User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eclectus beak, too long?

Parrots

I have my almost 2 year old umbrella cockatoo, Mina.
    I was going to say the same thing. How is that poor baby eating. It looks beautiful and healthy good feathers it really does need a trim. 70 birds?!! Is he a hoarder? That's a lot of birds to keep up. Maybe he should be checked up on by ASPCA just to make sure their conditions are good. I'm sorry maybe this is out of place but I worry about someone that isn't a rescue having that many birds. You all that have large flocks know what it's like to keep up with them. 70!!

2. The following 3 users like this post:

Debra (05-03-2014), Mare (05-04-2014), Turquoise (05-04-2014)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Kim, I'm thinking he may be a breeder of small birds, I, like you, was also amazed to learn, that someone could have a huge amount of birds without being a hoarder but there are breeders out there that have what it takes to do this,,I just don't know about THIS guy. I'll check in with my friend to see what she knows.

Parrots

2 Male Catalina Macaws, Roscoe & Angel~1 Female Green Wing Macaw, Ruby Jewel~1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus, Leyla Belle~1 Female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Peta (R.I.P.)~1 White Capped Pionus, Sierra Sunrise~ 1 Rose Breasted Cockatoo, Dakota Nakira'Too~1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Serita Lynae, 10 Parakeets
    That is beyond too long of a beak for an ekkie! ! Even my macaws don't have that excessive a beak and they are supposed to have long curved ones. My ekkie Leyla Bell is not much of a chewer either, but she does take spells of chewing her wooden toys. I've had her almost 2 yrs now and have never had to trim her beak any yet. She apparently chews enough on the wood and pellets to keep it in check.

Like you said Mare, 70 birds as a breeder is not excessive. 70 birds as a collector or pet parrot keeper could be considered excessive. And judging by this poor ekkie s beak he either hasn't the time to properly care for all his birds or he doesn't know what he's doing and if he is raising birds, I'd be wary of buying from him. Just my opinion with the photo of his ekkie.

Ya'll can look at Leyla Belle ' s beak in my signature at the bottom. Her beak stays about that short and she keeps it that way. Then look at the male in the photo above. Need I say more?!!
    Last edited by Turquoise; 05-04-2014 at 05:07 AM.
    ~~My Flock~~
    *In Loving Memory Of My Sweet Little Peta Girl~~R.I.P~~Love Mom*
    ~~Gotcha'~04/20/2012~~Flew Over The Rainbow Bridge~02/28/2014~~

5. The following 3 users like this post:

Debra (05-04-2014), Mare (05-04-2014), Pinkbirdy (05-04-2014)

Parrots

eclectus x 4, cockatiels x4, lories x2, budgies x26 and babies all year round of all my birds
    Ok that beak is to long.as for them in the wild they do chew to keep them down.in captivity if they are not give chew toys from a young age they wont chew,to keep them down,now he could have liver problems which will cause the beak to grow like that and fast.as for 70 birds I have had over 120 birds at one time and 90 of them were parrots. If set up right its easy.but he is not looking after that one right .so I would like to see the rest of his birds.growing up my uncle was the second biggest breeder in Australia in the state of N.S.W and it was him who showed me the correct way to set up for multiple aviaries. One of the biggest cause of beak over growning in eckies is bloody pellets,no eckie should be given pellets .if they being fed properlyon fresh fruit and veg and then given pellets all the owner is doing is over loading there eckie on vitamins and that is so dangerous and causes so many problems down the road, and shortens there life.

7. The following user likes this post:

Mare (05-04-2014)

Dont take it seriously. This breed of parrot generally have long beak. In some countries they are called the brother humming bird. These are very adorable and smart. Children love to play with them due to its long and sharp beak often children got injured.

9. The following user likes this post:

Mare (10-19-2015)