User Tag List

Thread: Bird Abbreviation Search Terms

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"

Bird Abbreviation Search Terms

I have modified the search indexes to allow two and three letter search queries for most of the common bird abbreviations (e.g., Hy, GW, CAG, BFA, etc.). You should now be able to use them to search for posts in 'Advanced Search' and 'Search Thread'.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

2. The following 3 users like this post:

Debra (04-12-2014), Honesty (04-12-2014), Kallaste (02-19-2015)

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    One caveat... Any bird abbreviations that contain non-alphabetic symbol characters, such as the "&" in "B&G", must be entered into the search field wrapped between asterisks (example: *B&G*) or they will return no results. All entirely alphabetic 2 and 3 letter bird species abbreviations will work fine by simply entering the letter characters.

EDIT: Please correct the sentence:

"Any bird abbreviations that contain non-alphabetic symbol characters, such as the "&" in "B&G", must be entered into the search field wrapped between asterisks (example: *B&G*) or they will return no results."

to read:

"Any bird abbreviations that contain non-alphabetic and non-numeric symbol characters, such as the "&" in "B&G", must be entered into the search field wrapped between asterisks (example: *B&G*) or they will return no results."

This means that you can enter search terms such as "M2" with no asterisks and your search should correctly render results. It's only abbreviations that include non-letter/numeral symbols which will require the leading and trailing asterisks.

Administrator

Parrots

I forgot to mention that you can enter abbreviations that include numbers into the search field without including asterisks. Please see my edit in the previous post.