User Tag List

Thread: Trying out new feathers

Parrots

1 Alexandrine Parakeet - Clover, 2 Goffin's Cockatoos - Kilo (who now lives with my best friend but I still love him) and Lilliputs, 1 African Grey (Congo) - Poet but she thinks her name is Beautiful.

Trying out new feathers

Last night I heard a ruckus in the bird room. There was wing flapping and screeching and my first thought was "oh crap the cat is in and I forgot to close the door." No, it was Clover trying out his new wing feathers. He was clinging to the cage and flapping his wings as hard as he could and screeching. When I got him last year he was clipped so I don't even know if he knows how to fly but I sure will try to teach him if he doesn't. I would love to see him fly and can't wait until the rest of his feathers come in. By the way, I hadn't let the cat in yet. LOL The cat has never really shown interest in the birds but I don't trust him anyway.

2. The following 3 users like this post:

kendrafitz (04-08-2014), Mare (04-09-2014), Turquoise (04-08-2014)

Parrots

2 Male Catalina Macaws, Roscoe & Angel~1 Female Green Wing Macaw, Ruby Jewel~1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus, Leyla Belle~1 Female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Peta (R.I.P.)~1 White Capped Pionus, Sierra Sunrise~ 1 Rose Breasted Cockatoo, Dakota Nakira'Too~1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Serita Lynae, 10 Parakeets
    Awww, isn't it wonderful when they realize they have wings and flutter them furiously about! Newly discovering they have the ability to fly is awesome to see.

That is until you have a big macaw on your arm and get smacked in the side of the head with one of those huge wings. Or worse yet when Roscoe tries to fly toward you and you put your arm up for a landing spot before he crashes into stuff. And he grabs the soft part between the thumb & first finger as his claws slip off your arm leaving him clinging with all his weight on your tender hide. OUCH!!! He left an nice gash & puncture hole from that one. LOL
    ~~My Flock~~
    *In Loving Memory Of My Sweet Little Peta Girl~~R.I.P~~Love Mom*
    ~~Gotcha'~04/20/2012~~Flew Over The Rainbow Bridge~02/28/2014~~

4. The following 2 users like this post:

kendrafitz (04-08-2014), Mare (04-09-2014)

Parrots

1 Alexandrine Parakeet - Clover, 2 Goffin's Cockatoos - Kilo (who now lives with my best friend but I still love him) and Lilliputs, 1 African Grey (Congo) - Poet but she thinks her name is Beautiful.
    I can't even imagine a huge macaw flying in my very small house. LOL It must be a sight.

Parrots

3 Alexandrines Oxy, hatched August 2012 Bruno, hatched August 2011 Prince, hatched August 2009
    my guys do that all the time too. like you, when i was given prince and bruno they had been clipped and didnt know how to fly. now they are the greatest fliers, so quick and agile. nothing beats watching them flying aroind the house and having them fly to me.

7. The following user likes this post:

2birds (04-09-2014)

Parrots

Gemini, Did you have to work with them to learn how to fly or did they figure it out on their own?

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Our Sassy came flighted but Amigo wasn't, he was clipped and could glide but once his feathers started coming in he was doing a lot of wing flapping while holding on to his cage. I can't answer for Gemini but from what I've seen it will come natural. Not real pretty, at first, lots of crashes and missed landing spots but with time, I think you will have a real Jedi on your hands!

10. The following user likes this post:

2birds (04-09-2014)

Parrots

Clover wasn't clipped very well. It was more like a hack job. He took off from my hand a couple of times and just crashed to the ground. Poor baby. He'll probably be over joyed when he finds out he can fly. I know it will be really cool once he gets the hang of it. Kilo flies around all over the place and really enjoys it. I have to keep an eye on that little booger. There are little pieces of wood missing from my kitchen cabinets now. And the chair. And the picture frame.
    Last edited by 2birds; 04-09-2014 at 02:57 AM.

12. The following user likes this post:

Mare (04-09-2014)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Heehee! Cockatoos are special in that sense,,,they like to chew, especially when you're not looking!

Parrots

Yeah, he is sneaky about it. If I catch him he will just look at me and say Reh, Reh, Reh. It sounds like he's mocking me. lol

15. The following user likes this post:

Mare (04-09-2014)