User Tag List

Thread: Befriending 2 Parrots (Congo african grey and green cheeked conure)

Parrots

Congo african grey parrot green cheeked conure

Befriending 2 Parrots (Congo african grey and green cheeked conure)

Hi every one, I am fairly new at both this forum and having pet parrots.

3 weeks ago I adopted a Green cheeked conure and I was loving it. I didnt want it to be alone so i adopted an african grey 1 week after that.

The issue here is that i read a least 4 books, searched on the internet and here are the main things i read about befriending 2 different parrots.

1 day i put them in different cages, in same room but far appart, each day i would get them closer but in different cages. When me and my wife were there we would always let them out but never without surveillance as the african grey often rushes toward the conure to bite it. When that occurs, i say no with a calm voice and with angry eyes. Never have i raised my voice.

It has been 2 weeks now,
    2 days ago i inserted the cage of one in the cage of the other (as one of the 2 cages is simply HUGE.)

Still no change in behavior, we ALWAYS have to be paying attention to the parrots when near each other.

here are some more info:

both birds are male, both are 3 months old, they have plenty of toys (15+)
    we are never away more than 5 hours in a day and while we are here they arent in their cage.

both birds are fine seperatly.

the conure seems to want to be friendly with the african grey, but the african grey always rush to bite (hard)
    luckily for us the conure is really agile and flies away when he gets too close.

I cant wait to be able to play with both without having to be afraid of one hurting the other.

Any advice would help alot

Thank you very much

Etienne

Well, Hello and Welcome to PP! This is a good place to find much information and we will help to the best of our abilities. Your birds may never become best friends with each other, or they may become the best of friends. Only time will tell. 2 weeks isn't enough time for them to be totally comfortable in their new home with strange people and another bird. Sounds like your gcc is adapting faster than the grey. Just give them time and don't push too hard for them to become friends. Believe it or not, when they are locked in their cages (if the cages are in sight of each other) they will get to know each other in their own ways. Out of cage time is important, but bear in mind that it may be a case of taking one out at a time while the other stays in his cage. When the grey becomes aggressive, put him back in his cage for a time out, then get him back out again. Once he realizes that the biting only results in being put in his cage then he may stop. Just take care that he doesn't come to think of his cage as a bad place to be.

These are just my thoughts and I am by no means a professional. These are just things that I've learned from being on forums like this one. I'll be interested in what the others think.

3. The following user likes this post:

Mare (04-06-2014)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Debra has some very good advice. From my own experience, it is always iffy, at best. Never let your birds together without you being present and watching their interactions. Being still such young birds, they may learn to accept each other's company, that would be ideal . If they don't, you'll have to accept that and keep them separate which means they will need your attention, one on one, with you. Birds are a trip, they teach me something new, everyday!

5. The following user likes this post:

Debra (04-06-2014)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Catalina Macaw - Harlow, Blue & Gold Macaw - Rocky, Greenwing Macaw - Ruby, Bluefront Amazon - Tequila, Hawkhead - Charlotte, 2 Blk hd Caiques - Sammy, Greta, Yellow streaked Lory - Louie, LesserSulpher 2 - Belly, Sunconure - Gingee, Yellow sided Greencheek - Disco, Goffin - Pearl, Rosebreasted 2 - Owen
    Both very good advice above . Also wanted to add about biting . Young birds especially nip [and it hurts]. Theirs a difference between nipping and biting .If their biting [and breaking skin] .Your doing something they don't want. These guys do try to let us know things. We just have to open are eyes wide.
    http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p779/Blancaej/Terrisignature2_zpsb1f5f78e.jpg

7. The following user likes this post:

Mare (04-07-2014)

Parrots

I have my almost 2 year old umbrella cockatoo, Mina.
    I agree with the above. Remember they aren't just trying to get to know each other but you as well. The undue stress of pushing them to quickly could cause a negative behavior such as biting or feather picking or illness from stress. It may be better to leave one in the cage and work one on one as Mare and Debra said. Also each bird should always have it's own cage. I'm hoping you not planning to cage these two together. Birds this large need their own space to feel safe and have privacy.

Parrots

2 Male Catalina Macaws, Roscoe & Angel~1 Female Green Wing Macaw, Ruby Jewel~1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus, Leyla Belle~1 Female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Peta (R.I.P.)~1 White Capped Pionus, Sierra Sunrise~ 1 Rose Breasted Cockatoo, Dakota Nakira'Too~1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Serita Lynae, 10 Parakeets
    Etienne, welcome to the forum. I hope you continue to keep us updated on your birds and how ya'll are all doing.

I do strongly advise you not to try to house these two or any birds you may get in the future together. It is quite dangerous to do so for the conure ' s sake more than the Grey. It can be done, as new parrot keepers you need to concentrate on learning everything you can about keeping them safe happy and healthy.

Get then separate play perches they can hang out on while out of cage time. If the Grey tries to get to the conure keep putting him back on his own perch. Use a favorite food as treat when he stays on his perch and doesn't bite or go after the conure.

Good luck and let's see some photos!
    ~~My Flock~~
    *In Loving Memory Of My Sweet Little Peta Girl~~R.I.P~~Love Mom*
    ~~Gotcha'~04/20/2012~~Flew Over The Rainbow Bridge~02/28/2014~~

10. The following user likes this post:

Debra (04-10-2014)