User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Handfeeding Formula?

Parrots

TAG: Cookie- female 30ish CAG: Kiwi- Male July 2004 CAG: Alice-Female August 2011 Alexis- Female June 20, 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    I just got the Harrison's Juvenile Handfeeding formula today. WOW! It is amazingly different (in a good way)then the Roudybush. It mixed up better,smelled better, and Hobbit gobbled it down! Then when he began pooping,even his droppings looked soo much better!!

So far, I am VERY pleased with Harrison's!

I recommend that formula for sure. My baby girl loved it and even my big babies loved it you can say no to a cutie that wants to eat off the spoon you are holding. Lexi still often begs for feedings as a 10 month old. She is spoiled rotten and a little lazy.

2. The following user likes this post:

Hobbit (05-01-2013)

Parrots

1 Quaker Parrot......So far!
    I become more impressed with Harrisons with each feeding! Not easy to do,because I was blown away with it after the FIRST feeding!! I know poop is not the best topic......But the difference in Hobbit's droppings is astounding....! His poop looks sooo much better,they are almost *pretty*!

4. The following 2 users like this post:

keepsmiling (05-02-2013), mistywaterwoman (05-01-2013)

Parrots

Umbrella cockatoo,Goffins Cockatoo, 2 red lored amazons, blue fronted amazon, 3 black capped conures, 4 green cheek conures, 16+/- american and english budgies and babies (linneolated parakeets, parrotlets, crimson bellied conures, budgies, green cheek conures at any given time)
    I have used kaytee in the past and absolutely hated it. It was gritty, didn't want to stay mixed and I have even seen it separate while in the babies crop, leaving a "mass" of formula on the bottom and water on the top. For years I used Zupreem formula without any issues(with that being said, I will state, I absolutely will not use the zupreem plus formula, I'm not going to go into detail as to why, suffice to say I've had some issues with that particular formula in the past), as long as it was mixed proportionately and at the right temperature it stayed mixed and the babies seemed to really thrive on it. For the past six months however I have been using hagen and I LOVE it. It is a very fine powder and mixes phenomenally and the babies gobble it up like it's going out of style. I have also noticed a bit more weight gain as well since I have made the switch. I also like to add a probiotic powder such as benebac to whichever formula I am using.

6. The following user likes this post:

Turquoise (10-23-2013)

Parrots

2 Male Catalina Macaws, Roscoe & Angel~1 Female Green Wing Macaw, Ruby Jewel~1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus, Leyla Belle~1 Female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Peta (R.I.P.)~1 White Capped Pionus, Sierra Sunrise~ 1 Rose Breasted Cockatoo, Dakota Nakira'Too~1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Serita Lynae, 10 Parakeets
    Great info about hand feeding formulas Sara. Thanks for adding it here, it could come in handy for someone trying to pick the best for their fabies.

I know most here are not hand feeding baby birds. But, anyone who brings home a just weaned baby parrot might need to still give a few comfort feedings until their fabie is settled in. I did this with my Roscoe and my Leyla Belle for a couple of weeks after they came home to live with me. I then switched over to plain oatmeal with shaved pecans & blended apples in it for a while at bedtime.
    ~~My Flock~~
    *In Loving Memory Of My Sweet Little Peta Girl~~R.I.P~~Love Mom*
    ~~Gotcha'~04/20/2012~~Flew Over The Rainbow Bridge~02/28/2014~~

8. The following user likes this post:

Feathers First Aviary (10-23-2013)

Parrots

Umbrella cockatoo,Goffins Cockatoo, 2 red lored amazons, blue fronted amazon, 3 black capped conures, 4 green cheek conures, 16+/- american and english budgies and babies (linneolated parakeets, parrotlets, crimson bellied conures, budgies, green cheek conures at any given time)
    This is a great thread, I think i may have to try the harrisons after reading all the good reviews on here. I like trying different formulas and then comparing the growth charts from different clutches raised on different formulas. And since so many companies seem to be having recall issues, it's always nice knowing which formulas you like best and second best etc, in case you have to suddenly switch because your main brand isn't available. My next goal is trying to make some home made formula, it's not something I plan on doing as a general rule but it would be nice to have some experience making it in case the need arises some day.

10. The following user likes this post:

Turquoise (10-23-2013)

Parrots

2 Male Catalina Macaws, Roscoe & Angel~1 Female Green Wing Macaw, Ruby Jewel~1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus, Leyla Belle~1 Female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Peta (R.I.P.)~1 White Capped Pionus, Sierra Sunrise~ 1 Rose Breasted Cockatoo, Dakota Nakira'Too~1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Serita Lynae, 10 Parakeets
    Homemade formula recipes sounds awesome! If you do come up with good homemade recipes you would recommend, please do add them. It never hurts to have something to fall back on in an emergency or when the local pet shop does not carry formulas to get you by til the order comes in.

And having an experienced breeder like you who knows the answers to any questions someone may have about hand feeding, formulas or emergency situations is always a very good asset to have here. Steve (coltfire) is also one of our breeders who has many hungry mouths to feed. We are blessed to have such knowledge in our flock.
    ~~My Flock~~
    *In Loving Memory Of My Sweet Little Peta Girl~~R.I.P~~Love Mom*
    ~~Gotcha'~04/20/2012~~Flew Over The Rainbow Bridge~02/28/2014~~

12. The following user likes this post:

Feathers First Aviary (10-23-2013)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    In reading over this old thread I thought a few of you could update your suggestions as to what constitutes a good hand feeding formula. Any takers?

Parrots

Greenwing macaws,Blue and Gold macaws,Calico macaws.Military macaws,Severe macaw,Hahns macaw,firey shouldered conures,Sun conures,Blue crowned conure,Blackwinged jardine,Greater jardine,Quakers,Congo african greys,Jenday conure,goldcapped conure and SI eclectus
    We use harrissons juvenile exlusively.We actually start once the eggs hatch in the nestbox by mixing it in with the parents food until the babies are pulled.Then as time goes on we thicken it with blendered roudybush pellets and eventually ween them onto feeding themselves
    "Ivo"

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Thanks Dave. Why do you use Roudybush pellets and not Harrisons?

Parrots

Greenwing macaws,Blue and Gold macaws,Calico macaws.Military macaws,Severe macaw,Hahns macaw,firey shouldered conures,Sun conures,Blue crowned conure,Blackwinged jardine,Greater jardine,Quakers,Congo african greys,Jenday conure,goldcapped conure and SI eclectus
    I would to a degree prefer to use harrissons and have an account with a vet for 25 lb bags.....$205.00 each
    I also have an account with a feed supplier for roudybush,both maintenance and breeder pellets....25 lb bags...$70.00
    Were feeding over 70 birds daily.The differance between the two is minimal as pellets go,although roudybush has some chemical additives....but in researching them, they all appear harmless.Harrissons, while claiming to be more organic may be a great choice for people with a couple birds,but just to expensive for us.Despite what many think...breeding birds is a labour of love...not so much a money maker.I have a full time job...my wife looks after the birds.We try and educate people moreso than sell to many young.Of the close to $275 thousand dollars we have invested into our hobby, we have educated thousands of local and worldwide people....but made only a few hundred bucks.I suppose if your actual question was why we use harrissons formula....the answer is harrissons is still a step above and starts our babies off with what I think is the best.Let me tell you.....the color and scheen of their feathers explodes with brilliance on this formula.
    "Ivo"

17. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (11-16-2015)