User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Handfeeding Formula?

Parrots

1 Quaker Parrot......So far!

Question Best Handfeeding Formula?

Way back when we handfed babies,most of today's handfeeding formulas were not available. And since we got Hobbit as a 5 week old,and are continuing his/her handfeedings,I am very curious about the formula he's on. The breeder uses Roudybush,so that is what we're using too.But as I read the ingredient list,the only "food" listed is corn startch,corn flour,soy oil,and soy flour. The rest is vitamins and minerals. I have been reading online about different brands of "baby" formula, some sound ok,many just read like a biscquick label.

What does everyone here use?

Parrots

Jake the Yellow Nape and many other amazons
    I don't think there's much difference in todays handfeeding formulas. I raised lots of zons on cream of wheat ceral mixed with fresh fruit or baby food. 15/20 yrs ago we switched to commercial baby formulas. i don't think the survival rate has improved. But we try and do what is best. Some folks,like Howard Voren make their own formula ,but they feed many more babies than i do. Check out voren.com and read some of his articles, or his book "Parrots, handfeeding and nursery management". I usually use what ever brand of formula that i plan to wean them on to pellets. That has changed several times over the years. Variety is best and at 5 weeks i'd start adding different foods to their formula.

3. The following user likes this post:

roxynoodle (04-24-2013)

Parrots

TAG: Cookie- female 30ish CAG: Kiwi- Male July 2004 CAG: Alice-Female August 2011 Alexis- Female June 20, 2012
    I used Harrisons with my baby. She loved it but as said before I don't think there is as much difference.

Parrots

Red Fronted Macaw~Holly, Hawk-Headed Parrots~ Cochise & Yuna, Black Capped Conure~Elfe, Softbills- Green Aracari~Pico, American Singer Canary~Kismet, Blue Naped Mousebird~Gryphon
    With Holly{RFM} I used Zupreem Embrace Plus.{macaws need the extra fat} Just don't use Kaytee!

Parrots

Thanks everybody! We're going to use Harrison's Juvenile Formula. Although Hobbit is gaining weight,I think he/she will do better with some actual food in the formula,and not just corn starch,corn flour and soy flour,like the Roudybush. Plus,Hobbit will be almost 7 weeks old by the time I begin switching.

7. The following user likes this post:

mistywaterwoman (04-26-2013)

Parrots

2 peach faced lovebirds (one is seagreen)
    I think that makes a lot of sense.

9. The following user likes this post:

Hobbit (04-27-2013)

Parrots

Blue quaker parrot and moustache parakeet
    Quote Originally Posted by keepsmiling View Post
    With Holly{RFM} I used Zupreem Embrace Plus.{macaws need the extra fat} Just don't use Kaytee!
    Hi. I am new here and have a baby moustache parakeet. Can I ask why you say don't use Kaytee? Is it because of the problems they had last year with their formula? I've always used kaytee in the past. Last year I did switch to zupreem when I was handfeeding a baby for a friend but I did not like how it mixed it so when the breeder told me they had been using kaytee, I bought some and have been using it too since I got the baby on Sunday.

Parrots

I'm no expert on handfeeding formulas,which is why I posted to begin with....But I think Kaytee is considered substandard compared to all of the other brands out there. Sort of like "junk food".

Parrots

Blue quaker parrot and moustache parakeet
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    I'm no expert on handfeeding formulas,which is why I posted to begin with....But I think Kaytee is considered substandard compared to all of the other brands out there. Sort of like "junk food".
    Ok, thanks. I guess I am kind of surprised to hear that because I know of quite a few breeders that use it. Not only use it but sell it. Maybe I'll look into some of the others and start swiitching my baby over.

Parrots

I just got the Harrison's Juvenile Handfeeding formula today. WOW! It is amazingly different (in a good way)then the Roudybush. It mixed up better,smelled better, and Hobbit gobbled it down! Then when he began pooping,even his droppings looked soo much better!!

So far, I am VERY pleased with Harrison's!

14. The following user likes this post:

mistywaterwoman (05-01-2013)