User Tag List

Thread: Lucy might be wearing out her welcome

Lucy might be wearing out her welcome

Jerry has just about had it with her incessant need to dig holes in the floor and chew holes in the sheetrock (walls). He's talking about either finding another ekkie for her (preferrably a male) or rehoming her. I don't know what to do about this. He's never gotten as upset with her as he did today. It's getting to the point that we cannot let her out because she just runs to a dark spot and starts digging. Do you think having another ekkie might help her out some?

Any thoughts on this from anyone? I just don't know what to do.

Debra, I am not sure what to suggest about this! Getting a male may be the answer, but, then again it could make her worse

Parrots

2 Male Catalina Macaws, Roscoe & Angel~1 Female Green Wing Macaw, Ruby Jewel~1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus, Leyla Belle~1 Female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Peta (R.I.P.)~1 White Capped Pionus, Sierra Sunrise~ 1 Rose Breasted Cockatoo, Dakota Nakira'Too~1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Serita Lynae, 10 Parakeets
    Oh Dear!! I hope you don't have to rehome Lucy. I am thinking since you mention she is in breeding mode all the time that a male would be what she desires. Now if that would change her bad habits of digging and destroying the walls, I just don't know. I've never ventured into the keeping of pairs except budgies, so I have no experience at whether it curbs the need to go find a hiding place to nest.

Have you tried giving Lucy a nesting box in her cage or area she stays in during the day? Some sort of wooden box that would suffice her need to find a dark place to build? And give her some paper to shred inside so she gets the need to dig out of her system. It might not appease her at first, but if you try several times or leave the box in with her if she will allow that, she would be more apt to get used to it and use it for her breeding needs. That is all I can think of that could curb her need for a dark place to run to short of stainless steel walls in her play area.
    Last edited by Turquoise; 03-13-2014 at 05:19 AM.
    ~~My Flock~~
    *In Loving Memory Of My Sweet Little Peta Girl~~R.I.P~~Love Mom*
    ~~Gotcha'~04/20/2012~~Flew Over The Rainbow Bridge~02/28/2014~~

We've tried that and what happens is that she will sit in there and pluck out of boredom. I feel that there is no real answer here. I'm not sure that rehoming her will be the answer either as she will most likely display the same behaviors in her new home. Ugh!

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Have you had her to the vet recently to see if she would be a candidate for Lupron shots?

No we haven't gotten that far with the vet. I was reminded that the days are getting longer so I think I will keep her covered longer. Maybe that will help some. I'm also taking some mini behavioral lessons that are based on Barbara Heidenreich's studies. Hopefully between the two things I'm doing something will help. I really do NOT want to rehome her because that most likely will not curb her behavior. I'm not going to give up on her.

7. The following 2 users like this post:

spiritbird (03-14-2014), Turquoise (03-14-2014)

Good for you Deb! I hope it all works out with Lucy!

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    My personal thoughts are, getting another Ekkie may be a crap shoot. You won't know till it's there and then you'll have another mission to accomplish. Is her cage large enough to give her the freedom needed to nest? The days ARE getting longer and I notice with my cockatoos..they DO notice! I try and shut them down by sundown, (black out curtains), and don't open up their room until 12hrs. later. Mine display mating type behavior but that's an always thing. Since I've given them at least 12hrs. of darkness,, it doesn't get worse.

10. The following user likes this post:

Debra (03-14-2014)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Catalina Macaw - Harlow, Blue & Gold Macaw - Rocky, Greenwing Macaw - Ruby, Bluefront Amazon - Tequila, Hawkhead - Charlotte, 2 Blk hd Caiques - Sammy, Greta, Yellow streaked Lory - Louie, LesserSulpher 2 - Belly, Sunconure - Gingee, Yellow sided Greencheek - Disco, Goffin - Pearl, Rosebreasted 2 - Owen
    Ive noticed the craziness at my house too [with the light ]. This is a hard one. It sounds like has learned when she comes out she can go where she wants. Instead of staying on playstand or cage. Where is her cage located now ? The only thing I can think of to make a difference is do a 180 with her. Belly are Ls2 immediately bonded with Dave . We had her in the den with him [and it got to bet too much] I put her in a different room and changed everything [and it worked] Put her somewhere new and change her routine to what you want it [be consistent] . When she comes out ,put her on a playstand. If she hops off ,put her back in her cage . Visit her a TON !! Make a huge deal about her [keep trying]. Use shredding things to keep her busy [like newspaper and cardboard].This is going to be really hard but I think it can be done . Both of you have to be on board . Remember change everything ,then start implementing the new routine on the playstand.
    http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p779/Blancaej/Terrisignature2_zpsb1f5f78e.jpg

12. The following 2 users like this post:

Debra (03-14-2014), Turquoise (03-14-2014)

Thanks for the ideas everyone! We will be trying some of them. We had been giving her newspaper to shred but stopped that because we felt it was making it worse. Maybe now that it's spring time we should give it back to her and let her shred to her hearts content? That would help her get rid of some of that pent up energy.