User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Skip

Parrots

2 Male Catalina Macaws, Roscoe & Angel~1 Female Green Wing Macaw, Ruby Jewel~1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus, Leyla Belle~1 Female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Peta (R.I.P.)~1 White Capped Pionus, Sierra Sunrise~ 1 Rose Breasted Cockatoo, Dakota Nakira'Too~1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Serita Lynae, 10 Parakeets
    Very beautiful pigeon you are Skip!! I also love pigeons and doves. Used to have a few many years ago when we had ducks, geese, turkeys, pheasants, quail, pea fowl, and chickens just for fun. No one was ever eaten by humans. That is so sweet you taking in Skip and bringing him full circle to becoming a wonderful addition to your aviary.

Your pigeon Mare was very lucky to find you before it flew back home only to be rubbed out for its efforts. I am glad you found it a great home and it didn't have to go back to its ungrateful former owners.

I have a friend in another town who found a baby Mourning Dove when it fell out of its nest as a tiny baby several years ago. She raised it and still has it as a pet much the same reason you couldn't release Skip, Dawn. It was imprinted on her and loves her like his mate.
    ~~My Flock~~
    *In Loving Memory Of My Sweet Little Peta Girl~~R.I.P~~Love Mom*
    ~~Gotcha'~04/20/2012~~Flew Over The Rainbow Bridge~02/28/2014~~

2. The following 2 users like this post:

Honesty (02-27-2014), Mare (02-27-2014)

Parrots

Jack/ Blue and Gold Macaw, Pickles/ Galah, Pip/ African Grey, Charlie/ Amazon, Cracker/ Cockatoo, Buddy and Bobby/ Sun Conures, Mickey, Millie, Robbie and Lady/ Green Cheek Conures, Tom/ Senegal, Woody/ hand reared Cockatiel (plus many aviary birds - Cockatiels / Budgies / Lovebirds / and Ring Neck Parakeets.)
    Thanks for all the comments, it is great to know that there are others out there that appreciate all wildlife. And are willing to give there time and care to help them. I know Wendy has had her hands full trying to get me to join in more, I have watched many forums over few months and have seen people gang up on people. After I posted this I realised I could of made a mistake. as pigeons are not highly thought of.

I am pleased Wendy has kept trying for me to join in as I can see what great bunch of people are on here.

Skip is loved as much as my other birds and I am pleased you can see his qualities too. I feel sad that skip could not be released , but I look back at all the hundreds I have released , I am human I was gonna make a mistake, and one out of it all is not bad. And skip thinks it a great life being treated like a pet.

4. The following 3 users like this post:

Debra (02-27-2014), Mare (02-27-2014), Turquoise (02-27-2014)

Parrots

2 Male Catalina Macaws, Roscoe & Angel~1 Female Green Wing Macaw, Ruby Jewel~1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus, Leyla Belle~1 Female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Peta (R.I.P.)~1 White Capped Pionus, Sierra Sunrise~ 1 Rose Breasted Cockatoo, Dakota Nakira'Too~1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Serita Lynae, 10 Parakeets
    We tend to be a kinder gentler bunch of critter/bird lovers here on this forum. Not every creature can live a free life as it was meant to be. The fact that you and others who care deeply for all animals are willing to share your life with them when they can't is an awesome thing. People who can't see that are living a sad life in my opinion.

Many years ago back in the late 1980s when my son was still home as a teenager he & I raised a tiny newly hatched sparrow that had been blown out of its nest during a rain storm. It had fallen on my cement driveway, had a bruise on its tiny head, was cold to the touch and I just knew it would die. I held it & blew on it til it warmed and began opening its mouth wide for food. My son Jory & I looked frantically for bugs and found a very few. It ate them and I fixed it a warm nest to spend the night in. Since I'd never raised a baby bird before & knew we could not catch enough bugs to keep it alive, I called a former English teacher I knew raised budgies & Cockatiels. I asked her what we could feed this baby to get it to live. She told me to go to the feed store and buy a bag of chick starter. Thin it out to a gruel and warm it slightly and it should do fine on that. We did and raised M & Ms (the name Jory gave it) to a beautiful sparrow. Jory could open its cage and call it. It would fly to him and sit for hours on his shoulder. Once it was old enough we set it free and for a couple of weeks Jory could go outside and call M & Ms and it would fly right to him. Then one day it never came and we hoped it found a mate and lived a happy life. Most folks hate sparrows and would never have bothered with worrying over how to feed it. I feel so blessed that my son & I shared this impossible feat and gave that tiny baby a chance. In return it gave that love back to my son by coming back to him even tho it was free.
    ~~My Flock~~
    *In Loving Memory Of My Sweet Little Peta Girl~~R.I.P~~Love Mom*
    ~~Gotcha'~04/20/2012~~Flew Over The Rainbow Bridge~02/28/2014~~

6. The following 4 users like this post:

Debra (02-27-2014), Honesty (02-27-2014), kendrafitz (02-27-2014), Mare (02-27-2014)

Thanks for all the comments, it is great to know that there are others out there that appreciate all wildlife. And are willing to give there time and care to help them. I know Wendy has had her hands full trying to get me to join in more, I have watched many forums over few months and have seen people gang up on people. After I posted this I realised I could of made a mistake. as pigeons are not highly thought of.

I am pleased Wendy has kept trying for me to join in as I can see what great bunch of people are on here.

Skip is loved as much as my other birds and I am pleased you can see his qualities too. I feel sad that skip could not be released , but I look back at all the hundreds I have released , I am human I was gonna make a mistake, and one out of it all is not bad. And skip thinks it a great life being treated like a pet.
    I told you what lovely members we have here Dawn We are like one big happy family (most of the time) LOL

We look forward to hearing lots more of your stories! I know you have many to share with us

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    Dawn - I loved reading your stories. It is such a wonderful thing to help animals in need. No matter what anyone else thinks. It takes a special type if person to take the time to do so.

I especially enjoyed your woodpecker story! What a great ending!!

Mare - that pigeon was beyond lucky that you drive down that road when you did!!
    Rosie & Kendra

9. The following user likes this post:

Mare (02-27-2014)

Parrots

Quincy CAG Hatched 03/2000 Gotcha @ 3 months old ~ Savannah GW Macaw Hatched 06/1993 Gotcha 4/2013 ~ Coqui B&G Macaw Hatched 09/2003 Gotcha 10/2013 ~ Sidney Blue Crown Conure Gotcha Day 06/2015 Hatch Date Guess 06/2010.
    Beautiful bird Dawn.