User Tag List

Thread: Budgie Care Guide

Nobility Member

Parrots

Peatree, Honey, and Pressie the GCCs, Paris the budgie, Grey Bird the CAG, and Jester Bean the C2

Budgie Care Guide

Budgie Care Guide:

I have owned seven budgies, each with their own amazing personalities. Some of them were very sweet and social, and some preferred to keep their distance from me.

They LOVE to play and explore. Mine like to fly around my room and land on just about anything. My fan, my TV, my lamps. But their favorite is landing on my green cheek’s cage and going in there to play with her toys and eat her food. They also love to tease her.

Budgies were first recorded in 1805, and today they are the third most popular pet in the world, after the domesticated dog and cat.

Budgies are native to Australia.

Housing Needs:

Budgies need enough space to fly, play, and move around in their cage. 18x18x18 is the MINIMUM size a cage should be, although bigger is much better. Flight cages are the best.

Noise Level:

Budgies can be noisy. Mine chatter most of the day, and sometimes have noisy screeching fests. Most of their noises are quiet and sweet sounding. Although they do have their loud moments.

Diet:

Budgies should be fed a combination of seeds, pellets, vegetables, and fruits. Mine enjoy fresh broccoli, bell pepper, spinach, kale, apple, pear, watermelon, and banana. They also like corn on the cob.

Lifespan:

With proper care, budgies can live to be 15 years old.

Extra Info:

Budgies need to have at least 2-3 hours of out of cage flight time every day.

Budgies also do better in pairs or groups.

Please feel free to add anything or talk about your own budgies below!
    "Every once in awhile, a bird comes into your life and changes everything."

Always, Weasley. 2010 ~ 2013

Custom Pet Portraits ~ Art by Madalyn C

2. The following user likes this post:

Turquoise (04-23-2014)

Great post Maddy

4. The following user likes this post:

Maddy (02-19-2014)

Parrots

2 Male Catalina Macaws, Roscoe & Angel~1 Female Green Wing Macaw, Ruby Jewel~1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus, Leyla Belle~1 Female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Peta (R.I.P.)~1 White Capped Pionus, Sierra Sunrise~ 1 Rose Breasted Cockatoo, Dakota Nakira'Too~1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Serita Lynae, 10 Parakeets
    That's a super good write up on the amazing little parrot we all lovingly call Budgies, Maddy!

I have had many budgies in my long lifetime and currently own 10 now. None of the present ones are friendly even tho I have tried to hand tame some of them. I don't mind since I have plenty of cuddle bugs in my flock. In fact my now Budgies are the reason I got all my other parrots. I decided I wanted larger parrots in my life again.

My most favorite, special budgie was a normal blue American Budgie I got in 1980. He was 6 days out of the nest and was the sweetest little fluff of feathers I could have ever brought home. His name was Cherokee and he learned to talk very well. Nothing pleased this little budgie more than to hang out with me. I had one more male after Cherokee that learned to talk, but this one did not like to be held. He was a mix color of blues, yellows, and greens so I named him Skittles like the candy.

I have been asked more than once if my budgies drove me crazy with their constant chatter and noise. I look at them and think, "Seriously?" "You ask a person who has 3 macaws and an Eclectus in her flock if these little Fluff Butts are noisy?" "You're kidding me right?" But I just smile and say, "Nope, I love to hear their sweet little sing songs." I get so used to them I barely know they are even in the house. LOL
    Last edited by Turquoise; 04-23-2014 at 04:25 AM.
    ~~My Flock~~
    *In Loving Memory Of My Sweet Little Peta Girl~~R.I.P~~Love Mom*
    ~~Gotcha'~04/20/2012~~Flew Over The Rainbow Bridge~02/28/2014~~

6. The following user likes this post:

Debra (04-23-2014)