User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chickens and Ducks :)

Parrots

Punky (Galah), Skittles (Rainbow Lorikeet), Mia (Sun Conure), Max (Green Cheek Conure), Tonks (Cockatiel), Tessa (Cockatiel), Lola (Budgie), Sid (Lovebird), Aussie (Lovebird), Johnny (Lovebird)

Chickens and Ducks :)

Okay so these aren't parrots, but they're too cute to not share
    Not all of them have names yet but we're getting there - we have 11 hens and 3 roosters, and 3 ducks (1 drake, 2 hens)...

Fluffy

Ronny Rooster

2. The following 6 users like this post:

Anne & Gang (02-11-2014), Debra (02-11-2014), kendrafitz (02-12-2014), Mare (02-12-2014), spiritbird (02-11-2014), Turquoise (02-12-2014)

Parrots

Punky (Galah), Skittles (Rainbow Lorikeet), Mia (Sun Conure), Max (Green Cheek Conure), Tonks (Cockatiel), Tessa (Cockatiel), Lola (Budgie), Sid (Lovebird), Aussie (Lovebird), Johnny (Lovebird)
    And our 3 Swedish Ducks the 'Splash' (whitey grey) one, we've named Jemima, the other 2 don't have names yet...

4. The following 4 users like this post:

Anne & Gang (02-11-2014), Debra (02-11-2014), kendrafitz (02-12-2014), Mare (02-12-2014)

Beautiful Emma. I love Fluffy

Emma -- it is my dream to one day have a chicken coop. My worry is that there are so many wild animals around here from chicken snakes to dogs to wolfs to foxes to........ The list goes on and on. I'd have to build a very sturdy structure to keep them in and I'm just not able to do that just now. My brother keeps chickens and quail. I love going over to his place and watching/listening to them. Thank you for posting these. I love those pics of Jemima flapping her wings.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Peatree, Honey, and Pressie the GCCs, Paris the budgie, Grey Bird the CAG, and Jester Bean the C2
    AWWW! I LOVE Fluffy! Is he a silkie? I love silkies!
    "Every once in awhile, a bird comes into your life and changes everything."

Always, Weasley. 2010 ~ 2013

Custom Pet Portraits ~ Art by Madalyn C

Parrots

Haha yes Fluffy is a silkie, so is the one in the first photo my partner didn't want me to get silkies because their eggs are small and therefore 'useless', but they are waaaay too cute to not have! the black and brown chicks are double laced barnevelders, and Ronny Rooster is a buff sussex - all our others are mix breeds...
    Debra, that was my main worry and the main reason I put off getting them for so long! Considering Australia is full of so many deadly animals, I think we actually have less predators than a lot of other places! Our main worry is foxes, but also the occasional snake or hawk - my partner managed to turn our existing shed into a pretty good looking, big, and secure pen for them, but it will only really protect them from foxes and hawks... We don't really get too many snakes down here (that I've seen) so I'm hoping that won't be a problem (fingers crossed!)... We free range them during the day and have made sure they have plenty of undercover areas they can hide from hawks and such if needed...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Nobility Member

Parrots

Catalina Macaw - Harlow, Blue & Gold Macaw - Rocky, Greenwing Macaw - Ruby, Bluefront Amazon - Tequila, Hawkhead - Charlotte, 2 Blk hd Caiques - Sammy, Greta, Yellow streaked Lory - Louie, LesserSulpher 2 - Belly, Sunconure - Gingee, Yellow sided Greencheek - Disco, Goffin - Pearl, Rosebreasted 2 - Owen
    Woo hoo! [Their neat}! Dave and I go to fairs in the summer just to check out all the different kinds of chickens
    http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p779/Blancaej/Terrisignature2_zpsb1f5f78e.jpg

Parrots

2 Male Catalina Macaws, Roscoe & Angel~1 Female Green Wing Macaw, Ruby Jewel~1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus, Leyla Belle~1 Female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Peta (R.I.P.)~1 White Capped Pionus, Sierra Sunrise~ 1 Rose Breasted Cockatoo, Dakota Nakira'Too~1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Serita Lynae, 10 Parakeets
    Love the photos Emma!! They are all so pretty and bring back some fond memories. Your ducks are quite beautiful. I have not seen any like them I can remember.

Bantam chickens are my most favorite! I had several when I was a teen still living at home. My love for them started when a Golden Sebrite rooster came walking into my backyard. I had no idea who he belonged to and he just stayed. I had 3 horses and 4 rabbits at the time in our backyard in town of all places! So Mom & I found someone in town who raised several kinds of Bantams and I got him a chickie friend, girl of course. That led to me getting a pair of white silkies and an Araucanian colored egg laying African chicken. She wasn't a Bantam, so I got a Rhode Island Red rooster from my sister to go with her. And I hatched out a couple of Bantam eggs in a makeshift incubator made from a small ice chest & light bulb. One was a Buff Cochin and the other was a Silver Sebrite, both hen chicks. The buff Cochin didn't get out of her egg soon enough before I found they had hatched and always had a weird twist to her neck when she would look up at me, so I named her Dizzy Doolittle. I always wanted a pair of black Silkies, but never did get any. I've had ducks & geese in the past too as well as many other barnyard type fowl. They were lots of fun to watch.
    ~~My Flock~~
    *In Loving Memory Of My Sweet Little Peta Girl~~R.I.P~~Love Mom*
    ~~Gotcha'~04/20/2012~~Flew Over The Rainbow Bridge~02/28/2014~~

Parrots

I'm hoping to get a black silkie rooster, the person I got these ones off didn't have any available at the moment but I'm sure I'll find one somewhere the main worry there is that I would like to breed them and I'd like them to be purebred - but I could well end up with waaay too many roosters if I did that lol... At the moment we have 2 sussex roosters and we're reasonably sure that one of the barnevelder chicks is a rooster but not 100% sure yet... So at the moment it works out as 3 roosters to 11 hens - any more roosters and we'd need more hens...
    Have you seen the frizzle chickens? They look like silkies that have been electrocuted! I want some

12. The following user likes this post:

Turquoise (02-12-2014)

Parrots

2 Male Catalina Macaws, Roscoe & Angel~1 Female Green Wing Macaw, Ruby Jewel~1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus, Leyla Belle~1 Female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Peta (R.I.P.)~1 White Capped Pionus, Sierra Sunrise~ 1 Rose Breasted Cockatoo, Dakota Nakira'Too~1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Serita Lynae, 10 Parakeets
    I have seen photos of the frizzled chickens on the internet. They are super funny looking. I think they would be awesome to have as well. I did look up silkies a couple of years ago online thinking I might get some one day and was amazed at all the colors they come in now. They are my favorite of the 'decorative' feathered bantams.

It amazes me how many different chicken breeds they have nowadays compared to when I was a little girl (a very long time ago) and my Grandma had White Leghorns and Rhode Island Reds. I never dreamed there would be so many neat colors and feather types til I began reading about them in later years. Chickens do make sweet friendly pets. My Araucanian hen got sick once and I took her to the vet. Can't remember now what it was, but she needed some meds. I went to work after giving her the dose and putting her back in her pen. I came home after work and my Mom had her roosting on the arm of her chair in the house babying that silly chicken! She told me she looked sad in the pen and wanted to make sure she was alright.
    ~~My Flock~~
    *In Loving Memory Of My Sweet Little Peta Girl~~R.I.P~~Love Mom*
    ~~Gotcha'~04/20/2012~~Flew Over The Rainbow Bridge~02/28/2014~~