User Tag List

Thread: Amazon Parrot Care Guide!

Amazon Parrot Care Guide!

Amazon Parrot care guide:

I have Codie who is a Yellow Crowned Amazon Parrot and have had him since he was 11 weeks old. He is very comical and likes lots of attention! He has quite a varied vocabulary and spends hours chatting away One of these days, I will catch him on video I have even tried hiding it and just recording him talking, but,
    he just knows it is there He is a very picky eater and I have spent ££'s trying different types of food for him. I would say his favourite veg is Corn, Green Beans, Brussel Sprouts and Butternut squash! His favourite fruits are Grapes and Strawberries. He also loves all types of nuts. I have to limit him with these, as he would eat them all day long!

On the whole, Codie is a good boy He is not a great chewer and has never damaged any furniture! He does have his little mood swings though! When he is like this, I just know to leave him alone. This saves having a chunk taken out of my arm!

Amazons do have quite a bad reputation for being very aggressive, but I would say, it is really just a case of reading their body language, which is very easy to detect with a Zon. If they are angry, they pin their eyes and flare out their tails!

Amazons are native to Mexico and South America, in Brazil.

They mature at around 5 to 7 years old and can become very hormonal during this time and also very aggressive! (I have this to look forward to)

Housing needs:

Amazons need quite a large cage. They are very active and need lots of room to swing about! Codie's cage is 40" x 30"x 72". It is also a must to have a large playstand with lots of toys to play with Codie will quite happily play on his stand for most of the day As long as he can see me, then he is fine!

Noise Level:

Amazons are loud, so I would not recommend as Apartment birds. Codie tends to scream when I have company, or if I leave the room. They can also become one person birds as Codie is!

Diet:

An Amazons diet needs to be watched closely, If they are fed the wrong type of food they can become obese very quickly, so, a diet of pellets, a small amount of seed, (no sunflower seeds) fresh veggies/fruits, bean/rice mix would be a good choice. They need a low in fat diet as they are very prone to fatty liver disease. In the wild, they eat fresh fruits, nuts, seeds, and flowers.

Lifespan:

Amazons can live up to 70 years!

Extra info:

Amazons need at least 2 to 3 hours of one to one time with the owners each day.
    They also need between 10 and 12 hours uninterupted sleep per night!

Amazon species (which are mainly kept as pets)

Blue-fronted Amazon - Amazona aestiva
    Double Yellow-headed Amazon - Amazona oratrix
    Green-cheeked Amazon or Red-crowned Amazon- Amazona viridigenalis
    Lilac-crowned Amazon - Amazona finschi
    Lilacine Amazon - Amazona autumnalis
    Mealy Amazon - Amazona farinosa
    Orange-winged Amazon - Amazona amazonica
    Panama Amazon - Amazona panamensis
    Red-lored Amazon - Amazona autumnalis
    White-fronted Amazon - Amazona albifrons
    Yellow-crowned Amazon - Amazona ochrocephala ochrocephala
    Yellow-naped Amazon - Amazona auropalliata

The not so common species:

Cuban Amazon or Rose-throated Parrot, Amazona leucocephala
    Yellow-billed Amazon, Amazona collaria
    Hispaniolan Amazon, Amazona ventralis
    Puerto Rican Amazon, Amazona vittata
    Yellow-lored Amazon, Amazona xantholora
    Black-billed Amazon, Amazona agilis
    Red-spectacled Amazon, Amazona pretrei
    Blue-cheeked Amazon, Amazona dufresniana
    Red-browed Amazon, Amazona rhodocorytha
    Red-tailed Amazon, Amazona brasiliensis
    Festive Amazon, Amazona festiva
    Yellow-shouldered Amazon, Amazona barbadensis
    Kawall's Amazon, Amazona kawalli
    Scaly-naped Amazon, Amazona mercenaria
    Vinaceous Amazon, Amazona vinacea
    St Lucia Amazon, Amazona versicolor
    Red-necked Amazon, Amazona arausiaca
    St. Vincent Amazon, Amazona guildingii
    Imperial Amazon, Amazona imperialis

If I think of anything else, I will add it here

Please feel free to add your own experiences with your Zon

2. The following 4 users like this post:

Maddy (02-05-2014), merlinsmom13 (02-06-2014), plax (02-06-2014), Turquoise (02-06-2014)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Peatree, Honey, and Pressie the GCCs, Paris the budgie, Grey Bird the CAG, and Jester Bean the C2
    This is a very helpful post for anyone thinking about getting a amazon!

I think we should have threads like this for all bird species, and make them stickies! (:
    "Every once in awhile, a bird comes into your life and changes everything."

Always, Weasley. 2010 ~ 2013

Custom Pet Portraits ~ Art by Madalyn C

Quote Originally Posted by Maddy View Post
    This is a very helpful post for anyone thinking about getting a amazon!

I think we should have threads like this for all bird species, and make them stickies! (:
    Thanks Maddy. Yes, this is what we are hoping to do I have started us off with Amazons and we hope to eventually have a thread on every species

Nobility Member

Parrots

Peatree, Honey, and Pressie the GCCs, Paris the budgie, Grey Bird the CAG, and Jester Bean the C2
    Awesome! I can help with one for budgies and conures, if you'd like. (:
    "Every once in awhile, a bird comes into your life and changes everything."

Always, Weasley. 2010 ~ 2013

Custom Pet Portraits ~ Art by Madalyn C

6. The following user likes this post:

Honesty (02-05-2014)

That would be great Maddy

Parrots

Lola (Cuban Amazon), Lucifer (Black Headed Caique), Crush (Sun Conure), Zoe (Black Headed Caique), Scarlet (Scarlet Macaw)
    I have had my Lola, a Cuban Amazon, since the day she was born. Cuban Amazons are not readily available outside of Florida and California as a Federal Permit is required to sell across State lines. She is much quieter than most of the larger amazons, perfectly content to whittle a chew toy for hours. There are the regularly schedule 8:30-9:15 am and 4:30-5:00 pm jungle noise concerts, advance reservations not required. Dietary requirements are the same for the larger amazons (she weighs 233g). Amazons generally require effort on the part of the keeper to get meaningful exercise as they are quite content to sit on the top of their cage and do very little. At a minimum, 1 hour of unfiltered natural sunlight (preferable) or full spectrum lighting (acceptable) is required to keep them in tip top shape. Additionally, Amazons are quite fond of bathing. Each individual will have their preferred method, but they should be allowed to bathe a few times a week. A content amazon will release an aroma that most 'zon owners find absolutely heavenly. To me Lola emits a flowery scent when she is happy. Doug on the other hand says she smells like gym sock.

9. The following 2 users like this post:

Honesty (02-06-2014), Turquoise (02-06-2014)

Parrots

2 Male Catalina Macaws, Roscoe & Angel~1 Female Green Wing Macaw, Ruby Jewel~1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus, Leyla Belle~1 Female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Peta (R.I.P.)~1 White Capped Pionus, Sierra Sunrise~ 1 Rose Breasted Cockatoo, Dakota Nakira'Too~1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Serita Lynae, 10 Parakeets
    That's a great idea Wendy to start these. I guess I'm elected to make one for the Pionus species since I am the only owner here who has posted about their bird.
    ~~My Flock~~
    *In Loving Memory Of My Sweet Little Peta Girl~~R.I.P~~Love Mom*
    ~~Gotcha'~04/20/2012~~Flew Over The Rainbow Bridge~02/28/2014~~

Quote Originally Posted by Turquoise View Post
    That's a great idea Wendy to start these. I guess I'm elected to make one for the Pionus species since I am the only owner here who has posted about their bird.
    Ah yes De'Andrea, you are definitely elected to make one for the Pionus species