User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do i trace a legband code

Hybrid View

Parrots

Greenwing macaws,Blue and Gold macaws,Calico macaws.Military macaws,Severe macaw,Hahns macaw,firey shouldered conures,Sun conures,Blue crowned conure,Blackwinged jardine,Greater jardine,Quakers,Congo african greys,Jenday conure,goldcapped conure and SI eclectus

How do i trace a legband code

We have a muluccan cockatoo with an afa legband.Since we are at least his 3rd(and final) home , we are trying to determine his age.The breeder is no longer an afa member so they cant give me any details.We are in canada so the bird was obviously imported at some point.Im just trying to find out age and origin....more so just age.We think hes fairly young(maybe 15 to 20ish).Any sites you know of that may help us figure this out please let me know.
    Thanks

Nobility Member

Parrots

Catalina Macaw - Harlow, Blue & Gold Macaw - Rocky, Greenwing Macaw - Ruby, Bluefront Amazon - Tequila, Hawkhead - Charlotte, 2 Blk hd Caiques - Sammy, Greta, Yellow streaked Lory - Louie, LesserSulpher 2 - Belly, Sunconure - Gingee, Yellow sided Greencheek - Disco, Goffin - Pearl, Rosebreasted 2 - Owen
    I wish I knew of a site ! Keep googling . The guy Who grooms my birds was able to read their bands . I found out my zon who I thought was 11 is a 30 plus year old [I feel hes older by the way he acts ]. I wish they could just tell us . Whats your M2 like ?
    http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p779/Blancaej/Terrisignature2_zpsb1f5f78e.jpg

Parrots

Lola (Cuban Amazon), Lucifer (Black Headed Caique), Crush (Sun Conure), Zoe (Black Headed Caique), Scarlet (Scarlet Macaw)
    Contact the American Federation of Aviculture at AFABirds.org. They are the source of AFA bands and can only be purchased by members. They do keep good records as well. The only leg bands they sell that aren't traceable are the stock leg bands. Could you post the band number? that would help tremendously

Parrots

Lola (Cuban Amazon), Lucifer (Black Headed Caique), Crush (Sun Conure), Zoe (Black Headed Caique), Scarlet (Scarlet Macaw)
    There is also a Yahoo group that people searching for info on their birds can collaborate on

Parrots

Greenwing macaws,Blue and Gold macaws,Calico macaws.Military macaws,Severe macaw,Hahns macaw,firey shouldered conures,Sun conures,Blue crowned conure,Blackwinged jardine,Greater jardine,Quakers,Congo african greys,Jenday conure,goldcapped conure and SI eclectus
    Legband says Afa. Papl. 094
    Our mulluccan is a sweetheart.We were told by the people we got him from that the people they got him from treated him badly.He apparently spent part of his life in a closet because he was noisy.Hes now with us.he is a little bit shakey which could be from his previous living conditions.Thats sort of why I would like to trace his band. It would be nice to know if were dealing with a young bird, middle age or senior.I suspect hes 15 or 20 but sure would like to know for sure.I wasnt sure if the 094 was a random number,a series of band or the year of the band.Its been several days since Ive heard from the afa office.They forwarded my email to the breeder,but the breeder hasnt contacted us...I suspect they may not.Anyway our muluccan does scream here and there...talks a little and loves to cuddle.I sure hope hes got lots of years ahead of him ...hes real special to us.

6. The following 3 users like this post:

Mare (02-02-2014), Pinkbirdy (02-03-2014), Turquoise (02-03-2014)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Peatree, Honey, and Pressie the GCCs, Paris the budgie, Grey Bird the CAG, and Jester Bean the C2
    There is a Yahoo group that helps with legbands. Here's the link- https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/LegBandNumbers/info
    "Every once in awhile, a bird comes into your life and changes everything."

Always, Weasley. 2010 ~ 2013

Custom Pet Portraits ~ Art by Madalyn C

Parrots

Thanks for the link

9. The following user likes this post:

Maddy (02-02-2014)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Peatree, Honey, and Pressie the GCCs, Paris the budgie, Grey Bird the CAG, and Jester Bean the C2
    You're welcome!
    "Every once in awhile, a bird comes into your life and changes everything."

Always, Weasley. 2010 ~ 2013

Custom Pet Portraits ~ Art by Madalyn C

Parrots

UPDATE! The breeder got in touch.Our Muluccan was hatched in 1996.Pretty cool to have found out

12. The following user likes this post:

Debra (02-03-2014)

Parrots

Citron crested cockatoo <3
    Hi Cedardave,
    Do you have the email of the breeder?
    I have a cockatoo with similar information. It has the AFA, PAPL, but different number. I contacted the association ,AFA, and they sent am email to the breeder who has not contacted me yet since almost 2 week.
    If you got in touch with the PAPL breeder, could you give me their contact info.
    Thanks a lot
    Lili