User Tag List

Thread: Pin feathers on head?

Parrots

Buddy - Green Cheek Conure

Question Pin feathers on head?

(Sorry if there was a better forum to put this)

My green cheek conure is about 5 - 6 months old and I noticed today he's developed pin feathers on his head and face. I've read that pin feathers on the head need to opened/cracked/taken care of by the bird owner since the bird probably won't be able to do it himself.

Is it possible to not do anything to these feathers? Just let them do their own thing? He does not trust me enough to let me touch him with my hand casually yet, only my face and I can't scratch his feathers with my cheek. If it is really important to take care of them, we can grab him and hold him, with some protest of course.

Is it possible that he can scratch them open? I've seen him itch his head a lot and I didn't know why until I saw the pin feathers today.

If I need to open these feathers myself, how would I do that? I'm not sure, I've read conflicting information.

Thanks.

Jess and welcome to PP. Thank you for joining us!

Most of the time you don't really need to do anything with the pin feathers, but if they are bothering Buddy, here is a good article on it......

http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/what-is-a-pin-feather/

We would love to see some pics of Buddy

3. The following user likes this post:

NotSoSilentHill (01-22-2014)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    I would try not to grab a bird unless it is an emergency. GCC are fairly easy to train. I would concentrate more on the basics of training than the pin feathers. If you try to work with them you may be alienating your bird more. GCC usually enjoy a bath. The bath may relieve any itching from the pinnies. During molting it can help to increase the amounts of protein in the diet. If you need any more help please just ask us. Thanks for joining.

5. The following user likes this post:

NotSoSilentHill (01-22-2014)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    Hi and welcome! I would leave the pin feathers for now. When you are able to handle him and have a trusting relationship it's a great way to bond. But he will be ok until then.

Dianne's suggestion for a bath is a good one. It he likes it, it will help him be a bit more comfortable.
    Rosie & Kendra

7. The following 2 users like this post:

NotSoSilentHill (01-22-2014), spiritbird (01-21-2014)