User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arm Protection

Parrots

Quincy CAG Hatched 03/2000 Gotcha @ 3 months old ~ Savannah GW Macaw Hatched 06/1993 Gotcha 4/2013 ~ Coqui B&G Macaw Hatched 09/2003 Gotcha 10/2013 ~ Sidney Blue Crown Conure Gotcha Day 06/2015 Hatch Date Guess 06/2010.

Arm Protection

I wasn't sure where to post this as it does not pertain to the health of the bird but that of its owner. Ever since I got Savannah, my arm has payed the price with countless little scratches all over it! I have been looking for a solution that would not intimidate Savannah and be both comfortable for her and myself. Long sleeves are not the answer as I very rarely where long sleeve shirts. I'm hot blooded!

So I found an elbow support at my local walmart that works perfect. Even though it is for the elbow, it will wrap around my arm perfectly and is thick enough so Savannah's nails don't dig in my arm. I didn't want to put this under the Macaw thread only as I know there are others that may need something like this for other species. It was less then $8, too! I may buy a few to have at the store and home. I'm glad I found it as my doctor and my hubby have been on my case to find something so my arm doesn't keep getting scratched up! Here are some pics.

What my arm currently looks like, it's is sometimes red as well.

The box and the support.

The support on my arm.

Savannah got right on. She has been doing really well with it and is less and less putting one claw on my hand to avoid it.

"Nothing that matters comes easy, and nothing easy ever really matters." ~ Lyrics From Ordinary Girl By Rick Springfield

2. The following 7 users like this post:

lolsavannahh (09-26-2016), luckyandjenn (09-22-2016), Mare (01-20-2014), Minamommy (04-07-2014), plax (01-20-2014), Sucre (02-14-2016), wingman (11-03-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Peatree, Honey, and Pressie the GCCs, Paris the budgie, Grey Bird the CAG, and Jester Bean the C2
    That's a great idea!

My arms and shoulders are usually always scratched up from Jesters nails, but I think he'd be terrified of something like that.
    "Every once in awhile, a bird comes into your life and changes everything."

Always, Weasley. 2010 ~ 2013

Custom Pet Portraits ~ Art by Madalyn C

4. The following user likes this post:

Blancaej (01-19-2014)

Parrots

Quincy CAG Hatched 03/2000 Gotcha @ 3 months old ~ Savannah GW Macaw Hatched 06/1993 Gotcha 4/2013 ~ Coqui B&G Macaw Hatched 09/2003 Gotcha 10/2013 ~ Sidney Blue Crown Conure Gotcha Day 06/2015 Hatch Date Guess 06/2010.
    Coqui will not get on my arm with it on yet. So I have been using the same techniques one would use for harness training. I've been letting her check it out on the arm of the chair first. Letting her know it is ok. Baby steps. I think in time she will get used to it and hop on.

"Nothing that matters comes easy, and nothing easy ever really matters." ~ Lyrics From Ordinary Girl By Rick Springfield

6. The following user likes this post:

Christinenc2000 (06-06-2016)

Thats a great idea Blanca That should save all the scratches!

8. The following 2 users like this post:

Blancaej (01-19-2014), luckyandjenn (09-22-2016)

Parrots

Thanks Wendy! It already feels better when she is on my arm. Savannah has a bad habbit of leaning toward her perch or cage as I bring her to it. So she digs her claws in me to hold on. So this arm protection is working VERY well! LOL!

Parrots

eclectus x 4, cockatiels x4, lories x2, budgies x26 and babies all year round of all my birds
    that's what i need i have scratches from fingers to neck and some are deep,

11. The following user likes this post:

Blancaej (01-20-2014)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    I like that! What a great idea, thanks for sharing that, Blanca!

13. The following 2 users like this post:

Blancaej (01-20-2014), luckyandjenn (09-22-2016)

Parrots

Your Welcome! I'm glad others are finding this useful!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Parrots

1 female Double Yellowheaded Amazon named Beertje (almost 40!), 1 female Umbrella Cockatoo named Maxi (age: 4), 1 male Congo African Grey named Alex (age: 4), 1 male Jenday Conure named Jopie (age: 9), 1 female Pyrrhura Molinea (Greencheek Conure), Cinamon mutation named Kiwi (Age: 6), 2 male Pacific Parrotlets, blu mutation (brothers
    WOW Blanca,

I guess many owners of larger birds know this problem of screched arms caused by the nails of our birds.
    What a perfect solution you've found to solve this problem! Thanks for this great advice!

Greetings from the Netherlands,
    Rita

16. The following 2 users like this post:

Blancaej (02-09-2014), Honesty (02-09-2014)

Parrots

Scarlet Macaw
    This wouldn't work for my boy as he likes to wander the area between my wrist and elbow, these supports are to short for me but I did make myself a protection out of an old sweater I had. Just cut off the sleeve and sew in elastic bands where your wrist and elbow goes to keep it in place, viola! Homemade protection