User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How many breeders on this board

Parrots

Greenwing macaws,Blue and Gold macaws,Calico macaws.Military macaws,Severe macaw,Hahns macaw,firey shouldered conures,Sun conures,Blue crowned conure,Blackwinged jardine,Greater jardine,Quakers,Congo african greys,Jenday conure,goldcapped conure and SI eclectus
    Were fortunate here..years ago we were able to aquire a rare breeding pair of Tres Marias amazons.They are very similar to the magna double amazon...subtle differances make them differant....I suppose they were imported here before the ban was placed on importing them...
    "Ivo"

2. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-16-2016), Quakerella (09-16-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Dave, as a breeder, do you connect with other breeders around endangered parrots? Like, who has any, where did they come from etc.
    I understand that my Barrabands are on the watch list in Australia due to their habitat being destroyed. I very seldom see any for sale here in Canada.

I wonder if other countries will ever get together as a group to address some of these issues and how we all can assist each other.

Sorry, didn't mean to not have other breeders respond. Quakerella, Big Red and Mare, please feel free to add to the discussion.
    Last edited by Dragonlady2; 09-16-2016 at 11:00 PM.

4. The following user likes this post:

Quakerella (09-16-2016)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    A news item from the BBC which may be of interest to you - they are having a campaign against illegal trading of rare birds in Indonesia. It breaks my heart to see the way the smugglers treat these poor creatures.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-37382919
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    That story is so sad. It just feels like more and more birds are slipping away from humanity's grasp.
    I had also read that the interest and market for red palm oil was resulting in destroyed habitats for parrots as well. The Internet is a wonderful thing, but I sometimes wonder if it isn't part of the problem as well.....too much information available to the unscrupulous.

Parrots

Greenwing macaws,Blue and Gold macaws,Calico macaws.Military macaws,Severe macaw,Hahns macaw,firey shouldered conures,Sun conures,Blue crowned conure,Blackwinged jardine,Greater jardine,Quakers,Congo african greys,Jenday conure,goldcapped conure and SI eclectus
    The other friends we deal with don't have much in the way of endangered birds.We have a friend with a pair of hyacinth macaws..but she doesn't breed them.Being in Canada..breeding endangered birds doesn't help repopulate any of the wild birds....to cold here and this isn't where they are from or belong.While we very much enjoy bringing young ones into the world for family pets(there are zero good rescues here), we are a small scale hobbyist breeder with fairly low volume of birds going out to people.The place to help populations recover and be removed from the endangered or at risk list sadly is often those places that are involved in causing the issue in the first place...it's unlikely that other than a few organizations devoted to wild bird recovery would be willing to give up their cash cow industry of smuggling these birds into other countries.For us..we only have gotten our birds from people who have been ethical breeders for several generations of these birds.There was only one exception on the ethical part and this was a situation we were unaware of until after the fact...but not a wild caught or endangered species.Other than rescues,that are very common in the US and some other countries...most Canadian bred birds are from good breeders with education as a key component to their operation.Of course there are always exceptions..we are proud of the healthy and well cared for birds we produce.Often breeders get a bad rap from people...for those in it for high volume financial gain that's well deserved.For those of us that spend more on the well being of the birds in our care than we take in...the opposite is true.
    "Ivo"

8. The following 2 users like this post:

Big Red (09-18-2016), Dragonlady2 (09-17-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Yes, I agree with Canadian breeders not being able to replicate/create habitats for the endangered or any birds. I was thinking more along the lines of at least having breeding pairs so that the birds would not become totally extinct. I am guessing that changes in importation laws will probably make that an impossibility as well. What a world we live in.

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Aye, we need to keep diversity in the gene pool of endangered species even if there are restrictions on selling them as pets. We seem to be becoming the custodians for future generations till those in their native habitat can be made to appreciate what they are losing.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

11. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-17-2016), Lady (09-18-2016)

Whats ur contact info

Parrots

His name is Otie. He is the most loveable yet terroristic White Bellied Caique. Constantly surprising me with his peculiar whimsical sense of humor and intelligence.
    What do you sell your Caiques for?

Super Moderator

Parrots

The breeders haven’t been on this site for a while. I love caiques and their antics. Otis sounds like quite a character.