User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeding parrot cream of wheat.

Parrots

I have my almost 2 year old umbrella cockatoo, Mina.

Feeding parrot cream of wheat.

Well I think I have been manipulated by my U2. Let me tell you this girl is a pro. She doesn't eat her pellets so nightly I grind them up and cook them in her cream of wheat then she likes a little skim milk. The vet said use Lactaid instead but I'm not comfortable since it's chemically altered. My question is do you think cream of wheat is safe? She will not eat oatmeal. I think it's the texture. I like the fact I'm getting some good Harrison's in her.

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    I am not positive about the cream of wheat. Rosie likes it too, she isn't crazy for oatmeal. I will be interested in the answer.

I love that she has you wrapped around her little talon. So funny - especially since I completely relate!!
    Rosie & Kendra

Parrots

Quincy CAG Hatched 03/2000 Gotcha @ 3 months old ~ Savannah GW Macaw Hatched 06/1993 Gotcha 4/2013 ~ Coqui B&G Macaw Hatched 09/2003 Gotcha 10/2013 ~ Sidney Blue Crown Conure Gotcha Day 06/2015 Hatch Date Guess 06/2010.
    I would think it would be ok. Since it is just grains. I know cheese should be limited so that might go for all dairy products. That is probably why your vet recommended the lactaid milk.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

"Nothing that matters comes easy, and nothing easy ever really matters." ~ Lyrics From Ordinary Girl By Rick Springfield

Birds are lactose intolerant so that is why they say no dairy. You might try almond milk instead. I believe that is an ok type of milk. As far as the cream of wheat, I think that would be ok but I've not researched it.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    I, too, think the cream of wheat would be ok/good for her and like Debra suggests, unsweetened almond milk is better than the cows milk. It's tuff, sometimes, to find what they like and if you can get Mina to eat her ground up pellets this way, that's a good thing! I'm happy to hear she is doing better, in that department

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    I don't see any problem with Cream of Wheat. It should be nutritious for birds. But Debra is correct... birds have trouble digesting dairy products. Ultimately, dairy foods can clog up their digestive tracts. And I agree that almond milk is a great alternative to try. My guys love rice milk the best. I won't give it to them anymore though because of its arsenic absorption/retention potential.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

7. The following user likes this post:

Blancaej (01-15-2014)

Parrots

I have my almost 2 year old umbrella cockatoo, Mina.
    Ok no more milk for my girl. I had no idea it could block up her digestive tract. I figured if she could have small amounts of fat free yogurt she could have fat free milk. Jeez. Always learning that's for sure. Also my husband and I have pushed her cage from her bedroom in the evening to our room and she is pigging down her food!! Now she is by no means alone during the day she is with me for most of it. And she has a huge cage downstairs too right in the center of action. Don't know why it's working. But I'll take it.

9. The following user likes this post:

Turquoise (01-25-2014)

Parrots

2 Male Catalina Macaws, Roscoe & Angel~1 Female Green Wing Macaw, Ruby Jewel~1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus, Leyla Belle~1 Female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Peta (R.I.P.)~1 White Capped Pionus, Sierra Sunrise~ 1 Rose Breasted Cockatoo, Dakota Nakira'Too~1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Serita Lynae, 10 Parakeets
    Parrots are flock eaters and since she is your only bird she doesn't have another bird to share the eating experience with. So maybe she is most hungry in the evenings and since she is with you at that time she enjoys eating better now. If its working that's awesome regardless of the reason!
    ~~My Flock~~
    *In Loving Memory Of My Sweet Little Peta Girl~~R.I.P~~Love Mom*
    ~~Gotcha'~04/20/2012~~Flew Over The Rainbow Bridge~02/28/2014~~

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Oh I have to agree with this thinking about eating more when we are with our birds. Lady is not home alone for more than three hours. But when I get home she always wants me to hand her food from her dish. She even eats dinner with me most every night. She very much enjoys sharing the food experience. I thought it would of worn off by now but nope. She gets very excited when she sees I have brought something to eat in to share with her. I love watching her eat spaghetti noodles and grapes. She cleans the grapes out and leaves the skin.

12. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-08-2018), Dragonlady2 (06-18-2017), plax (06-18-2017), Quakerella (06-18-2017)

I baby fed my yellow nape cream of wheat
    And he did fine. He eventually weaned himself off of it
    But if was ok for a 6 month old should be ok for older birds

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

14. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-07-2018)