User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learning to Fly

Parrots

Female Meyers parrot named Arwyn and a male Dusky Conure named Dexter

Learning to Fly

Hi everyone,
    I am so excited because my husband has given the OK to let me grow out Arwyn's flight feathers!! being that she is only 10 months old and has always been clipped,will she know how to fly? Is it hard to control a flighted bird? If anyone could give me some advise about this new adventure I'm about to take I would love it! Thank you all so much. I can't wait to see my baby girl fly!!
    Amber,mommy to Aiden and Branden little feathered sister Arwyn and little feathered brother Dexter

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    That's great! Still being so young, I see no reason why she wouldn't be able to fly well. All my birds are flighted and I think it gives them added confidence to be able to move to where they want to be, by flying. It might get harder to keep Arwyn in one place though. When my Sassy girl is out, I sure cant leave her alone in a room, she gets around!
    There are folks on here that can help you with training, lots of luck to you and Arwyn in your new venture!
    Last edited by Mare; 01-12-2014 at 03:47 PM.

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Mare View Post
    That's great! Still being so young, I see no reason why she wouldn't be able to fly well. All my birds are flighted and I think it gives them added confidence to be able to move to where they want to be, by flying. It might get harder to keep Arwyn in one place though. When my Sassy girl is out, I sure cant leave her alone in a room, she gets around!
    There are folks on here that can help you with training, lots of luck to you and Arwyn in your new venture!
    Thank you for all the advise. I'm excited and scared all at the same time. She's already into everything and she can only coast as of now. I'm going it start training tomorrow. I can't wait to see how beautiful she looks when flying!
    Amber,mommy to Aiden and Branden little feathered sister Arwyn and little feathered brother Dexter

4. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (01-13-2014), ShellyBorg (01-13-2014)

Look forward to hearing how you get on with this

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Honesty View Post
    Look forward to hearing how you get on with this
    I will be sure to keep everyone updated

Parrots

TAG: Spirit, Senegal: Damon, Blue & Gold: Paris, Parrotlet: Opal, CAG :Boomer, Quaker: Widget and at a foster parents RLA: Danny. :D
    Having flighted birds is a pain and I love every min of it. Work on recall first!
    “She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.” ― Mark Twain

8. The following user likes this post:

Mare (01-30-2014)

Parrots

eclectus x 4, cockatiels x4, lories x2, budgies x26 and babies all year round of all my birds
    just if you have ceiling fans make sure they are off number one rule, and recall training is a must unless you want to be chasing Arwyn all over the house, you tube has lots of train video's on there, enjoy because he will and please keep us updated, and pics if you can get any of him in flight

Parrots

Quincy CAG Hatched 03/2000 Gotcha @ 3 months old ~ Savannah GW Macaw Hatched 06/1993 Gotcha 4/2013 ~ Coqui B&G Macaw Hatched 09/2003 Gotcha 10/2013 ~ Sidney Blue Crown Conure Gotcha Day 06/2015 Hatch Date Guess 06/2010.
    How exciting! You already received some good advice here. Good luck and I can't wait to hear updates!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

"Nothing that matters comes easy, and nothing easy ever really matters." ~ Lyrics From Ordinary Girl By Rick Springfield

Parrots

2 Male Catalina Macaws, Roscoe & Angel~1 Female Green Wing Macaw, Ruby Jewel~1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus, Leyla Belle~1 Female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Peta (R.I.P.)~1 White Capped Pionus, Sierra Sunrise~ 1 Rose Breasted Cockatoo, Dakota Nakira'Too~1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Serita Lynae, 10 Parakeets
    How has the flight training for Arwyn been going, Amber? Has her flight feathers grown in enough for her to get any lift when trying to fly? Hope she loves flying and the training goes smoothly.

My GCC Peta flies straight to the macaw enclosures when her flight feathers grow out. She thinks she can whip them into submission. Roscoe my Catalina macaw fies straight to me when he tries in the house.
    ~~My Flock~~
    *In Loving Memory Of My Sweet Little Peta Girl~~R.I.P~~Love Mom*
    ~~Gotcha'~04/20/2012~~Flew Over The Rainbow Bridge~02/28/2014~~

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Turquoise View Post
    How has the flight training for Arwyn been going, Amber? Has her flight feathers grown in enough for her to get any lift when trying to fly? Hope she loves flying and the training goes smoothly.

My GCC Peta flies straight to the macaw enclosures when her flight feathers grow out. She thinks she can whip them into submission. Roscoe my Catalina macaw fies straight to me when he tries in the house.
    She is doing great! She has one full length feather on each side and the others are getting longer but it will take awhile. She can fly off of things and glide rather far but her landing needs some work lol. She still likes to walk around rather then try to fly but I'm hoping that changes when she gets all her feathers.

Thanks for checking in on her. I will send more updates soon

13. The following user likes this post:

Mare (01-30-2014)