User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: As a new member since today I would like to introduce myself to you all!

Parrots

1 female Double Yellowheaded Amazon named Beertje (almost 40!), 1 female Umbrella Cockatoo named Maxi (age: 4), 1 male Congo African Grey named Alex (age: 4), 1 male Jenday Conure named Jopie (age: 9), 1 female Pyrrhura Molinea (Greencheek Conure), Cinamon mutation named Kiwi (Age: 6), 2 male Pacific Parrotlets, blu mutation (brothers

As a new member since today I would like to introduce myself to you all!

Hello members of “Precisely Parrots”,

As a new member of “Precisely Parrots” since today (Monday the 6th. of January 2014) I would like to take the opportunity to introduce myself to you all and tell you a bit more about my pets.

My name is Rita Wien, I’m 50, single and I live in the Netherlands, so I’m Dutch. English isn’t my first language, so sometimes I will make some mistakes writing in English.
    I hope you will forgive me for that.

In 2005 I bought my first parrots, a pair of blue Forpus Coelestis. They had a male baby 3 years in a row (2006, 2007 and 2008). Sadly both parrents and the youngest son have died by now.
    I still have the two oldest sons.
    But with these wonderful experiences of being able to witness the breeding-proces and the care of those two little birds for their young, my parrot-passion started to develop.

In September 2008 I added a pair of Cockatiels (Chico & Kuif). Sadly the female Kuif passed away at the 11th of October 2013.
    In November 2008 I introduced my beautiful and sweet male Jenday Conure Jopie to my flock.

At the 13th of February I bought my two longhair Chihuahua’s Vicky (brown) & her daughter Lisa (Blue-merle). Lisa was 13 weeks old then and her mother was just 17 months old.
    Vicky had had her first litter of 3 (all females!) at the tender age of just 14 months. The breeders let her get pregnant on purpose at that much too young age.
    Lisa was the oldest pup of her litter.
    The second pup (a dark-merle coloured, just like her father) was already sold. The youngest one, a very tiny black-and-tan stayed with the breeders.
    They told me that Vicky was on sale too. So as soon as I knew how young she had been forced to get puppies I decided to buy her too.
    I wanted to save Vicky from being abused as a breeder any longer and that way she and her oldest pup Lisa could stay together forever. And that was a very good decision.
    Vicky & Lisa are always together. They are best friends and they love to playfight together which they do often.
    They both are very protective when it comes to me, my father, my car and my house and they are very defensive, even agressive, to other larger dogs.
    Strange enough they aren’t with dogs their own size or smaller. But during our walks we of corse almost always meet larger dogs, because they are so small themselves.
    They love me very very much and I love them! They mean the world to me.

The 25th of February 2009 my female Double Yellow Headed Amazone named Beertje came to live with me.
    She didn’t have a good life before I got her. She’s in her late thirties (so almost 40!) and we bonded rather fast.

At the first of July 2009 I bought a female Greencheek Conure (Cinamon mutation) and 2 other Cockatiels. They were not tame.
    I introduced the Greencheek Conure to Jopie rightaway and they bonded immediately. I named the Greencheek Conure Kiwi.

Then, at the 25th of August 2009 I bought a baby Umbrella Cockatoo and a baby Congo African Grey in a parrotshop and both came to live with me at the 27th of August 2009.
    They were very young at that moment, about 7 (U2) and 6 (Grey) weeks old, so I had to handfeed them myself.
    Looking back with what I do know now about parrots they were too young, but luckely everything went well.
    The Congo African Grey turned out to be a male, so I named him Alex in honnor of the late Alex from Dr. Irene Pepperberg.
    The Umbrella Cockatoo turned out to be a female and I named her Maxi.
    Since the tender age they came into my life, they grew up together. They share their cage and toys.
    Their wings are not clipped, so each day when they have their “out of their cage”-time at my livingroom they enjoy to fly. They love to fly.
    After flying they play with all the parrot toys hanging from the ceiling and then they come to sit near to me or on top of me to relax and interact with me and eachother.
    It’s such a joy to have them in my life.
    Alex developed to be a very well speaking African Grey. His voice is very clear and can be understood very well.
    He of course speaks Dutch, although he also says “I love you” (his only English text). I am so proud at him and his speaking-skills.
    Alex is a sweet rascal. He likes it to challenge especially Beertje, but also Jopie and Kiwi and my two longhaired Chihuahua’s Vicky (brown) and her daughter Lisa (blue-merle) and my cat Trijntje.
    Maxi is very caring and sweet, to me and also to Alex. She loves to preen his feathers and she sometimes begs Alex for food. Alex does respond regularly by feeding her with food from his crop.
    Alex does not always want to be preened, so Maxi always approach him very carefully, making sweet sounds and saying “lekker hè” (nice huh), the only thing she can say.
    She waits for his response then.
    When Alex is in the mood for a preening-treatment from Maxi he let her do her thing and he at the same time, as a response, often starts to preen her feathers too.
    They are so caring and sweet to eachother. I enjoy to watch them interact with eachother and be playful and happy.

My other hobby is photography and guess who are my models most of the time?
    Yes ofcourse my pets, especially my beautiful birds, but of course also my beautiful Chihuahuas and my female tortoiseshell cat Trijntje.
    Right now my cat Trijntje, age 13, is sick. It's serious, because she might have a tumor in her nose. I’ll expect the lab-results of the vet this week. I used to have 3 cats.
    My big sweet wonderful red tomcat Thijs passed away at age 17 at the 12th. of November 2012.
    My sweet deaf white tomcat King passed away at the 25th. of February 2013. He was 8 almost 9, but he had serious health-issues like the heartfailure HCM and dry eyes syndrom.
    I still miss my 2 beautiful sweet tomcats. Luckely I do have many photo’s and video’s of them though.

The 12th of August 2012 I bought a parrot-buggy (which is a converted secondhand baby-buggy), which makes it a lot easier to take my parrots on a walk with me.
    All my birds are flighted. I am against clipping wings.
    Maxi wears an Aviator Harness when I take her outside. She is very helpful when I put the harness on.
    In August 2012 I started flying her outside with a long line attached to the Aviatoir Harness and this went very well.
    Beertje makes a lot of problems when I try to put her Aviator Harness on. But when I manage to put it on and she wears it, then it is okay.
    Alex totaly freaks out when he sees the Aviator Harness. It’s just impossible to put it on so he goes into the travel-cage then and I can put the whole travelcage at the parrot-buggy.
    This works out very well.
    They all enjoy to go outside with me. And I love to take them on walks.
    My two Chihuahua’s jump by themselves into the basket at the bottom of the buggy. They did that at the first moment they saw that buggy in the sellers garden.
    So, during walks they sit in that basket together and let themselve be driven, without walking themselves at all. They are rather lazy.
    They only jump out when they see another dog and also for pooping and peeing.

Well, that’s all I have to tell you right now. I hope I will enjoy to be a member of “Precisely Parrots”.
    It was "Precisely Parrots"- “Honesty” who invited me to join this parrot-group.
    I look forward to get to know other members from “Pecisely Parrots” and their parrot(s) and other pets, so I do look forward to hear from you all!

Greetings from the Netherlands,
    Rita

2. The following 2 users like this post:

Honesty (01-06-2014), Turquoise (01-07-2014)

Rita and welcome to PP. Thank you for joining us

I have really enjoyed reading your introduction post. It sounds like you have a wonderful relationship with your birds and other pets

We look forward to seeing lots of photo's and video's of your flock!

Hello and welcome! Sounds like you have a wonderful and lively house with all your birds, dogs, and cat. I can't wait to hear some stories about them all. Pictures are very welcomed and wanted here.

Parrots

1 female Double Yellowheaded Amazon named Beertje (almost 40!), 1 female Umbrella Cockatoo named Maxi (age: 4), 1 male Congo African Grey named Alex (age: 4), 1 male Jenday Conure named Jopie (age: 9), 1 female Pyrrhura Molinea (Greencheek Conure), Cinamon mutation named Kiwi (Age: 6), 2 male Pacific Parrotlets, blu mutation (brothers
    Thanks Debra,

I'm trying to add 14 photo's in my first album, but............................ I can't figure out how to do it.
    What is the maximum size of photos the be used at this forum?
    I also have problems with my profile-photo allthough I downsized it to 98 x 100 pixels.

Debra, tell me some more about yourself and your flock please. I see a lot of budgies, cockatiels and Frankie and Amber are "munk-parrotlets" or so. I'can't remember the right name in English right now.

Rita

Parrots

Hello Wendy,

It's good to hear you enjoyed reading my introduction-text. Yes indeed, I have a wonderful relation with my birds and other pets. They mean the world to me.

I'm trying to add 14 photo's in my first album, but............................ I can't figure out how to do it.
    I also have problems with my profile-photo allthough I downsized it to 98 x 100 pixels.
    Can you help me with uploading photo's and a profile-photo. I want to do that from my own computer.

Rita

7. The following user likes this post:

Honesty (01-06-2014)

Hi Rita.

The maximum for a profile picture is 100x100. It should automatically adjust when you upload it?

Here is the link on how to post pics, create Albums, insert video's and sizes, etc.

http://www.preciselyparrots.com/show...-Create-Albums

If you have any problems, just give me a shout

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Welcome Rita and critters. Happy you joined us and I know you will be too. I am so looking forward to seeing your photo gems.

Parrots

Quincy CAG Hatched 03/2000 Gotcha @ 3 months old ~ Savannah GW Macaw Hatched 06/1993 Gotcha 4/2013 ~ Coqui B&G Macaw Hatched 09/2003 Gotcha 10/2013 ~ Sidney Blue Crown Conure Gotcha Day 06/2015 Hatch Date Guess 06/2010.
    & Welcome Rita! Thank you for the wonderful introduction! Sounds like you love all your pets dearly! I look forward to seeing some pics. Especially that converted buggy. Sounds cool!

"Nothing that matters comes easy, and nothing easy ever really matters." ~ Lyrics From Ordinary Girl By Rick Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Rita View Post
    Thanks Debra,

Debra, tell me some more about yourself and your flock please. I see a lot of budgies, cockatiels and Frankie and Amber are "munk-parrotlets" or so. I'can't remember the right name in English right now.

Rita
    Frankie and Little Amber are in fact monk parakeets, also known as Quaker parrots. They are fun little ones too. Frankie will talk his head off at times. He loves interacting with people as long as he's on his cage. He's not too comfortable when off his cage. Little Amber is a little more brave when off her cage, but only if she's on her towel. Strange, huh. She doesn't talk much only saying her name and "good girl".

The tiels and budgies have a room to themselves and are never locked in their cages. Most are tame enough to be handled, although two tiels prefer to only be talked to and not touched.

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Greetings, Rita! Thanks so much for your descriptive introduction . We are happy that you've joined our community.

I'm truly sorry to hear about Trijntje's illness. I hope the very best outcome on her test results! There is one thing that I will caution you about relating to your statement quoted below...

Alex is a sweet rascal. He likes it to challenge especially Beertje, but also Jopie and Kiwi and my two longhaired Chihuahua’s Vicky (brown) and her daughter Lisa (blue-merle) and my cat Trijntje.
    Please don't allow cats (or larger dogs) to physically interact with your birds. We consider this a very serious concern here, especially since recently some of our members have lost cherished birds to their cats. Things may go well for years, leading to much trust... then in a mere instant a treasured bird becomes seriously injured or killed. It's best not to take the chance, even when your animals seem to get along very well. And please don't take offense to this. I am simply concerned with pet bird safety. One can't be too careful when it comes to protecting our fragile feathered ones!

I'm looking forward to seeing your photos
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

13. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (01-06-2014)