User Tag List

Thread: Red shouldered hawk

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!

Red shouldered hawk

Amigo just flew in, screaming bloody murder warnings, "There is a big ol' hawk out there!! Run for cover!". I ran outside to find my husband calling the small dogs. He was unloading hay from his truck, with Amigo's supervision, this very large hawk was also supervising the goings on! My big white bird is very attune to hawks. He flew to his outdoor cage and I locked him in 'till the danger passed, hubs got the small dogs into his truck and drove them home. All is well, once more.

The red shoulders hawk is larger than a red-tail and more pronounced in the sky, they really stand out. They like to perch on the highest tops of trees. Here is a pic I pulled up on-line, I didn't have the camera power to take the pics, myself.

Coming up soon, be right back!

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!

3. The following 3 users like this post:

Blancaej (01-05-2014), spiritbird (12-26-2013), Turquoise (12-25-2013)

Parrots

2 Male Catalina Macaws, Roscoe & Angel~1 Female Green Wing Macaw, Ruby Jewel~1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus, Leyla Belle~1 Female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Peta (R.I.P.)~1 White Capped Pionus, Sierra Sunrise~ 1 Rose Breasted Cockatoo, Dakota Nakira'Too~1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Serita Lynae, 10 Parakeets
    Gorgeous birds!! So regal looking and all those photos seem to have been taken in CA. You must have plenty of them. They would scare the *jeepers* out of me if one of my birds were out & about at the same time. You do have a strong heart to be able keep from falling apart from the fear of losing that big fluffy white beauty~~Amigo~~to one of them. We have Red Tailed Hawks, but I rarely see any flying anymore. When I was a kid I saw them all the time on my Grandparents farm. Not sure how many we still have in my area.

I am so glad Amigo can fly so darn well & fast! Glad too that he has not lost his natural instincts of what to watch for in way of danger. It does amaze me how our feathered kids still maintain that trait even tho most rarely have need to use the ability in their daily lives safe & secure in our homes.
    ~~My Flock~~
    *In Loving Memory Of My Sweet Little Peta Girl~~R.I.P~~Love Mom*
    ~~Gotcha'~04/20/2012~~Flew Over The Rainbow Bridge~02/28/2014~~

5. The following 3 users like this post:

kendrafitz (12-29-2013), Mare (12-25-2013), MomtoPercy (12-26-2013)

Beautiful hawks! I'm glad Amigo noticed him before he noticed Amigo!

7. The following user likes this post:

Mare (12-26-2013)

Nobility Member

Parrots

De', I could never take Amigo's freedom from him, he is aware because he has had some real close calls. I will probably die young (ish) from a heart attack because I worry all the time when he is loose but to see him living and enjoying life, helps keep me alive

Amigo did not have all the instincts he portrays now, when this venture first started. They did return, though, and I know many folks would disagree and maybe want my bird taken from me but I wouldn't change one thing about owning and letting this bird be how he is. Except maybe not owning him in the first place and having him free in Indonesia!

Parrots

eclectus x 4, cockatiels x4, lories x2, budgies x26 and babies all year round of all my birds
    such a beautiful bird, i know how you feel Mare, we have a few Eagles here and they always scared me when maxx was out , even now while in there cages if the eagles are flying over head the birds let out an almighty screech.

10. The following user likes this post:

Mare (12-26-2013)

Parrots

Percy, BFA Jack, Budgie
    Wow, how scary!! Thank goodness for Amigo sounding the alarm and probably saving the dogs too! I have a friend whose Yorkie puppy was snatched by an owl right in their garden a few months ago!

12. The following user likes this post:

Mare (12-26-2013)

Good job Amigo has a good eye and hearing sense for danger. He alerted you to the danger too, which possibly saved all your other Animals from being attacked

14. The following user likes this post:

Mare (12-26-2013)

Nobility Member

Parrots

These hawks really are beautiful, magnificent creatures! We don't see them often but when we do they sure get your attention. My husband thought it was a red-tail hawk but I could tell it was so much larger than that. I could tell at a distance too, that it's coloring was more vibrant and different from a red-tail hawk, with the binoculars I could really see the striping on it's tail.

16. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (12-26-2013)

Parrots

Quincy CAG Hatched 03/2000 Gotcha @ 3 months old ~ Savannah GW Macaw Hatched 06/1993 Gotcha 4/2013 ~ Coqui B&G Macaw Hatched 09/2003 Gotcha 10/2013 ~ Sidney Blue Crown Conure Gotcha Day 06/2015 Hatch Date Guess 06/2010.
    Beautiful hawk. Glad Amigo is such a good watch dog for his own sake!!

"Nothing that matters comes easy, and nothing easy ever really matters." ~ Lyrics From Ordinary Girl By Rick Springfield