User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another rescue from petco

Parrots

Yellow napped amazon Seminole, green wing macaw Monte, yellow budgie parakeet Avra , Sun conure Starburst... RIP Hendrick... Fly high pretty blue.. 5-5-14

Another rescue from petco

There's a beautiful caique at Petco where my wife used to work...1500$., she's been there for almost a year...poor baby.. Looks like my birthday present is gonna be pricey this year. But being behind glass isn't right. Her name was Shasta..they call her snow white..smdh...she whistles and makes a similar noise to Alex(the African grey) when he did water...but they're so ruff. I'll have to be on guard for the other smaller birds. (After the 30 day quarantine that is)

As excited as I am about this.. I'm kinda not wanting to...we already have 6 birds.. Most are rescues.. And all get equal time...now I'm having marital issues.. Idk if I can take on another fid. But...if it means this bird stays at THAT pet shop, there's no way I can not get it. I say it. Cause it hasn't been sexed. Think its a she .

MAXXED OUT!!!!!

2. The following user likes this post:

Turquoise (12-31-2013)

Parrots

Umbrella cockatoo,Goffins Cockatoo, 2 red lored amazons, blue fronted amazon, 3 black capped conures, 4 green cheek conures, 16+/- american and english budgies and babies (linneolated parakeets, parrotlets, crimson bellied conures, budgies, green cheek conures at any given time)
    Poor bird Although, I don't think that buying a bird out of pity is really the best approach, yes, you will be helping this one bird but all it does is leave room for them to replace it with another one. Have you spoken with the store manager about the bird? He/she would be the one that gets the final say as to what birds they order, maybe they will consider sticking to less expensive birds in the future since it seems like they have issues selling the pricier birds? I know when I worked at petsmart the most expensive birds we would even order were around $600 and we would never have more than one at a time, otherwise they would just sit in the store for months on end.
    Feel Free to Friend me on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/feathersfirstaviary

4. The following user likes this post:

Mare (12-23-2013)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    I am a nutritional consultant for Purina based at Petco. I just cannot stay away from the birds and I should. We also have the same bird. One was sold a while ago and the price is about the same $1,400. We just reduced the price as the bird has been for sale since April. I would find out how long this bird has been there, you may get discounted by 25% depending on the length of time for sale. The staff at Petco loves this bird and spoil it every day. The birds gets shoulder rides around the store (wings severly clipped by policy for safety). You are so right no bird should be on display behind glass in a beat up display cage. There is a delightful Ringneck that has been with them for just over a year. I take in fruits and veggies all the time. Good luck and let me know if they will discount the bird.

Parrots

Yellow napped amazon Seminole, green wing macaw Monte, yellow budgie parakeet Avra , Sun conure Starburst... RIP Hendrick... Fly high pretty blue.. 5-5-14
    I don't mean to sound arrogant here. But buying a bird out of pity wouldn't be the case. It would be because i care for the bird, a bond was formed when my wife worked there..If you were familiar with me..(which i realize I'm not on here a lot...) ALL of my birds are family..not just a bird...

This is Rain...a bird that was as good as dead, even according to the vet, when I got her..(petco).it was pity and love for birds that saved her. The reward has been 100,000,000 times greater than anyone could hope for. Its that same level of compassion that would be used with the poor caique.
    I completely understand your point on helping one. But as I learned with Jester....making a difference, even if only for a few hours, in a birds life...well..that's a difference someone needs to make...

A life behind glass is no life. I know the attention I would give the bird, would far surpass that of Petco. I appreciate your response. But it seems geared more towards a new "owner"..i don't buy birds or even rescue birds...I extend my family. And I don't own a single one of em. They own me. Lmao

I apologize if this seems snippy..its not intended that way. Perhaps I'm hypersensitive...

MAXXED OUT!!!!!
    Attachments Attachments uploadfromtaptalk1387673977781.jpg  

7. The following 5 users like this post:

Feathers First Aviary (12-22-2013), Mare (12-23-2013), Minamommy (04-09-2014), MomtoPercy (12-26-2013), Turquoise (12-31-2013)

Parrots

Umbrella cockatoo,Goffins Cockatoo, 2 red lored amazons, blue fronted amazon, 3 black capped conures, 4 green cheek conures, 16+/- american and english budgies and babies (linneolated parakeets, parrotlets, crimson bellied conures, budgies, green cheek conures at any given time)
    I'm sorry with the way I worded that, I didn't mean it the way it come off now that I read back over it. I just hate the way some pet stores run their business, like that's all it is to them is business. I swear they purposefully make people feel bad for the animals so that they buy them just to give them the life that they deserve. I'm not saying that's what this store is doing but I have worked in a few pet stores and known many many other store owners that will purposefully put their birds in small cages without toys just so people buy them, yes, out of pity. It just makes me sooo mad!! I'm sure you will absolutely love your new little guy/girl, caiques are one of my favorite birds, such silly little guys. I do think that you should talk to them like Dianne said and see if they will give you a discount seeing how old the bird is now. I am very sorry if I offended you, I really am, I didn't mean to. I honestly wish all pet stores would stop selling animals. I don't mind bird stores or reptile stores, etc, where the animals are either breed and raised on site or are from local breeders but places like that are few and far between anymore, most of the animals in todays big pet stores are all from mills, it's disgusting, and even if the people in the store are all well meaning and love the animals in their care, that doesn't say much for the rest of them back at the mill churning out baby after baby. I refuse to shop anywhere that sells dogs or cats(rescue animals are different of course) and I really do try to avoid any stores that sell animals anymore, it's just too depressing and I don't like giving them my money, I'd rather go to a pet supply only store and support them instead.

9. The following 4 users like this post:

94lt1 (12-22-2013), Honesty (12-22-2013), Mare (12-23-2013), spiritbird (12-22-2013)

Parrots

I love the way you think..let's be pals and think nothing of it..I didn't take it offensively.. But ya know what. You're looking out for little feathered butts...you're kewl with me.

MAXXED OUT!!!!!
    Last edited by 94lt1; 12-22-2013 at 02:28 AM.

11. The following 2 users like this post:

Feathers First Aviary (12-22-2013), spiritbird (12-22-2013)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by 94lt1 View Post
    I love the way you think..let's be pals and think nothing of it..I didn't take it offensively.. But ya know what. You're looking not for little feathered butts...you're kewl with me.

MAXXED OUT!!!!!
    Sounds like a good deal to me!

As much as I loved working at the petstores, both privately owned "mom and pop" type stores and one big chain store, it is a very stressful job when you realize what all goes on. Every store I worked at had great employees and no one ever did anything to hurt any of the animals but seeing how some of them came in, including a lovebird with PBFD, and how some customers return their previously purchased pets, I just couldn't take it anymore. I'm much more content raising my own birds, there is no comparison, I don't have to deal with those horrible pet mills anymore and I KNOW that our birds are loved and cared for no matter how long they may be here.

13. The following 5 users like this post:

94lt1 (12-22-2013), Honesty (12-22-2013), Mare (12-23-2013), Minamommy (04-09-2014), Wulfgeist (12-26-2013)

Parrots

We have a person wanting to give us a blue and gold macaw..he's beautiful...I can't possibly take both..but there are people who will take the blue and gold if I don't..I keep thinking of that poor caique in that glass cage... I'm conflicted.

MAXXED OUT!!!!!

Parrots

Percy, BFA Jack, Budgie
    Oh boy, I know that feeling! Seeing a poor bird locked in a horrid cage for days and months on end, kills me and the only reason I do not currently own two Illigers Macaws, is the cost of buying them both AND cages I saw them in a "pet store" (horrible dump of a hellhole!) And it broke my heart to see them that way

I commend anyone who saves birds in these situations but, like someone else said, it just gives the petstore the opportunity to place another bird in that situation. It is a vicious cycle.

Good luck with your decision. I'm sure you will do the right thing - for that poor bird and yourself

16. The following user likes this post:

94lt1 (01-01-2014)

Parrots

Thanx... The poor baby...I know what could happen to it all to well. We saved rain from the same situation...it breaks my heart too....

MAXXED OUT!!!!!