User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this plant Eucalyptus?

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine

Is this plant Eucalyptus?

I took some photos today of what I think may be Eucalyptus. For those of you who are familiar with the plant please let me know. thanks in advance Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010013.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	1583Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010014.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	1584

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Hmm..To me, that looks more like a bamboo type plant than any eucalyptus I've ever seen. Steve would be more of an expert on this but my experience with eucalyptus is that they grow more like a tree, as in up, not a bush. I also have bamboo in my yard and it spreads like what you have in your photo and they don't get nearly as tall as an eucalyptus tree.
    Last edited by Mare; 12-18-2013 at 10:56 PM.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Thanks Mare. I guess bamboo leaves are only good to bears.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Oops I stand corrected. Several web pages say bamboo is ok for birds. Learned something new today. Now does anyone know if I just cut some, wash and bring to the birds? I am talking about branches with leaves on them.

http://www.mdvaden.com/bird_page.shtml

Parrots

eclectus x 4, cockatiels x4, lories x2, budgies x26 and babies all year round of all my birds
    from what i can see no its not, its not like any i have ever seen, if you grab a handful and just crush in hand you will no by the spell as eucalyptus has a very distinctive smell, as long as you no what it smells like, but that does not look like eucalyptus

Nobility Member

Parrots

Thanks Steve. Do you think it is bamboo also?

I'm no plant expert but I think it looks like bamboo too.

Nobility Member

Parrots

I cut a few branches and the stems are hollow like bamboo and appear that way also. Wash them and now my fids have a bamboo tree in their cage. So far they are ignoring the forest invation.

That's how my fids are reacting to their eucalyptus treat. They could take it or leave it. Guess I know now. lol

10. The following user likes this post:

Mare (12-20-2013)

Nobility Member

Parrots

OH well, we tried. Daisy did climb on some of the branches to get to the broccoli.

12. The following user likes this post:

MomtoPercy (12-20-2013)