User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for harness training

Parrots

Punky (Galah), Skittles (Rainbow Lorikeet), Mia (Sun Conure), Max (Green Cheek Conure), Tonks (Cockatiel), Tessa (Cockatiel), Lola (Budgie), Sid (Lovebird), Aussie (Lovebird), Johnny (Lovebird)

Tips for harness training

So I ordered a harness for Skittles and Mia and it arrived on Friday, just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to start?
    So far I have sat it out where they can see it from inside their cages, and had it sitting on my lap while they were out of their cages and on me... Skittles had a nibble on it but when I picked it up he quickly moved away, and Mia I didn't try anything with yet as shes still getting used to us let alone a strange new item thats supposed to go on her

I really wanted to get one for Punky as I think she'll enjoy being outside a lot more, but she's also a lot harder to introduce new things to so I thought I'd start with the 'easier' birds first...

Any tips would be much appreciated

Parrots

eclectus x 4, cockatiels x4, lories x2, budgies x26 and babies all year round of all my birds
    As i dont have any of mine in a harness, im not sure but with the dogs to get them to go into it you just hold it up and offer treats but make them put head through the harness before get treat so hold treat on other side of harness and make them go through it, it may work with birds, also check youtube http://www.youtube.com/wathttp:// http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdJ8m...?v=etKRisR7vgo hope this helps

3. The following user likes this post:

tonkatiel (12-16-2013)

Parrots

TAG: Spirit, Senegal: Damon, Blue & Gold: Paris, Parrotlet: Opal, CAG :Boomer, Quaker: Widget and at a foster parents RLA: Danny. :D
    I start with offering treats they have to reach through the loops to get it. Once they will do that put the treats in a small bowl so they have to reach through and down so you get need to drop it over there head. You also need to make sure you can handle there wings and touch there bodies before you try to tighten it up. 4 of my 5 wear a harness. Some happier then others.
    “She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.” ― Mark Twain

5. The following 3 users like this post:

Blancaej (01-05-2014), kendrafitz (12-18-2013), tonkatiel (12-16-2013)

Thanks

Julius 07/09

Parrots

Quincy CAG Hatched 03/2000 Gotcha @ 3 months old ~ Savannah GW Macaw Hatched 06/1993 Gotcha 4/2013 ~ Coqui B&G Macaw Hatched 09/2003 Gotcha 10/2013 ~ Sidney Blue Crown Conure Gotcha Day 06/2015 Hatch Date Guess 06/2010.
    I think Shelly gave you some good advice. Here are some good steps to follow to slowly progress to having them wear it. Go to the next step once they are comfortable with the step.

1)Have it near by
    2)Have it on your arm or body while your bird is on you
    3)Touch your bird with it
    4)Use a treat to get them to put there head through it
    5)Work to get it totally on them.

Giving treats each time they accomplish each step each time. They should not be nervous with the step you are working on before proceeding to the next step. I've got Savannah in a harness pretty quickly. Quincy I probably never will! LOL! I hope to get Coqui in one this spring. Good luck and don't give up!

"Nothing that matters comes easy, and nothing easy ever really matters." ~ Lyrics From Ordinary Girl By Rick Springfield

Thanks.

Julius 07/09

Parrots

Yellow sided green cheek
    I'm planning on ordering one for Stitchy from the bird safe store. Can anyone recommend any scrumptious treats for training that GCCs adore?

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Treats are a tricky thing I think. What your bird may like as a treat, mine may not. You can put some of what you think Stitchy will like on a plate and see which one he chooses first. This might give you an idea of what he likes most out of what you offer.

Lady has gone from cashews, to walnuts, to almonds and at the moment prefers Pistachios.

11. The following 2 users like this post:

kendrafitz (03-27-2015), StitchynMe (03-25-2015)

Parrots

Yellow sided green cheek
    Ok, thanks! I will try that!

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    I don't know if this is good for small beaks, but pili nuts. The bird store I go to has referred to them as birdie crack.

I generally use organic raw cashews for training. They are soft enough for me to break into pieces. For a once a day super special treat Rosie gets a yogurt covered almond. That is her absolute favorite!!
    Last edited by kendrafitz; 03-27-2015 at 12:44 PM.
    Rosie & Kendra

14. The following user likes this post:

StitchynMe (03-27-2015)