User Tag List

Thread: Merlin and the food dish

Parrots

1 ALEXANDRINE KOSH 1 INDIAN RINGNECK MERLIN 1 PEARLY CONURE STEEL 1 SUN CONURE ZAK 1 GREENCHEEKED CONURE PEARL 1 GREENCHEEKED CONURE JADE 1 CRIMSON BELLIED CONURE RUBY

Merlin and the food dish

Hi I am posting this in the hope some other parrot owners can enlighten me.
    Merlin my female Indian Ringneck who lives with Kosh an Alexandrine Male has started recently sitting in her seed dish and flicking the seed out. I have tried all kinds of things to stop her distracting does not work goes straight back to doing it again. Mixing the fruit with the seed. First time she did it I thought it was a nesting thing and we just laughed even though the seed flew across the room from their large seed dish in the cage. Then after she had done it a few times it has become annoying as I feel she spoils the food for Kosh, once flicked out on the floor it is all wasted. I take alot of time in preparing their food nice for them for her to soil it. She works her way around the dishes as well so does not confine it to just one.
    Any ideas why she does this and is there any way i can stop her wasting all their food.

Parrots

3 Alexandrines Oxy, hatched August 2012 Bruno, hatched August 2011 Prince, hatched August 2009
    the part about her sitting in the dish has me thrown, as i have never encountered or heard of this. All the birds that i have owned that were on seed, especially my former Indian Ring neck Kya would flick there seed, they were throwing out the seed that they didnt want insearch of sunflower seeds and corn. I dont have that problem any more as i feed the 3 Amigo's mainly pellets and when they do get seed its only a small amount in a deep dish.
    With any hope some one else will come along be able to shed further light on your little dilema.

Parrots

Nanday Conure (Rowdy), YCA (Pete) and CAG (Miss Merlin)
    Usually when birds throw food, it's because it's fun (I think). I do think in general they are less wasteful when only given a day's worth of food at a time. But, if food is plentiful then they can throw it, put it in the water bowl, etc. I would try just giving what will be eaten by bedtime. You may not be sure yet how much food that is, but try giving less and keeping track through the evening so you will know if you gave too little or too much, and adjust each day from there.

4. The following 3 users like this post:

aliray (04-20-2013), mistywaterwoman (04-20-2013), ShellyBorg (04-20-2013)

Parrots

2 peach faced lovebirds (one is seagreen)
    Aaarg, I just posted about this same problem with my lovebird!! She gets in the food dish and flaps around, spraying it everywhere.

That's a good tip about it being too plentiful, I never thought of that. I put extra food in so they won't be tempted to fight over it. :/

6. The following user likes this post:

aliray (04-20-2013)

Parrots

TAG: Spirit, Senegal: Damon, Blue & Gold: Paris, Parrotlet: Opal, CAG :Boomer, Quaker: Widget and at a foster parents RLA: Danny. :D
    I feed twice a day and only just cover thr bottom of there feed dishes. When I started this I cut my feed bill in half! If you have fighting issues use more feed cups.

8. The following user likes this post:

aliray (04-20-2013)

Parrots

1 ALEXANDRINE KOSH 1 INDIAN RINGNECK MERLIN 1 PEARLY CONURE STEEL 1 SUN CONURE ZAK 1 GREENCHEEKED CONURE PEARL 1 GREENCHEEKED CONURE JADE 1 CRIMSON BELLIED CONURE RUBY
    Update since giving Merlin paper to shed she has only done this once. I do not like to restrict their seed too much as Kosh the Alexandrine is a big bird and needs his food.

10. The following 2 users like this post:

mistywaterwoman (05-03-2013), roxynoodle (05-03-2013)

Parrots

2 peach faced lovebirds (one is seagreen)
    Well, mine get paper and she STILL flaps the food around. Maybe she's just bratty, lol...

Parrots

Merlin has now used this dish to lay an egg! This was moved to the nest box but she managed to drop it on the floor anyrate. She is due to lay again today so will be interested to see if number is laid in the dish.

Merlin seems to be very attached to that food dish