User Tag List

Thread: About our Parrot Rescue!

About our Parrot Rescue!

Hi everyone. I thought I would come on and share with you how our Parrot rescue began.

My Name is Christine.

Safehaven Parrot Refuge started taking in parrots in 1986 the first was Cindy a Blue and Gold Macaw. Others started coming in mainly by word of mouth. We lived in Sussex then. We moved to Gloucestershire in 1988.

The Daily Express did a two page weekend colour supplement about our Refuge and then the phone didn't stop ringing so many people wanted to rehome their parrots with us, mainly macaws. After they published our phone number.

We went to see our Vet Neil Forbes who suggested we became a Charity, we finally became Registered in 1999, before this we had to pay any Vet bills and food for the parrots ourselves.

We received a lot of donations from the write up in the paper. Even now people still call us from the this.

We are now full and can't take in anymore parrots we have 21 large macaws 2 African Greys 2 Alexandrine parakeets and 2 Severe macaws in our garden we have 2 captive bred male Ravens they have a very large aviary.

SPR now has a very good team of Trustees and Area Co Ordinators .

http://www.safehavenparrotrefuge.co.uk/

2. The following 4 users like this post:

Honesty (12-01-2013), kendrafitz (12-01-2013), ShellyBorg (11-30-2013), Turquoise (12-01-2013)

Thank you for sharing this with us Christine

Parrots

Merlin & Charlie the Senegals, Brucie & Lucie the Budgies!
    Nice to hear of a rescue here in the UK. Good job.

Do you rehome birds too? I had a quick peek at the website but just got the impression that it was more of a sanctuary with sponsoring the pets, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Mayden View Post
    Nice to hear of a rescue here in the UK. Good job.

Do you rehome birds too? I had a quick peek at the website but just got the impression that it was more of a sanctuary with sponsoring the pets, etc
    Yes, their birds go to foster carers when they are available

Parrots

2 Male Catalina Macaws, Roscoe & Angel~1 Female Green Wing Macaw, Ruby Jewel~1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus, Leyla Belle~1 Female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Peta (R.I.P.)~1 White Capped Pionus, Sierra Sunrise~ 1 Rose Breasted Cockatoo, Dakota Nakira'Too~1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Serita Lynae, 10 Parakeets
    That is so awesome Christine!! I hear from Wendy you do excellent work with your Sanctuary.

Macaws are my favorite parrots and I would be in birdie heaven if I were able to take care of 21 large macaws. I am sure it is tremendous work as my 3, along with the rest of my flock are a handful at times.

Thank you for sharing your experience and how you became a sanctuary/rescue.
    ~~My Flock~~
    *In Loving Memory Of My Sweet Little Peta Girl~~R.I.P~~Love Mom*
    ~~Gotcha'~04/20/2012~~Flew Over The Rainbow Bridge~02/28/2014~~

7. The following user likes this post:

Honesty (12-01-2013)

Parrots

Merlin & Charlie the Senegals, Brucie & Lucie the Budgies!
    Ii read further, sounds like a lovely place. I wish you all the best!

Parrots

Jack/ Blue and Gold Macaw, Pickles/ Galah, Pip/ African Grey, Charlie/ Amazon, Cracker/ Cockatoo, Buddy and Bobby/ Sun Conures, Mickey, Millie, Robbie and Lady/ Green Cheek Conures, Tom/ Senegal, Woody/ hand reared Cockatiel (plus many aviary birds - Cockatiels / Budgies / Lovebirds / and Ring Neck Parakeets.)
    I have heard a lot about safe haven parrot rescue over the years and it always been very good news. The need for rescue centres in this country with parrot knowledge is not enought and I am not surprised your full. Your work is rewarding . I respect and appreciate the hard word you put in.

10. The following user likes this post:

Honesty (12-01-2013)

Parrots

Quincy CAG Hatched 03/2000 Gotcha @ 3 months old ~ Savannah GW Macaw Hatched 06/1993 Gotcha 4/2013 ~ Coqui B&G Macaw Hatched 09/2003 Gotcha 10/2013 ~ Sidney Blue Crown Conure Gotcha Day 06/2015 Hatch Date Guess 06/2010.
    What a wonderful thing you do! Thank goodness there are sanctuaries like yours to house the poor homeless pets. So many need homes. Keep up the great work!

"Nothing that matters comes easy, and nothing easy ever really matters." ~ Lyrics From Ordinary Girl By Rick Springfield

12. The following user likes this post:

Honesty (12-01-2013)