User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baby Parrotlets *pics*

Parrots

Hoosier- Red Lored Amazon - Kazoo - Mealy Amazon - JP- Pacific Parrotlet
    Quote Originally Posted by Feathers First Aviary View Post
    That is just awesome! I bet you guys have a really special bond after all that time. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of diet have you had him on? I've always been curious about the true lifespan of parrotlets, birds that are kept as well cared for pets. Many people say 10-15 years, others say 15-20 and then there are those people that swear p'lets won't live that long. I haven't been involved with them for long enough to have made my own conclusions on what their true lifespan potential may be. I bet JP will be one to prove them all wrong!
    Well my Avian Vet told me that he feels that 15 is more likely their lifespan. I have in the past fed him seed and pellets mixed and the pellets were Harrison's super fine. He likes fresh foods like veggies chopped up via the blender. Now his main base is cooked food twice a day. I feed him Bird Street Bistro Fiesta on the fly but I add in cinnamon over the mix after I make it. I also mix in Egg Food for him and every once in a while I will make a tea of herb salad and then add the organic cooked food so it absorbs the tonic if the tea. I will also add in any of the dry herbs and powders I get from the Amazons mixes that is like gold at the bottom of all their mixes.

I will a few times a week put some probiotics in his water and also once a week put vitamins in his water.
    So he eats good and loves his organic cooked food. So you see, very little seed is offered to him so he basically eats whole foods. He is doing well, in great feather, never a plucker and he is very well loved here.

Here is a picture of him last week while outside with the Zons getting some sun.

Last edited by Love my Zons; 10-31-2013 at 01:04 AM.

2. The following user likes this post:

Lady (10-25-2014)

Parrots

Quincy CAG Hatched 03/2000 Gotcha @ 3 months old ~ Savannah GW Macaw Hatched 06/1993 Gotcha 4/2013 ~ Coqui B&G Macaw Hatched 09/2003 Gotcha 10/2013 ~ Sidney Blue Crown Conure Gotcha Day 06/2015 Hatch Date Guess 06/2010.
    They are just so adorable! You do a great job with your pictures by the way. I love how you add text to them!

"Nothing that matters comes easy, and nothing easy ever really matters." ~ Lyrics From Ordinary Girl By Rick Springfield

4. The following user likes this post:

Feathers First Aviary (10-31-2013)

Parrots

Umbrella cockatoo,Goffins Cockatoo, 2 red lored amazons, blue fronted amazon, 3 black capped conures, 4 green cheek conures, 16+/- american and english budgies and babies (linneolated parakeets, parrotlets, crimson bellied conures, budgies, green cheek conures at any given time)
    Quote Originally Posted by Love my Zons View Post
    Well my Avian Vet told me that he feels that 15 is more likely their lifespan. I have in the past fed him seed and pellets mixed and the pellets were Harrison's super fine. He likes fresh foods like veggies chopped up via the blender. Now his main base is cooked food twice a day. I feed him Bird Street Bistro Fiesta on the fly but I add in cinnamon over the mix after I make it. I also mix in Egg Food for him and every once in a while I will make a tea of herb salad and then add the organic cooked food so it absorbs the tonic if the tea. I will also add in any of the dry herbs and powders I get from the Amazons mixes that is like gold at the bottom of all their mixes.

I will a few times a week put some probiotics in his water and also once a week put vitamins in his water.
    So he eats good and loves his organic cooked food. So you see, very little seed is offered to him so he basically eats whole foods. He is doing well, in great feather, never a plucker and he is very well loved here.

Here is a picture of him last week while outside with the Zons getting some sun.

You are such a good birdie mom Claire! His diet sounds absolutely wonderful! That is very similar to what our parrotlets eat as well. We do higgins seed mix, roudybush crumbles pellets and lots of fresh veggies and sprouts with the occasional whole grain pasta. Their favorite treats are nutriberries, hands down

I also noticed you have a red lored too, we have two red loreds and I just love them. Ours are a bonded pair that came from a very bad breeder and they aren't very interested in being held or touched by us but they have fantastic personalities and we love them just the same. I'm surprised RLA's aren't more common, they are one of my favorite amazons

Blancaej
    They are just so adorable! You do a great job with your pictures by the way. I love how you add text to them!
    Thanks! The main reason I have started adding the text to the photos is because I don't want scammers using my pictures to try and deceive people, I've just seen it happen so many times where they will steal a legitimate breeders photos and try to con people out of money by pretending they are selling the bird Also, by putting their info and the date on the picture it makes it much easier for me to refer back to the pictures for record keeping purposes without having any doubt that I'm looking at the correct bird
    Feel Free to Friend me on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/feathersfirstaviary

Parrots

Hoosier- Red Lored Amazon - Kazoo - Mealy Amazon - JP- Pacific Parrotlet
    Quote Originally Posted by Feathers First Aviary View Post
    You are such a good birdie mom Claire! His diet sounds absolutely wonderful! That is very similar to what our parrotlets eat as well. We do higgins seed mix, roudybush crumbles pellets and lots of fresh veggies and sprouts with the occasional whole grain pasta. Their favorite treats are nutriberries, hands down

I also noticed you have a red lored too, we have two red loreds and I just love them. Ours are a bonded pair that came from a very bad breeder and they aren't very interested in being held or touched by us but they have fantastic personalities and we love them just the same. I'm surprised RLA's aren't more common, they are one of my favorite amazons

Yes I have a male Red Lored who just turned 6 and is a joy to live with. Very sweet and very smart. You can do anything to him he is like playdoh in your hands literally. I also have a Mealy who is alittle over 4 and he too is just as sweet, playful and talks up a storm they are both buddies.

7. The following user likes this post:

Feathers First Aviary (10-31-2013)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Oh my goodness these little guys are so cute.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    I wish Feathers First would post here again. She breeds the best little birdies. Sara where are you?

Parrots

I currently own Digby - 3-year-old male Congo African Grey and Cleo - 15-year-old female Umbrella Cockatoo.
    Those birds were cute, now I see it's an older post!!

11. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (10-26-2014)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Sara has a web page where she has some really cute photos of her babies. http://feathersfirstaviary.weebly.com/