User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kismet-American Singer Canary

Parrots

Red Fronted Macaw~Holly, Hawk-Headed Parrots~ Cochise & Yuna, Black Capped Conure~Elfe, Softbills- Green Aracari~Pico, American Singer Canary~Kismet, Blue Naped Mousebird~Gryphon

Kismet-American Singer Canary-pics and video

This is Kismet, our wonderful American Singer Canary{his species is a guess, but I am pretty sure he is}. My dog found him in 09' in the backyard, in cold weather. A woman let him loose...did not want him anymore.He was exhausted. We are so glad he landed in our yard.He serenades us every day.
    When he first arrived, a tad overweight.

He lost weight after being allowed to fly and getting him on a good diet

his original cage

Here he is now

he has a much bigger cage

Last edited by keepsmiling; 04-18-2013 at 07:06 PM. Reason: added a video

2. The following 4 users like this post:

aliray (04-18-2013), buddingtwigs (04-18-2013), roxynoodle (04-18-2013), Wendy K. (04-18-2013)

Parrots

Nanday Conure (Rowdy), YCA (Pete) and CAG (Miss Merlin)
    Oh, my gosh! You've had 2 birds that found their way to you after being turned loose? What are the chances?

4. The following user likes this post:

keepsmiling (04-18-2013)

Parrots

Tiki,african redbellied, Sweetie Pie quaker, Chiquita, yellow sided gcc, Lucas, spanish timbrado canary
    Lucky for him and you he landed in your yard. What a huge cage. I have a spanish timbrado canary . I love listening to them sing. I have been hoping that the parrots would pick up his song but no luck so far. Oh well

6. The following 2 users like this post:

buddingtwigs (04-18-2013), keepsmiling (04-18-2013)

Parrots

Red Fronted Macaw~Holly, Hawk-Headed Parrots~ Cochise & Yuna, Black Capped Conure~Elfe, Softbills- Green Aracari~Pico, American Singer Canary~Kismet, Blue Naped Mousebird~Gryphon
    Thanks Audrey and Alison.
    Audrey, it hasn't been only two! I had a pair of nandays that came to my yard in the 80's, and a lot of other conures used to visit but did not stay. Then there was the land crab on my back porch,and the african lizard that I found in my bbq grill. Not to mention countless dogs and a few cats. Critters seem to have a way of finding me.
    That is cool that you also have a canary Alison. How does a Timbrado sound? I will have to look it up if you don't have a video. I do have a couple videos of Kismet. Does Lucas quit singing when he molts? Kismet is always hopping around that cage. It makes getting a pic very difficult.I have a mockinbird in my backyard that has picked up some of my bird's sounds lol.

8. The following 2 users like this post:

aliray (04-18-2013), roxynoodle (04-18-2013)

Parrots

Nanday Conure (Rowdy), YCA (Pete) and CAG (Miss Merlin)
    Lol, yes, I am the cat lady. I have come to realize I have 4 new ones out in my barn, and one has had kittens against my basement foundation. She's quite wild so she is going to be fun to catch to get fixed. I also have a mama raccoon right now with babies and I have a feeling I'm going to keep trapping her instead!

I've also had plenty of dogs show up over the years, and people have also dumped off chickens. Last fall there were 2 horses out in my back yard

10. The following 2 users like this post:

aliray (04-18-2013), keepsmiling (04-18-2013)

Parrots

Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure, hatched July 4, 2012. Georgie Leona, Sun Conure, February 8, 2001-August 8, 2012 RIP pretty girl
    Oh, pretty!! i have a spanish timbrado like Alison has. I wish i had more video of him singing, because it is lovely and he does it all the time. He is camera shy and simply won't sing when i have the camera near him. i was hiding and zooming to get this little video clip of him (sneaky).
    Curious if your timbrado sounds just like mine??
    http://youtu.be/GE_Nmqxqy84

12. The following 2 users like this post:

Parrots

Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure, hatched July 4, 2012. Georgie Leona, Sun Conure, February 8, 2001-August 8, 2012 RIP pretty girl
    Wow Carole, your canary cage is so big. Pepito would love that. I didn't have a lot of space and bought one wide enough he can fly back and forth but it looks like a dull prison next to your awesome cage. Canaries are such sweet little birds, but i feel bad because they don't get the same kind of attention that parrots get. Pepe doesn't like being handled unless NEEDED. He loves my attention, talking to him and feeding him fresh veggies, etc, and looks forward to the good things he gets when i'm there, but other than that, he really just keeps to himself and flies around and sings. He has been a wonderful bird, healthy and a great singer, that i sometimes wish there were more i could do for him. (Parrots make that stuff easier--they want to be the center of your world so it's easier to know you are making them happy.)

14. The following 2 users like this post:

Parrots

Thanks! Your canary and his song are lovely. Kismet really makes good use of that cage. I have let him out a few times but he flies like he is the stay puft marshmallow man. He really does not like being handled either, but I love the few opportunities I get to touch him. He is so soft and sweet. Oh and not all softbills don't like being with you or held! Gryphon and Pico both love it, and will fly to me to be on me!
    Here is a video of him singing along with a cd. I have never gotten super close like you. He will just stop singing. You can tell him above the cd, as he is louder.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlvmAOvwWRg

16. The following user likes this post:

aliray (04-18-2013)

Parrots

Tiki,african redbellied, Sweetie Pie quaker, Chiquita, yellow sided gcc, Lucas, spanish timbrado canary
    Patti, and Carole, Lucas does stop singing when he moults, I do not have video of him singing. they are supposed to be the loudest canarys and closer to the wild canary. Mine is green with a white tail. I bought him from a breeder, Canary Row Aviary in Port Charolette Fla. Which is about 10 miles from me. They breed and show Spanish Timbraodos. She got her stock from a man by the name of DR edwardo Furtado who was one of the founders of the spanish timbrado assoc. He moved back to Spain but still judges. Lucas was a show canary. They show them in 4 different cages one bird to each on top of each other. They are covered and when the cover comes off they have so many seconds for all the birds to burst into song and they have to sing specific notes and trills. There is a lot of info on line about the birds. When we bought Lucas we had two to choose from, Sat in chairs in with her birds they were covered and each in their own cage and when the cover was removed they started to sing and you pick the one you like the song the best. Interesting and a first for me, but I adore him and he sings his little heart out

18. The following user likes this post:

keepsmiling (04-18-2013)

Parrots

That is fascinating Alison!

20. The following user likes this post:

aliray (04-18-2013)