User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Training to Talk

I have been having the same trouble with Codie. In the end, I kept the video camera out all the time so he got used to seeing it there. I actually managed to get a video of him talking for the first time a couple of weeks ago This made me so happy

It is in the Amazon section, titled "Codie asking to come out".

Parrots

2 Male Catalina Macaws, Roscoe & Angel~1 Female Green Wing Macaw, Ruby Jewel~1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus, Leyla Belle~1 Female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Peta (R.I.P.)~1 White Capped Pionus, Sierra Sunrise~ 1 Rose Breasted Cockatoo, Dakota Nakira'Too~1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Serita Lynae, 10 Parakeets
    Luthian I think Phoenix is just going to learn at his own pace. I know my two Catalina boys knew a few words already before they came home from the breeder and they didn't stop once they settled in. Ruby Jewel, my Green Wing has moved into talking much slower. She is just now at a little over 1 1/2 yrs old starting to use familiar words she has learned in her interaction with me. She talks quite well, it just took her much longer to decide to use what she had been learning and hearing.

I too believe like Dianne that just talking to them as you go about daily chores is the best way for them to learn. All of mine that talk have picked up way more things from listening to me not talking to them directly that when I try to teach them something special. Except Miss Leyla Belle, now she loves phrases and I do repeat them to her often so she can get it all down. She gets lazy if I don't keep it up with the repeats and shortens the phrases with a roll on version all jumbled up together toward the end. LOL
    ~~My Flock~~
    *In Loving Memory Of My Sweet Little Peta Girl~~R.I.P~~Love Mom*
    ~~Gotcha'~04/20/2012~~Flew Over The Rainbow Bridge~02/28/2014~~

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    I wonder if macaws are slower in learning to talk?

Rosie just turned two. She had a few words down but like Phoenix she has been way more interested in tones. I usually got what she was saying just from her inflection.

Lately she is interested in getting words, which is fun. However, just like a toddler, she will repeat the word until I say the correct word back to her. Sometimes frustrating for her if I don't get it. Fortunately, like a toddler, I can distract her if I am just not getting it.
    Rosie & Kendra

Parrots

Rose Breasted Cockatoo Murphy and Palm Cockatoo baby Poe, Queen of Bavaria and Elvis a Spanish Timbrado and a rehomed Luci, another Palm Cockatoo

talking

Quote Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
    Ok guys, I have a 1 year old Scarlet Macaw. I know he should be at least trying to mimic words by now but he's not even trying. Does anyone have any ideas of how to get him to talk? I repeat words over and over and over with him but he's just not interested. Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks!

Eye contact and repeat. All my birds talk. My Palm Is Doing Great And They Are Not Know For talking. I say to him I Love you very slow and he starts by opening his beak and repeats ever so slow. Not clear at first but within days or weeks crystal clear, not clear like human but clear. I hold him close to me and the eye contact is incredible. He trys very hard. Make short sessions. Now the other birds pick up words easier without being in my face. My Queen really picks up things much easier. My Rose Breasted Cockatoo only says a few words and it's like his needle is stuck. If he wants anything he will say hello until you respond or pull your hair out. In the am it's feed me, later a snack, maybe a nut.

Parrots

Scarlet Macaw
    Thanks for the suggestions guys! I will defiantly keep working on him and repeating things