User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training to Talk

Parrots

Scarlet Macaw

Training to Talk

Ok guys, I have a 1 year old Scarlet Macaw. I know he should be at least trying to mimic words by now but he's not even trying. Does anyone have any ideas of how to get him to talk? I repeat words over and over and over with him but he's just not interested. Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks!

Have you tried making a cd of you talking? I made one for Codie to put on while I am out. I have repeated each word or phrase 3 times on the cd. I leave it on repeat while I am out. Codie has learnt many words by this method. It is also a comfort too him in hearing my voice while I am out

Sent from my GT-S6500 using Tapatalk 2

3. The following user likes this post:

Lady (04-22-2017)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Catalina Macaw - Harlow, Blue & Gold Macaw - Rocky, Greenwing Macaw - Ruby, Bluefront Amazon - Tequila, Hawkhead - Charlotte, 2 Blk hd Caiques - Sammy, Greta, Yellow streaked Lory - Louie, LesserSulpher 2 - Belly, Sunconure - Gingee, Yellow sided Greencheek - Disco, Goffin - Pearl, Rosebreasted 2 - Owen
    I think hes to young yet .Mine could say hello and Harlow for the longest time.Things really started happening at the 2 year mark. Don't give up yet.
    http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p779/Blancaej/Terrisignature2_zpsb1f5f78e.jpg

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    While I do not have a Macaw I have had several birds that talked. I truly think they just pick up words and sounds from the home naturally without using repetitive speech patterns. Important to remember not all parrots learn to talk. http://www.2ndchance.info/parrottalk.htm

6. The following user likes this post:

coltfire (03-27-2014)

Parrots

Quincy CAG Hatched 03/2000 Gotcha @ 3 months old ~ Savannah GW Macaw Hatched 06/1993 Gotcha 4/2013 ~ Coqui B&G Macaw Hatched 09/2003 Gotcha 10/2013 ~ Sidney Blue Crown Conure Gotcha Day 06/2015 Hatch Date Guess 06/2010.
    I agree, although most birds can learn to talk right away (except greys usually don't start for a year) I don't think they have a big vocabulary at first. I am sure in time she will say more. Savannah is not a big talker, probably says less then 10 things. But she wasn't in the best social environment in her previous home. She is a closet talker, too. When no one is around (in the room with her) she does lots of jibber jabber. I can't always make out everything she says. But she does talk and I try to praise her when she does so it encourages more talking. The cd idea is great way to go as well. I may try that with Savannah!

"Nothing that matters comes easy, and nothing easy ever really matters." ~ Lyrics From Ordinary Girl By Rick Springfield

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    I would love to hear your bird talk Blanca. Macaws must be so much fun to have in your life.

Parrots

Quincy CAG Hatched 03/2000 Gotcha @ 3 months old ~ Savannah GW Macaw Hatched 06/1993 Gotcha 4/2013 ~ Coqui B&G Macaw Hatched 09/2003 Gotcha 10/2013 ~ Sidney Blue Crown Conure Gotcha Day 06/2015 Hatch Date Guess 06/2010.
    One of these days I will try to record Savannah. It's hard to catch her talking on video. I love having Savannah in my life. She is such a joy and so easy going.

Quincy on the other hand is a great talker. I hope to get more videos of him talking away!

"Nothing that matters comes easy, and nothing easy ever really matters." ~ Lyrics From Ordinary Girl By Rick Springfield

10. The following user likes this post:

Honesty (09-30-2013)

Parrots

Scarlet Macaw
    Thanks for all the replies guys! In June he will be 2 years old now and he's starting to mimic my vocal tones in his squawking It's so cute!

12. The following 5 users like this post:

Debra (03-24-2014), Honesty (03-24-2014), kendrafitz (03-24-2014), Pinkbirdy (03-25-2014), Turquoise (04-08-2014)

You will have to try and get a video of him

Parrots

Scarlet Macaw
    Lol I'm trying but he seems to be video shy, although he loves his picture being taken. He poses for the camera