User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rosie's Revenge

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    I had a friend comment on my engagement/wedding ring the other day. So I went into the whole story. Since I was looking for the pics on the forum anyway, I thought I would reshare this. Macaws beaks are STRONG. Yet precise. I never felt pain from Rosie, just from the ring pushing into my finger. I am still amazed by that. Just incredible.

The most ridiculous thing is I didn't learn my lesson. She did the same thing to my wedding ring a few months later. Sadly, I still didn't learn my lesson. About a year or so ago she got my wedding ring again, not so much squeezed into my finger though. She squeezed and crushed a couple diamonds. I didn't have the heart to tell Jef and so I just put it away. I'll get it fixed again at some point.

I have finally learned my lesson. I now have a jewelry plate on the windowsill above the kitchen sink. Since I always wash my hands when coming in the house, I just put the ring there. They say the third time is the charm, after all. Lol.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0137.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	4879
    Rosie & Kendra

2. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-03-2017), Lady (04-02-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Well a lesson you won't repeat now. Lady is the same way, if I have jewelry on it's something she wants to take an explore.

4. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-03-2017), kendrafitz (04-02-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Yikes Kendra! That first pic looked painful. Rosie has a ginormous beak....musta really hurt.

I stopped wearing earrings years ago because the birds were constantly biting my ears to get at them. Same as the rings. They are all in my jewellery box collecting dust. Boy, what we don't do for our birds.

6. The following user likes this post:

kendrafitz (04-03-2017)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Hey Kendra, too bad you can't devise a way to convince Rosie that she should squeeze chunks of coal into diamonds

Kidding aside, Terrie told me that Salsa once lunged at her mother-in-law, proceeding to quickly and aggressively rip one of her earrings from her ear. She said that the incident happened after she had repeatedly warned her MIL to maintain a safe distance from Sals at all times to preclude all potential for the very scenario. I suppose the moral is: sometimes it takes an incident (or two)
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

8. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-03-2017), kendrafitz (04-03-2017), Quakerella (04-03-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Wow, She really did a number on those rings. I am glad your finger is okay. Even as veteran bird owners we all still learn lessons now and then.

10. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-03-2017), kendrafitz (04-03-2017)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    Everything is fine and I got a new ring setting out of the deal. So it all worked out in the end. Well, except for the last wedding ring incident. On the plus side, I can't wear my engagement and wedding rings at the same time since I got the new setting.

It is just amazing that even with her strength while bending the metal she never hurt me. Always gentle with Mommy. Unless she is panicked or hard pinching me while having a tantrum. But even hard pinching isn't bad.

The lesson is respect the beak. Those beaks have tons of power behind them. It's a blessing that even though they are so powerfully strong, our babies love us enough to make us part of their flock and be gentle with us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rosie & Kendra

12. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-03-2017), Lady (04-05-2017), PlaxMacaws (04-03-2017)