User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rosie's Revenge

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)

Rosie's Revenge

I spent almost the entire day out today, having lunch and shopping with a friend. It was a really nice, relaxing day, for me. Rosie was in her cage and the cleaning ladies came so I am guessing not so relaxing for her.

Anyway, I don't usually wear my jewelry anymore unless I am going out due to the annoyance factor of keeping Rosie off it. Today I put on my wedding rings and a necklace and was wearing them when I walked in the door with my daughter (I picked her up from school).

As soon as we got to the door, Rosie started screaming, demanding that I let her out immediately. I brought her to her tree, she went potty and then asked to cuddle. I was holding her and Ashie came over to chat about Halloween costumes. Well, I guess that sent Miss Rosie over the edge. She was not going to be ignored any longer today. So, she very slowly clamped down on my engagement ring and applied pressure. Of course, I didn't notice as I was chatting until the ring was digging into my hand. I moved my hand from Rosie's beak and diamonds went flying and then I noticed my hand.

I then noticed I was losing feeling in my finger and called for Jef (it's times like this that I am so glad he works from a home office). He came down, panicked and got bolt cutters. Then looked at me as if I was an insane person and asked my why in the world Rosie hanging and swinging off my ponytail like a crazed monkey when I had a hurt hand. So I put Miss I Am Going To Make You Pay For Ignoring Me back on her tree. 5 minutes, a pair of bolt cutters, some pliers, scissors and some muttering from Jef later, the ring was off.

Needless to say, my husband is not happy with Rosie. He told my daughter when he put that ring on my finger 14 years ago he never pictured this. I heard him saying Stupid Bird as he headed back to his office. I guess I will have to hope we can salvage it, fortunately my wedding band is in tact.

So for anyone that questions the strength of the slow clamp of a macaw, here you go. Funny enough, it didn't even hurt until my ring started cutting into my skin. I am so used to having my fingers in her beak all the time. Plus, she wasn't trying to hurt me, just annoy me by doing something she knows she is not allowed to do. Sigh....
    Rosie & Kendra

2. The following user likes this post:

Turquoise (09-27-2013)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Oh my goodness Rosie, Mom is not happy with you today. I guess you do not know a thing about diamonds except that they are shiny and pretty. I hope you found them and can get the ring repaired. You will have to take it out of Rosie's allowance!

4. The following 2 users like this post:

kendrafitz (09-24-2013), Turquoise (09-27-2013)

Parrots

TAG: Spirit, Senegal: Damon, Blue & Gold: Paris, Parrotlet: Opal, CAG :Boomer, Quaker: Widget and at a foster parents RLA: Danny. :D
    It looks like it was a day for the macs to act up! Glad your finger is OK. A good jewelry maker can fix that right up.
    “She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.” ― Mark Twain

6. The following user likes this post:

kendrafitz (09-27-2013)

Parrots

It sure was! I think I got off a bit better than you though. That finger looks like it might start to hurt!

I was thinking of having my ring reset for our 15th anniversary. It might just happen a bit sooner, I guess.
    Rosie & Kendra

Nobility Member

Parrots

Catalina Macaw - Harlow, Blue & Gold Macaw - Rocky, Greenwing Macaw - Ruby, Bluefront Amazon - Tequila, Hawkhead - Charlotte, 2 Blk hd Caiques - Sammy, Greta, Yellow streaked Lory - Louie, LesserSulpher 2 - Belly, Sunconure - Gingee, Yellow sided Greencheek - Disco, Goffin - Pearl, Rosebreasted 2 - Owen
    Oh My, don't underestimate her!!!
    http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p779/Blancaej/Terrisignature2_zpsb1f5f78e.jpg

9. The following user likes this post:

kendrafitz (09-25-2013)

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Gee, Kendra! That's sure unfortunate about your ring (and your finger)... I'm sorry to hear that it happened. Your photos express the magnitude of the situation quite well .

As you know, parrots are quite intelligent. I've found that it's common for them to attempt an infliction of punishment upon their humans when they don't get their way. It's good to be mindful that genetically parrots are wild animals and that each of them possess quite a formidable tool as one of its facial features. I've always felt that it's up to us as their caregivers and guardians to keep them away from dangerous objects and situations. Unfortunately, that's often not an easy policy to follow. I know that I've had my share of mishaps with my Macaws through the years.

Please don't let anyone blame Rosie for being herself. She knows not the extent of what she's done. Hopefully your finger won't suffer permanent impairment, and perhaps your ring can be repaired.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

11. The following user likes this post:

kendrafitz (09-25-2013)

Wow Kendra! Your ring is quite a bad state. I hope it can be repaired! It just goes to show the power in those big beaks !

13. The following user likes this post:

kendrafitz (09-25-2013)

Parrots

It's all good. . My finger is fine. I honestly didn't notice until I felt more pressure than usual from her on my finger. By then the ring has a vice grip on me. lol. I know she wasn't trying to hurt me. She was very sneaky and slow about it, so I think she was just getting revenge by doing something she knew she wasn't allowed to do. She truly is just like a toddler, always testing,

It really was my fault. I dropped the ball by forgetting to take my rings off and then by not noticing what she was doing.

Jef doesn't have a whole lot of love for Rosie anyway. But he was goofy talking to her last night when he thought no one was looking. So I am guessing he is fine. He was very happy that he was able to remove the ring himself and that I didn't have to go to the er. He mentioned the cost if a new setting will probably be only a bit more than an er visit.

The only really angry one was Ashie. She is very sentimental and didn't want me to replace the ring her dad gave me when I wanted to reset it. But fortunately, she has moved on to more important issues, like Halloween.

I am just amused and amazed by the strength and control that beak has. Just enough to bend the ring, but not hurt me. I actually just pulled my hand away, no resistance from her. I really had no idea of what she was doing until I saw my finger. Crazy little mischievous girl!
    Rosie & Kendra

15. The following 2 users like this post:

Honesty (09-25-2013), Turquoise (09-27-2013)

Parrots

Quincy CAG Hatched 03/2000 Gotcha @ 3 months old ~ Savannah GW Macaw Hatched 06/1993 Gotcha 4/2013 ~ Coqui B&G Macaw Hatched 09/2003 Gotcha 10/2013 ~ Sidney Blue Crown Conure Gotcha Day 06/2015 Hatch Date Guess 06/2010.
    Wow Kendra, better your ring then your finger! But I have a feeling she knew that the ring would just make you mad and not hurt you. LOL! Glad it came off ok. The ring can be fixed. It's great you have a good attitude about it. Makes you a great parront!

"Nothing that matters comes easy, and nothing easy ever really matters." ~ Lyrics From Ordinary Girl By Rick Springfield

17. The following 2 users like this post:

kendrafitz (09-25-2013), Lady (04-02-2017)

Parrots

2 Male Catalina Macaws, Roscoe & Angel~1 Female Green Wing Macaw, Ruby Jewel~1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus, Leyla Belle~1 Female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Peta (R.I.P.)~1 White Capped Pionus, Sierra Sunrise~ 1 Rose Breasted Cockatoo, Dakota Nakira'Too~1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Serita Lynae, 10 Parakeets
    My goodness Rosie has good but expensive taste, meaning Diamond & Gold!!

Glad your finger is fine and the ring is salvageable. Miss Rosie was probably secretly laughing about it afterwards. Thinking she paid Mom back for her perceived neglect.
    ~~My Flock~~
    *In Loving Memory Of My Sweet Little Peta Girl~~R.I.P~~Love Mom*
    ~~Gotcha'~04/20/2012~~Flew Over The Rainbow Bridge~02/28/2014~~

19. The following user likes this post:

kendrafitz (09-27-2013)