User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So, You Want A Parrot, Eh?

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    Renée - I tried to send you a pm but it won't go through.
    Rosie & Kendra

Sorry about that, I just cleared out a couple pm's as I tend not to be good at doing that.

I don't think a lot of people are aware of what those groups are really about and what they are doing. They make things sound sooooo bad, get you to support them and then all those donations you send is what is funding all the stuff they are doing to us. People need to wake up, smell that coffee and stand up to them, not support them.

Parrots

Sun conure, Black crowned conure, Yellow sided conure, and an IRN
    I love the article. Had I read it, I might have thought twice before taking on Sucre. I think it's great.

I checked the link and couldn't find the list of things that are harmful to parrots. Perhaps we could start a sticky with a list, if there isn't one already? (This coming from a woman who is trying to figure out a safe way to battle my yearly ant brigade with all of my pets running around.)

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Renee' - Perhaps it's best not to focus so much on where that article was originally posted, but more on what it's saying about the complication of acquiring and caring for a parrot. People need to realize the reality of the commitment! I had to post the URL because of copyright concerns.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

I understand where you are coming from Tony but using anything that comes from 'that side' is exactly what they want to have happen. It is WRONG because then by posting it you are in essence advocating what they are doing to us, getting these laws passed with the ultimate goal of no animal ownership and for humans to become vegans.

The next birds on the list are the Hys and Scarlets and from what I understand the Greys will be next. They are working on one species at a time but you tell me how is that going to help the birds in the wild when here in the US we already have laws on the books making it illegal to bring them in. And if you live in a state that makes it illegal to even own something listed on the ESA list, they come in confiscate that (bird) item, what do you think is going to be the next step? You think they are going to find a home in another 'safe' state? No, they will kill that it plain and simple.

No, posting this is not right because people, especial newbies will have no clue to their agenda and will support all of their things without realizing what is truly going on. WAKE UP PEOPLE BEFORE THEY CONFISCATE YOUR OWN BIRDS. That day IS coming.

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Renee'- I understand and support your concern. But it's really not that simple. There are multiple factors and multiple contradictions as far as the best governance policy for captive parrots. Irresponsible breeders and quick profit scam havens like Craigslist run amuck all over the world. Hordes of people acquire parrots as whim purchases every day. And the bulk of those folks are under-informed about the many and serious drawbacks of parrot guardianship. It is this sad fact that equals a whole lot of accumulating discarded birds on our planet

So to just say we should conceal certain messages that accurately detail the negative realities of keeping parrots because we're trying to boycott the AR groups has the potential to send a confusing signal to a lot of folks. Most people don't understand the politics behind such efforts and seldom take the time to do so. Whenever there's an impressive message describing the things we all need to know about parrot keeping, and that message, in an impactful and memorable way, stands to dissuade a significant number of folks from acquiring young birds that would inevitably otherwise be discarded due to the rampant lack of awareness among humans about what keeping parrots entails, I will support that message!

Please know that I feel there's nothing wrong with calling attention to the ultimate agenda of certain AR groups, and that I acknowledge the importance of doing so. But such efforts should not include attacking those messages that help people understand how demanding and permanent owning a parrot actually happens to be. To me, it matters not what the fine print URL happens to be. Instead, the content of the message is what counts. It's important to consider that folks who are prone to make new parrot whim purchases typically aren't interested in the politics or lobbyist agendas involved. They just want a parrot because parrots seem fun to have.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

Parrots

Maroon-bellied Conure, Rainbow Lorikeet
    Oh god they actually need help.

Banned

Parrots

WebbWenIE
    Is there a specific reason why the user is unable to send a private message to Renée, and is there any information or assistance needed regarding that issue?

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    This thread is 5 years old. Renee is probably no longer a member.