User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I did it!

Parrots

Punky (Galah), Skittles (Rainbow Lorikeet), Mia (Sun Conure), Max (Green Cheek Conure), Tonks (Cockatiel), Tessa (Cockatiel), Lola (Budgie), Sid (Lovebird), Aussie (Lovebird), Johnny (Lovebird)

I did it!

So I bought a rainbow lorikeet and I pick him/her up on Saturday - so excited!!! Its a hand reared baby, the breeder is still waiting for DNA results but I'm impatient and not fussed as to whether I get a boy or girl so I'm picking him/her up early

I've been researching the diet non stop - but I'm having trouble finding info on one thing... Everywhere states that they eat the wet or dry lorikeet mix, and fruit and veg... In the chop mix that I usually make I add brown rice, quinoa, oats and other similar stuff - is that okay to feed to a lorikeet or should I make a different batch for him/her? NOTHING I've found has mentioned any of it and I just want to make sure I don't do anything wrong :/ any advice would be much appreciated

2. The following 3 users like this post:

Honesty (08-29-2013), Pinkbirdy (09-04-2013), Turquoise (09-01-2013)

Congrtats on your soon to be new addition Look forward to seeing pics

Here are a few links to a Lorikeet's diet.

http://www.gladesvillevet.com.au/pag...idArticle=9891

http://birdhealth.com.au/petbirds/ca..._Lorikeet.html

http://www.kcbbs.gen.nz/lori/diet.html

4. The following 2 users like this post:

tonkatiel (08-30-2013), Turquoise (09-01-2013)

Parrots

eclectus x 4, cockatiels x4, lories x2, budgies x26 and babies all year round of all my birds
    tonkatiel, those sites Wendy put up are all you need for his/her diet, i found when i breed lorries they were the most playful of all birds ive had, and not two the same. you will be in for some fun time's looking forward to pics and hearing all about his/her antics .

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Honesty (08-29-2013), tonkatiel (08-30-2013)

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    tonkatiel: You may also do well to check with the breeder on diet advice.

Best of congrats on your soon-to-be new flock mate!
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

8. The following user likes this post:

tonkatiel (08-30-2013)

Parrots

Punky (Galah), Skittles (Rainbow Lorikeet), Mia (Sun Conure), Max (Green Cheek Conure), Tonks (Cockatiel), Tessa (Cockatiel), Lola (Budgie), Sid (Lovebird), Aussie (Lovebird), Johnny (Lovebird)
    Thanks guys yeah I'll definitely be asking the breeder about the diet, even if its just to find out what brand of wet mix I should use
    Definitely excited and will post photos ASAP! This will be my first handreared bird - all my others started off as avairy birds so its all going to be new...

I haven't spent a heap of time around lorikeets but every one I have spent time with have been absolutely nutty so I'm expecting it to be lots of fun!

I've got the cage all set up with a couple of shower curtains covering the walls and carpet around it lol, I'm hoping to get a more permanent thing sorted soon but this will do for now

10. The following 2 users like this post:

Honesty (08-30-2013), Turquoise (09-01-2013)

Look forward to seeing pics

Parrots

eclectus x 4, cockatiels x4, lories x2, budgies x26 and babies all year round of all my birds
    if you can get him/her on dry mix , they are a messy bird anyway and the wet mix inside makes a lot more mess, just have to change the water more often

13. The following user likes this post:

ShellyBorg (09-01-2013)

Parrots

Quincy CAG Hatched 03/2000 Gotcha @ 3 months old ~ Savannah GW Macaw Hatched 06/1993 Gotcha 4/2013 ~ Coqui B&G Macaw Hatched 09/2003 Gotcha 10/2013 ~ Sidney Blue Crown Conure Gotcha Day 06/2015 Hatch Date Guess 06/2010.
    Congratulations Tonkatiel! That is such exciting news! Can't wait to see pics!

"Nothing that matters comes easy, and nothing easy ever really matters." ~ Lyrics From Ordinary Girl By Rick Springfield

Parrots

Sorry I didn't put any photos up last night, decided to let her get used to us for a while before shoving a camera in her face lol...
    Not sure of the sex until the DNA comes back, but the breeder seemed pretty sure she's a girl
    I've been calling her Skittles, but can't decide if I should stick with that name or call her something different since Skittles seems to be a pretty common name for rainbow lorikeets lol...

Anyway, she came and watched a movie in bed with us this morning, and I managed to get a few pics

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1378003879613.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	1200

I don't think my 6 year old really knew what to think when she landed on her head lol, none of my other Fids like my kids so this was a first lol

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1378003821729.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	1198

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1378003848566.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	1199

16. The following 4 users like this post:

Debra (09-01-2013), Honesty (09-02-2013), Pinkbirdy (09-04-2013), Turquoise (09-01-2013)

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    What a beautiful and adorable little bird! I love their colors !!!
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!