User Tag List

Thread: Macaw 'no nip' training videos

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"

Macaw 'no nip' training videos

The video clips below demonstrate two beak grasping techniques intended to teach large Macaws acceptable beak pressure on human hands. I have had good success with each technique.

The first technique: I place my middle finger inside the bird's lower beak (i.e., below the bird's tongue, where my middle finger is resting on the bird's inner hard beak surface rather than back into the soft tissue area near the under part of the tongue). I then pinch my thumb and my index finger together near their tips and rest them against the flat underside of the bird's upper beak surface. This allows me to spread my thumb upward and away from my middle finger and thus pry the bird's beak open as it tries to squeeze my fingers beyond an acceptable pressure threshold.

The second technique: I wrap my fingers around the bird's upper beak and place my thumb inside the bird's lower beak (i.e., below the bird's tongue, where my thumb is resting on the bird's inner hard beak surface rather than back into the soft tissue area near the under part of the tongue). I then leverage my thumb downward, thus prying the bird's beak open as it tries to squeeze my fingers beyond an acceptable pressure threshold.

While performing either no nip grasp, a firmly spoken word or phrase should be used for the bird to associate with the action. Something like "too hard" or "no pinch" is fine. And always be sure to use the same word or phrase. Consistency is crucially important as far as obtaining the desired result.

When performed correctly, each technique will allow you to avoid making contact with the forward cutting edge of the bird's lower beak. It's important to note that each technique requires multiple repetitions and consistency to imprint upon the bird. Once applied enough times, a large Macaw will learn where the "too hard" point lies and will thus strive to keep from reaching that point in order to avoid further beak grasps.

Once a bird begins to take the intended message from either of the full grasp techniques, it's possible to remind the bird (if and when necessary) by simply inserting the index finger into the lower beak and placing the thump against the underside of the upper beak then applying a moderate spreading pressure.

(Note: The techniques described above and depicted within the video clips below are two methods intended to convey an acceptable finger-squeezing threshold point to large Macaws. They may not produce a desired result with every bird. Again, I have personally had good success utilizing these techniques. If you don't feel confident applying either of the techniques, please refrain from trying them.)

2. The following user likes this post:

Christinenc2000 (06-06-2016)