User Tag List

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Paris Needs A Mate (Human)

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksmom View Post
    Not fried, just baked. I always wait until he has eaten his breakfast before giving him anything like that, though...but I wonder sometimes if I should give him so much meat at a time. See? He destroys it...
    That's a lot of protein at once for a bird, even one the size of a large Macaw. Within the first few years after my Jack came to live with me (early 80s), I tended to give him large chunks of whatever I was eating (chicken legs, pizza slices, etc.) but soon learned that doing so may not be the best thing for him... or for Maynard, who had become a member of my family back then as well. Although Macaws need more fat than many other parrot species, the amount of fat intake is still a concern (it's good that the leg Jack's munching on -or is he taking a snooze?- is baked). And I'm always mindful that protein intoxication is also possible with a Macaw. Most avian vets agree that it's probably best for our guys to get most of their protein intake from quality pellets and various nuts. But it's easy to see that your Jack enjoys his pleasant life
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

Intoxication from protein, who knew meat could make birds drunk! Though yeah, he may enjoy that, heh...no, not a snooze, just blinking...made for a funny pic, though!

I had seen so many people recommend giving parrots a chicken leg I tried to tell myself the amount may not be a big deal, especially since they aren't many parrots larger than this species. I think Shelly's idea of a wing may be more of an appropriate amount, though! (Yeah, Paris loves any sort of sauce - she is so funny! That must be carefully licked off first every time!)

I am not sure I agree protein needs to come from nuts and pellets, though...there is always bean protein!
    Last edited by jacksmom; 09-03-2013 at 03:14 PM.

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksmom View Post
    I am not sure I agree protein needs to come from nuts and pellets, though...there is always bean protein!
    Yeah, beans are fine as well. They're a very good source of protein and other nutrients. Veggies are always superb foods if/when our birds will eat them
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

I don't give mine a choice sometimes if I really want them to eat a veggie...like kale...I put it in a food processor and put it in their chop...then they get some whether they like it or not. Thanks for warning me about the meat amount, I have always wondered! :screwy:

Parrots

TAG: Spirit, Senegal: Damon, Blue & Gold: Paris, Parrotlet: Opal, CAG :Boomer, Quaker: Widget and at a foster parents RLA: Danny. :D
    When I give legs or wings I strip a lot of the meat off first. They have to work at what's left. Spirit loves to eat the bone marrow. There was no sauce on the wing, silly girl was just licking the bone and meat. LOL
    “She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.” ― Mark Twain

Heh, she has such refined eating habits!

Oh, that's a good idea...duh! Sometimes I miss a forest on account of all the trees! Nice to have helpful bird folk handy!

Parrots

Cockatoo, African Grey
    Hello,
    I lost my Blue and Gold and have been looking for another that needs a forever home. I have 25 yrs experience with large parrots. Your baby would have a great home.
    I am in NY perhaps we could make some kind of arrangements? Best wishes in any case, I am sure this is hard on you. Roann

PS my e-mail is redsk3@yahoo.com

Parrots

TAG: Spirit, Senegal: Damon, Blue & Gold: Paris, Parrotlet: Opal, CAG :Boomer, Quaker: Widget and at a foster parents RLA: Danny. :D
    REK2458 Paris has happily found a forever home.
    “She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.” ― Mark Twain