User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: African Grey breeders or Rescues in the Northern Virginia area?

Parrots

Ricky & Sandi - budgies

African Grey breeders or Rescues in the Northern Virginia area?

Hope this is the right place for this. I was wondering if anyone knew of any reputable breeders of African Greys in the Northern Virginia area or maybe a decent rescue. I was browsing the Phoenix Landing site, I think there's one up in PA a few hours away but their adoption policy seems way strict. I understand they are doing it for the welfare of the birds but it seems just too extreme to me. I want another grey, I think I'd really like another baby but I'm not ready to rule out taking in an older one.
    Last edited by spiritbird; 08-17-2013 at 12:50 PM.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    The breeder I got Rosie from is in Florida and will ship. Not too far away from VA. Jean Patterson is well known and has been breading greys for many years. http://www.africanqueenaviaries.com/

Others:

http://www.hoobly.com/U6JaSQ/handfed...ican-greys.htm

Another option for you is with the African Queen aviaries (Jean Patterson's birds) in Maryland which would not be too long of a drive for you. A wonderful hand feeder named Jane Norman gets some of the chicks from Fla. and hand feeds them until ready to go to homes. This is the person who fed Rosie. She has extensive knowledge of the species. http://www.janesparrots.com/parronts.html If you contact her you can use my name.
    Last edited by spiritbird; 08-17-2013 at 01:17 PM.

3. The following 2 users like this post:

Turquoise (08-18-2013), Wulfgeist (08-19-2013)

Parrots

B and G: Sparky, Red Fronted macaw: Jax, RBC: Pretty
    Really phoenix landing is not very strict, their process is very easy, I have done home inspections for them as well as fostered. Everyone who does the inspections are bird owners as well so we get that nothing is perfect. If your knowledgable and kind and have the means to care for a bird they will see that. Give them a chance. :-).

5. The following user likes this post:

Turquoise (08-18-2013)

Parrots

Ricky & Sandi - budgies
    Thanks for the links, Dianne.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Catalina Macaw - Harlow, Blue & Gold Macaw - Rocky, Greenwing Macaw - Ruby, Bluefront Amazon - Tequila, Hawkhead - Charlotte, 2 Blk hd Caiques - Sammy, Greta, Yellow streaked Lory - Louie, LesserSulpher 2 - Belly, Sunconure - Gingee, Yellow sided Greencheek - Disco, Goffin - Pearl, Rosebreasted 2 - Owen
    Wulgeist,{Im so sorry about your Grey] . I understand your wanting to get another. I lost my Rosebreasted 2 last October. Her empty cage was making my crazy. In the mean time. I ended up with a few more birds . I figured I would keep getting them until I got another Rosebeasted. I live in New York [and tried to find one around here.] .I didn't see one ,so I knew I would have to use a breeder that shipped. It ended up being such a awesome experience [I wanted to share]. In you search [and it comes to this ] Don't be afraid of the shipping . My breeder was so great [Owen who came in June was almost trained]. I would think you wouldn't have to much trouble finding a Grey.I have one bird store by me ,and he cant keep his Greys there {they sell first] Good Luck
    http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p779/Blancaej/Terrisignature2_zpsb1f5f78e.jpg

8. The following 2 users like this post:

spiritbird (08-18-2013), Wulfgeist (08-18-2013)

Parrots

Ricky & Sandi - budgies
    Thank you, Terri. The place I got Jasper from has one baby right now. I want so badly to call and see if it's from his same parents, that would make it a sibling. They don't sell over the internet and I don't have the funds right this moment anyhow otherwise I'd send a friend back there to go buy it for me and worry about getting it back here when it's weaned lol.

I did contact Jane who told me she has a couple right now. I might have to wait for the next time she gets some, work has slowed down a bit and it's not as easy to put that aside at the moment. My goal is by the end of the year, sooner if possible.

10. The following user likes this post:

Pinkbirdy (08-18-2013)

Parrots

eclectus x 4, cockatiels x4, lories x2, budgies x26 and babies all year round of all my birds
    Rj i hope its sooner than later for you,and also hope work picks up for you.

12. The following user likes this post:

Wulfgeist (08-19-2013)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Jane takes the chicks a few times a year. She lives in southern Maryland which would not be too far from you. I am crossing fingers that you get one of her babies. They are healthy, weaned to pellets and fledged. Rosie could already step up when I got her at 13 weeks of age. She also will board the birds she has raised if the need arises which she did once for me.

Parrots

Ricky & Sandi - budgies
    I've been emailing her with my questions. I think I'd like to get one of those birds but right this moment I can't. The move, the new cat and his needs and the vet trip for Jasper that didn't help tapped me out pretty good. She has two right now, a 9 week old she thinks is femaile and a 24 week old male that needs the right person. Even with the 9 week old I won't have enough saved up by the time it's ready with what's going on at work right now. I'm sort of thinking I should just see if I can put a deposit towards one of the next bunch whenever she gets them. By that time it should be easier financially. I really like the way she raises the babies and she's about average price.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Catalina Macaw - Harlow, Blue & Gold Macaw - Rocky, Greenwing Macaw - Ruby, Bluefront Amazon - Tequila, Hawkhead - Charlotte, 2 Blk hd Caiques - Sammy, Greta, Yellow streaked Lory - Louie, LesserSulpher 2 - Belly, Sunconure - Gingee, Yellow sided Greencheek - Disco, Goffin - Pearl, Rosebreasted 2 - Owen
    http://buffalo.craigslist.org/pet/4008046497.html If this didn't post [its Buffalo Newyork craigslist scroll way down next 100 ] 600 dollar grey [male ] 3yrs old [very tame ] . Wulfgeist what about a road trip ?
    http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p779/Blancaej/Terrisignature2_zpsb1f5f78e.jpg

16. The following user likes this post:

Wulfgeist (08-22-2013)