User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got A New Little Feathered Friend

Got A New Little Feathered Friend

Hello everybody.....I have not been around for a long time! With being newly retired we have been taking a lot of summer road trips while the weather is nice.

But I am a bird owner once again! Even though I am not 'officially' a Parrot owner yet I hope my new little friend still counts.

I had a friend who had one last Zebra finch and wanted to rehome him. She knew I was going to be getting back into birds again and asked (begged) if I would take him. How could I say no! This little Zebra male is cute as a button! He talks up a storm and is partially hand tame. He will sit on my finger and seems to like my shoulder the best. He will grind his beak just like the big Parrots when he is sitting on my shoulder.

I suppose I am the ONLY one on this forum that owns a finch and not a parrot? Oh well...I am starting small....really small!

Here is a picture of my little guy. I have not named him yet...still thinking of what to call him.

Oh and I am also posting a photo of a pretty little ceramic plaque that my Sister gave me. I will have to find a special place in my bird room to hang it.

2. The following 5 users like this post:

Honesty (08-11-2013), Mare (08-15-2013), Pinkbirdy (08-11-2013), plax (08-12-2013), Turquoise (08-11-2013)

Parrots

Quincy CAG Hatched 03/2000 Gotcha @ 3 months old ~ Savannah GW Macaw Hatched 06/1993 Gotcha 4/2013 ~ Coqui B&G Macaw Hatched 09/2003 Gotcha 10/2013 ~ Sidney Blue Crown Conure Gotcha Day 06/2015 Hatch Date Guess 06/2010.
    Welcome Carrie to you and your little new finch! He is adorable. All bird owners are welcome here, doesn't have to be a parrot! Sometimes it's good to start small. I'm sure he will have lots of personality in a small package! That plaque is beautiful! Can't wait to find out what you decide to name your new finch!

"Nothing that matters comes easy, and nothing easy ever really matters." ~ Lyrics From Ordinary Girl By Rick Springfield

Parrots

2 Male Catalina Macaws, Roscoe & Angel~1 Female Green Wing Macaw, Ruby Jewel~1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus, Leyla Belle~1 Female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Peta (R.I.P.)~1 White Capped Pionus, Sierra Sunrise~ 1 Rose Breasted Cockatoo, Dakota Nakira'Too~1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Serita Lynae, 10 Parakeets
    Awesome Carrie!! I love finches even tho I don't 'currently' own any. (Have thought about getting a pair again) He looks so cute on your finger. Will you be getting him a mate? I know finches are happiest when they are paired or at least back when I had them that was the advice I got from the breeder who raised them in my hometown. I love your plaque your sister gave you. It is beautiful and so colorful!!

I had 2 pair of them way back in the early '80s. One was the normal Zebra finch & one pair was the white Zebra finches. I adored the cute sounds they made. After they were gone I didn't get anymore. I had larger parrots by then & just went with that instead.
    ~~My Flock~~
    *In Loving Memory Of My Sweet Little Peta Girl~~R.I.P~~Love Mom*
    ~~Gotcha'~04/20/2012~~Flew Over The Rainbow Bridge~02/28/2014~~

Congrats Carrie. He is adorable

I love the ceramic plaque your Sister has given you

This makes me miss my finches. I love their sound. I, too, can't wait to see what you name him.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Carrie I am so glad you posted the photo. What an adorable bird.

Parrots

eclectus x 4, cockatiels x4, lories x2, budgies x26 and babies all year round of all my birds
    Carrie he is so cute, love how he is just sitting on your finger , now like the rest we will just have to wait to find out what you have named him.

Thanks everybody. I do plan to find him a friend. He is such a little package of joy! He comes to the front of the cage when I am around. He really enjoys the shredded broccoli and carrots I offer him as well as his bath time. I think he is getting spoiled already.....

It is fun to have him tame enough to sit on my shoulder. He sure poops a lot tho! But my shoulder diaper takes care of that. At least they are small poops. Bet none of you big Parrot owners can say that! Neener....Neener

I decided to name him "Romeo" since he is so friendly and cuddles up to my neck.

10. The following user likes this post:

Turquoise (08-12-2013)

Parrots

2 Male Catalina Macaws, Roscoe & Angel~1 Female Green Wing Macaw, Ruby Jewel~1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus, Leyla Belle~1 Female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Peta (R.I.P.)~1 White Capped Pionus, Sierra Sunrise~ 1 Rose Breasted Cockatoo, Dakota Nakira'Too~1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Serita Lynae, 10 Parakeets
    Awww, a great choice for a name. And I bet Romeo will show you just how much he lives up to that name if you get him a little sweety to snuggle up to. I wonder if he will still want to sit on your finger or will give you up like some parrots do when they choose a spouse? I got mine as pairs already & they were not friendly, so I don't have any experience with whether they stay that way.

Yep, you got that right! My big kids could fill a shoulder diaper up pretty fast. One reason I keep mine on my arm & point their fannies away from me. :th_laughing6:
    ~~My Flock~~
    *In Loving Memory Of My Sweet Little Peta Girl~~R.I.P~~Love Mom*
    ~~Gotcha'~04/20/2012~~Flew Over The Rainbow Bridge~02/28/2014~~

Parrots

eclectus x 4, cockatiels x4, lories x2, budgies x26 and babies all year round of all my birds
    i like the name, so when do you get his Juliet. as for poop i just keep an eye on those tail feathers if they go up the bird gets off and most times im quick enough