User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cage Bar Spacing Recommendations.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Oh good, I was hoping I didn't ask too much of Santa. I hope Rudolph can work his magic and pull it all the way from the workshop! As far as the chimney, well Jean-Pierre. we plan on asking for one of those next year!

2. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-15-2016), Dragonlady2 (12-15-2016), Quakerella (12-15-2016)

Parrots

Sulphur-Crested Cockatoo
    Hello, I am a soon-to-be new Parrot owner and glad to join this site.
    I am concerned regarding the bar spacing of the cage i intend to order. It's bar-spacing is 5/8", which is not appropriate for the Sulphur-crested cockatoo i am going to get. However, if i only put in half of the bars, then the bar-spacing is 1.25", which is in the 3/4" - 1.5" area for acceptable bar spacings pertaining to large cockatoos. I was wondering is this is okay, and does not pose any potential threat to my bird. The cage in question is: https://www.amazon.com/Elegant-Wroug...mg_top?ie=UTF8. I would prefer that we fix the issue rather than purchase a new cage because I couldnt find a cage that served the same functions in the same price. Ive heard horrific stories of innapropriate bar spacings trapping their feet, wings, and other body parts; prompting the birds to suffer a heart attack or broken bones as they vigorously and panickingly attempt to free themselves.
    Thank you.

4. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-07-2018), Dragonlady2 (04-04-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Hi and welcome to the forum. Cockatoos are known for their ability to get out of their cages, squeezing bars etc. If your bird is going to spend a lot of time in the cage you may need to look into a stainless steel cage. I think the top opening may prove to be a problem. Potential for pinching toes. Bar spacing appears to be fine. When are you getting your cockatoo?

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-07-2018), Lady (04-07-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hi Jon,

Welcome to P. P.! We're glad you joined us . How cool you chose a cockatoo? Congratulations!! What made you decide on that specific species? I look forward to hearing all about him/her. Do you have a name for him or her?
    I would trust Draagonlady's answer she is very knowledgeable.

8. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-07-2018)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Hi Jon and welcome
    As Dragonlady Helena has recommended, if you do get that lovely cage, remove the catch from the top opening. Casper caught his foot in the one on his cage.
    Fortunately we were close by and were able to rescue him.
    Please post pics when your new bird has settled in
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

This post has saved me from so much frustration while cage shopping. I've been searching for a cage for a quaker but have found a lot of conflicting information about cage spacing on the internet. Most cages that are big enough (bigger the better) for a quaker have bar spacing of 1/2in or mixed spacing with 1/4 - 1/2 on the same cage. I'm so glad that is okay for a quaker because I would hate to put him/her into a cage that isn't safe. Thank you.

11. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-18-2018), Dragonlady2 (12-18-2018), Lady (12-23-2018)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Caspers cage came equipped with some very feeble typist's chair type castors that did not stand up to being dragged around the paths outside our house. When they were beyond repair I bought some very nice castors meant for hospital beds. The fixing bolts were a size larger which was good because the threads had failed in the cage legs so I just drilled and tapped to the larger size. Just saying in case you plan to go "off-roading"
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

13. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (12-23-2018), PlaxMacaws (12-19-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peepers View Post
    The size of the bird has to determine the size of the spacing of the bars in every cage.

A small bird like a finch/budgie/canary will be safe if its in a cage with bars that are spaced 1/2 inch apart or 3/8's apart like in the photo below.

This is to assure the bird won't get its head/feet/body stuck between the bars of the cage when it climbs the bars.

This cage is larger and has larger bar spacing 3/4 inch.

This size of bar spacing is good for larger parrots like a macaw or african grey or cockatoo as they need a larger spacing for their beaks and feet to fit as they climb their cages all the time.

This 3/4 inch size of bar spacing would be very bad for a small bird like a budgie or finch or canary, as any small bird might try to squeeze through the bars which could harm or kill the little bird.

Yeah you'r right The size of the bird has to determine the size of the spacing of the bars in every cage.