User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cage Bar Spacing Recommendations.

Cage Bar Spacing Recommendations.

Small Birds
    Finches, Canaries, Parrotlets, Parakeets, Lovebirds, Budgies, Cockatiels, Small Conures, & similar sized birds No More Than 5/8" (1.6 cm or 16 mm)

Medium Birds
    Conures, Lories, Senegals, Ring Necks, Caiques, Mini Macaws, Pionus, Quakers, Small Cockatoos, & similar sized birds 1/2" to 3/4" (1.3cm or 13 mm to 1.9cm or 19mm)

Large Birds
    African Greys, Amazons, Macaws, Cockatoos, Toucans, Hyacinth, Alexandrine Parakeets, Congos, Eclectus, & similar sized birds 3/4" to 1-1/4" (1.9cm or 19mm to 2.5 cm or 25 mm - 3.1cm or 31mm)

2. The following 4 users like this post:

CheTheBird (07-09-2018), Lady (08-12-2014), lolsavannahh (06-26-2016), Turquoise (08-11-2013)

Parrots

2 Male Catalina Macaws, Roscoe & Angel~1 Female Green Wing Macaw, Ruby Jewel~1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus, Leyla Belle~1 Female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Peta (R.I.P.)~1 White Capped Pionus, Sierra Sunrise~ 1 Rose Breasted Cockatoo, Dakota Nakira'Too~1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Serita Lynae, 10 Parakeets
    This is a great thread Wendy!

I have seen posts in the past asking about the proper bar spacing. This will be a good guide to make sure they are getting the proper cage for their feathered friend.
    ~~My Flock~~
    *In Loving Memory Of My Sweet Little Peta Girl~~R.I.P~~Love Mom*
    ~~Gotcha'~04/20/2012~~Flew Over The Rainbow Bridge~02/28/2014~~

4. The following user likes this post:

Honesty (08-11-2013)

Yes, I have seen this question asked many times, so thought it would e a good idea to post it here

I once got a tiel with a cage that had to big spacing for such a small bird. In fact, Lucy is now in that cage! I couldn't wait to get him in a cage with more appropriate size spacing.

7. The following user likes this post:

Honesty (08-11-2013)

hello guys
    im new to parrots but im not sure on what you mean by bar spacing of cages if anyone could pls help clarify
    thanks

Parrots

SPX the Super Duper Flying Freak Budgie and Mr Peepers the Not So Super Duper Flying Freak Canary
    Quote Originally Posted by nick View Post
    hello guys
    im new to parrots but im not sure on what you mean by bar spacing of cages if anyone could pls help clarify
    thanks

The size of the bird has to determine the size of the spacing of the bars in every cage.

A small bird like a finch/budgie/canary will be safe if its in a cage with bars that are spaced 1/2 inch apart or 3/8's apart like in the photo below.

This is to assure the bird won't get its head/feet/body stuck between the bars of the cage when it climbs the bars.

This cage is larger and has larger bar spacing 3/4 inch.

This size of bar spacing is good for larger parrots like a macaw or african grey or cockatoo as they need a larger spacing for their beaks and feet to fit as they climb their cages all the time.

This 3/4 inch size of bar spacing would be very bad for a small bird like a budgie or finch or canary, as any small bird might try to squeeze through the bars which could harm or kill the little bird.

Parrots

SPX the Super Duper Flying Freak Budgie and Mr Peepers the Not So Super Duper Flying Freak Canary
    When buying a cage for a bird, the rule is buy the biggest cage you can.

When it comes to housing a bird size is very very important as they will be living in the cage to sleep all night and for many hours during the day depending on your life style should you work or go to school.

The cage I showed you in the post above with 1/2 inch spacing or smaller for small birds is a horrible cage. I don't recommend this type of cage for finches canaries budgies etc.

Birds need to fly and exercise so a larger flight cage gives them this option which gives them exercise and helps keep the bird healthy and mentally happy.

So start putting your money aside, if you are hoping to get an african grey you will need a very large and strong cage to home such a strong larger bird.

11. The following user likes this post:

Lady (08-02-2015)

Thx Mr peppers I sort of understood ur point

13. The following user likes this post:

Mr Peepers (08-01-2015)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    So if 3/4 is larger than 5/8 would it be safe to get a cage for Lady that is 5/8?

Banned

Unless she has a tendency to snap welds...I don't see why not