User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Human illness passing onto parrots confusion

I have asthma and have had 2 different doctors tell me to get rid of my birds. I asked them if they would get rid of their children if their health were compromised. They said no and I told them that my birds were my children and I couldn't "get rid" of them. This past fall I had a bad time with my asthma and the subject of my birds came up again. I told them to give me a better inhaler and forget about my birds. That is what happened and I've not had any trouble since.

2. The following user likes this post:

plax (07-29-2013)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)

Human illness passing onto parrots confusion

I was thinking about this for the last couple days. I started with a nauseous stomach, headache, low fever and dizziness a few days ago. The next day I had a killer sore throat. None of this is normal for me. I get upper respiratory and chest colds, but thats about it. I figured with the way my throat felt it was probably strep and started antibiotics. (A full dose I had that I didn't use this fall). Once I started the antibiotics I pretty much stopped handling Rosie as much as possible for 24 hours. She was very upset to say the least.

I am handling her today as I took my 4th dose and she is pitiful. I am starting to feel better but not 100%.

My fear is that I may have passed something on to her before I realized it may be strep. As most of you know, Rosie is my constant sidekick. Even if we are just hanging out she will run over for a kiss (or 10) and then go back to what she was doing.

So now I am a nervous wreck that I may have gotten her sick. Not quite sure what to watch for, but I'm watching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rosie & Kendra

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    I was going to suggest you wear a face mask (like nurses do) but that might make Rosie want to investigate it. Its probably past incubation period now, anyway.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

5. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-17-2017), kendrafitz (03-17-2017), Quakerella (03-17-2017)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    I was going to suggest you wear a face mask (like nurses do) but that might make Rosie want to investigate it. Its probably past incubation period now, anyway.
    Yes, you've got Rosie's number. A face mask would not stand. It would have to be immediately and roughly removed. I am guessing I would get a good pinch for having the audacity to wear it as well.

Rosie & Kendra

7. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-17-2017), Dragonlady2 (03-17-2017), Quakerella (03-17-2017)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Hopefully Rosie will be fine. The pathogen afflicting your system may pose no threat to birds. And even if it does, Rosie's immune system may be stronger than yours. After a few days with no signs of Rosie becoming ill, I'm sure you'll rest much easier.

I hope your symptoms fade and that you will be feeling lots better very soon, Kendra.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

9. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-17-2017), kendrafitz (03-18-2017), Lady (03-18-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    So sorry to hear you are not well Kendra, get better soon.

This may help. From my understanding(which is sometimes questionable) it can not be passed on by mouth, but needs to get into the blood stream.
    http://www.melbournebirdvet.com/stre...-in-birds.aspx

11. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-17-2017), kendrafitz (03-18-2017), Lady (03-18-2017), PlaxMacaws (03-17-2017)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Quakerella View Post
    So sorry to hear you are not well Kendra, get better soon.

This may help. From my understanding(which is sometimes questionable) it can not be passed on by mouth, but needs to get into the blood stream.
    http://www.melbournebirdvet.com/stre...-in-birds.aspx
    Thank you for the link. And the reassurance. I will just keep an eye on her.

I am feeling much better, thank you. I caught it quickly so I recovered quickly.

Rosie & Kendra

13. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-19-2017), Lady (03-19-2017), Quakerella (03-20-2017)