User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Messy?

Parrots

Punky (Galah), Skittles (Rainbow Lorikeet), Mia (Sun Conure), Max (Green Cheek Conure), Tonks (Cockatiel), Tessa (Cockatiel), Lola (Budgie), Sid (Lovebird), Aussie (Lovebird), Johnny (Lovebird)
    Ahh you guys are just making me want one even more! Lol... Before I got my current Fids, the idea of the mess really did put me off, but now that I've got the others and I'm already spending half my days cleaning up after them, surely cleaning up after a lorikeet wouldn't be too much more work right? :P

Haha I'm banned from getting any more birds right now (by my partner), but at least I know now what I'm gonna get when I am allowed

2. The following 2 users like this post:

coltfire (07-02-2013), Pinkbirdy (07-02-2013)

Parrots

Lola (Cuban Amazon), Lucifer (Black Headed Caique), Crush (Sun Conure), Zoe (Black Headed Caique), Scarlet (Scarlet Macaw)
    there are some newer diets available that will cut down, but not eliminate, the runny poops. There are ways to contain the mess around the cage. But with a high sugar semi liquid diet, hygiene is vital. Feeding is a 2 step process (feeding and removing) that takes place several times a day to avoid spoilage. If the lorry does decide that someone is not to its liking, there will be no doubt about it: their aim is amazing. Having said all of that, I absolutely loved my time with my lories and wouldn't hesitate to have another.

4. The following 2 users like this post:

kendrafitz (01-02-2014), tonkatiel (01-03-2014)

Parrots

Punky (Galah), Skittles (Rainbow Lorikeet), Mia (Sun Conure), Max (Green Cheek Conure), Tonks (Cockatiel), Tessa (Cockatiel), Lola (Budgie), Sid (Lovebird), Aussie (Lovebird), Johnny (Lovebird)
    Well since I wrote this I do now have a rainbow lorikeet and yes he is definitely messy! In saying that though, I have a shower curtain on the back and side of his cage (the sides that are facing the wall) and that has helped a LOT with the cleaning! He has dry food available at all times and wet mix only for an hour or 2 in the mornings... With the other birds I give the bottom grate/tray a quick wipe every day and a proper clean once a week - Skittles cage needs a proper clean every day otherwise it just gets too hard to clean off!
    I don't regret getting him in any way, shape or form though! He's a complete clown and has been nicknamed our 'ADHD bird' because he never stops! My partner adores him and has said that he'd more than happily fill the whole house with loris (he doesnt do the cleaning though!) - as far as he's concerned Skittles has more personality than the rest of the birds put together and he has the added bonus of he doesn't cover the house in seed and pellets

6. The following user likes this post:

kendrafitz (01-03-2014)

Parrots

Umbrella cockatoo,Goffins Cockatoo, 2 red lored amazons, blue fronted amazon, 3 black capped conures, 4 green cheek conures, 16+/- american and english budgies and babies (linneolated parakeets, parrotlets, crimson bellied conures, budgies, green cheek conures at any given time)
    I was just coming to say, make sure you invest in some shower curtains but it looks like you beat me to it! I also wanted to say though, if you don't do this already, bee pollen granules make a great training treat for lories! They love them
    Feel Free to Friend me on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/feathersfirstaviary

8. The following user likes this post:

tonkatiel (01-03-2014)

Parrots

I had heard that, but I'm having trouble finding any fresh corn kernals seem to work really well with Skittles and luckily they're very much readily available lol

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

We need a picture of him! He sounds great.

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    Skittles sounds awesome (despite the mess)!! Would love to see pics.

I know very little about lories. There is a black baby at BP, or was last time I was there. He/she is very smart, very energetic, super interactive and funny as anything. I had no idea how great they are!! Tons of personality in that little body.
    Rosie & Kendra

Parrots

Lol ok here's some photos, not the best quality (very dark) but they're all I have on my phone right now...

Last edited by tonkatiel; 01-04-2014 at 12:48 AM.

13. The following user likes this post:

plax (01-04-2014)

Parrots

Above are all fairly recent pics, below is one from not long after I got him and he decided to dive in his waterbowl for the first time lol...

15. The following user likes this post:

plax (01-04-2014)

Parrots

Kendra, a black lori is one of my (many) dream birds! They're quite expensive and pretty rare over here though