User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Messy?

Parrots

Punky (Galah), Skittles (Rainbow Lorikeet), Mia (Sun Conure), Max (Green Cheek Conure), Tonks (Cockatiel), Tessa (Cockatiel), Lola (Budgie), Sid (Lovebird), Aussie (Lovebird), Johnny (Lovebird)

Messy?

So I need to know - are Lorikeets really as messy as people say??

From a young age I have always LOVED rainbow lorikeets - more for there looks than anything else, but eventually for there personalities as well... When it came time for me to decide which birdie I wanted to have though, I found out they are very messy which of course did put me off a bit...
    I visited a friend of a friend yesterday who has one and oh my! He was absolutely gorgeous!!!! When I asked her about the mess, she straight away said that it's disgusting the amount of mess he makes, and that he's a 'nippy little s#@!' (he didn't nip me at all, let me give him head scritches and danced a lot lol)... She didn't come across as a very loving parront though, so I thought I'd ask people who actually like there birds the other thing with this lady is this is the only bird shes ever had, so yes her lorikeet is probably messy, but how much worse is it than normal bird mess?

2. The following user likes this post:

coltfire (07-02-2013)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    I know nothing of Lorikeets but I couldn't imagine anything being messier than a cockatoo! Birds were not meant to live in homes where people are concerned about cleanliness, bummer! I think that if we take on a bird, we deal with their messiness. . Ok, that didn't come out right. Birds didn't evolve to someday be a pet in a home, I don't believe. This is more along my lines of thinking!
    Last edited by Mare; 06-30-2013 at 06:05 AM.

4. The following user likes this post:

tonkatiel (07-02-2013)

Parrots

TAG: Spirit, Senegal: Damon, Blue & Gold: Paris, Parrotlet: Opal, CAG :Boomer, Quaker: Widget and at a foster parents RLA: Danny. :D
    Oh yes they are messy. Think slung sugar every where and vary wet projectile poops the can and will be aimed at people/pets they do not like. That being said if you can deal with it they are supper sweet non nippy birds that love to go to every one. This is one reason they are used so much in parks in different areas of the country. People can go in and pay for a cup of food and the birds will happily come to them and hang of of complete strangers.
    “She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.” ― Mark Twain

6. The following 2 users like this post:

kendrafitz (01-02-2014), tonkatiel (07-02-2013)

Parrots

2 Male Catalina Macaws, Roscoe & Angel~1 Female Green Wing Macaw, Ruby Jewel~1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus, Leyla Belle~1 Female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Peta (R.I.P.)~1 White Capped Pionus, Sierra Sunrise~ 1 Rose Breasted Cockatoo, Dakota Nakira'Too~1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Serita Lynae, 10 Parakeets
    I have never owned one either, but like you I have read & heard they are very messy. Given their food they eat I can imagine the amount of cleanup it can cause. I think they are gorgeous! If I didn't work, I'd be more inclined to keep one & not worry about how much time it took to cleanup everyday.

I got to see lots of them when we visited the San Antonio zoo in South Texas while we were waiting for my Catalina macaw breeder to get to town when my boys were to come home with me. The S.A. zoo has a great many birds of all kinds, parrots included and some Amazons & macaws living free among the trees throughout the place.
    ~~My Flock~~
    *In Loving Memory Of My Sweet Little Peta Girl~~R.I.P~~Love Mom*
    ~~Gotcha'~04/20/2012~~Flew Over The Rainbow Bridge~02/28/2014~~

8. The following user likes this post:

tonkatiel (07-02-2013)

I have heard they are very messy birds, but do not actually know anyone that has one!

10. The following user likes this post:

tonkatiel (07-02-2013)

I have no advice as I have no experience with them. I do think they are beautiful however.

12. The following user likes this post:

tonkatiel (07-02-2013)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Catalina Macaw - Harlow, Blue & Gold Macaw - Rocky, Greenwing Macaw - Ruby, Bluefront Amazon - Tequila, Hawkhead - Charlotte, 2 Blk hd Caiques - Sammy, Greta, Yellow streaked Lory - Louie, LesserSulpher 2 - Belly, Sunconure - Gingee, Yellow sided Greencheek - Disco, Goffin - Pearl, Rosebreasted 2 - Owen
    Ill tell you about my Lory. His beak is shaped different [so it doesn't hurt at all] .Ive heard before Rainbows [hurt more] .Hes aggressive towards all my other birds [but hes male ] I hear the females are better. Louie is very smart though,does tricks ,talks in sentences,sticks his tongue in my ear and likes everyone in the family. I use a pressure washer to really wash his cage . Every thing does get sticky .Louie is a Yellow steak lory. Ive seen these guys that are called "perfect lorys" Their a riot [check them out]

14. The following 8 users like this post:

aliray (07-01-2013), coltfire (07-02-2013), Debra (07-01-2013), kendrafitz (01-02-2014), Mare (07-06-2013), ShellyBorg (07-01-2013), tonkatiel (07-02-2013), Turquoise (07-01-2013)

Terri, he's beautiful! I've never seen one before.

16. The following user likes this post:

Pinkbirdy (07-01-2013)

Parrots

Tiki,african redbellied, Sweetie Pie quaker, Chiquita, yellow sided gcc, Lucas, spanish timbrado canary
    Gorgeous bird

18. The following user likes this post:

Pinkbirdy (07-01-2013)

Parrots

eclectus x 4, cockatiels x4, lories x2, budgies x26 and babies all year round of all my birds
    lorries dont poop they squirt, yes they are messy but very easy to train to poop in one spot, and there personality out ways the mess any day, they are such fun birds

20. The following 2 users like this post:

Pinkbirdy (07-01-2013), tonkatiel (07-02-2013)