User Tag List

Thread: CPR for birds

CPR for birds

I hope no one ever has to use it but I thought this to be informative and hopefully can help save the lives of our little ones.

http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/how-t...cpr-to-a-bird/

2. The following 3 users like this post:

aliray (06-25-2013), Lady (08-21-2014), Turquoise (06-25-2013)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Good information, thanks Deb

Parrots

2 Male Catalina Macaws, Roscoe & Angel~1 Female Green Wing Macaw, Ruby Jewel~1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus, Leyla Belle~1 Female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Peta (R.I.P.)~1 White Capped Pionus, Sierra Sunrise~ 1 Rose Breasted Cockatoo, Dakota Nakira'Too~1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Serita Lynae, 10 Parakeets
    My Goodness Debra! That is absolutely awesome!! Thank you for sharing this with us. It is definitely something we all need to know how to do & can't find in any of the parrot books I have here at home. At least I can't remember reading this in any.

I have to go to classes once a year which is called in-service to be able to keep my job. We go through a course of CPR training for humans, so I at least know the basics in resuscitation. The amount of pressure & fingers used is very important to remember along with the breathes for a bird I can see. It is way different that for humans of course.

I have in years past tried to resuscitate my 12 yr. old Pekingese who fell over dead before my eyes and I have tried to resuscitate some of the baby rabbits my spoo has hurt to no avail. But you wouldn't believe the only critter I was ever able to bring back to life after it couldn't breathe while I was hand feeding it, was a baby Chinese Dragon lizard. The manager of PetsMart knew I kept all kinds of animals, so she called me one day explaining a customer had brought back a baby lizard they had previously bought from them. The customer said the lizard was sick and they didn't want it. She wanted to know if I would take it & try to get it to live as her supervisor told her they could not keep it with the others if it was sick.

I took the baby lizard in and figured it had an upper respiratory infection by the symptoms it was displaying. I took it to get meds & I had to hand feed it a liquid diet. I got a little too much in its mouth with the tiny eye dropper and it aspirated. I quickly took a cotton swab & scraped what I could out of its mouth, turned it upside down & got a little more out. Then I began gently thumping its chest and blew into its mouth. To my surprise it started to move & came back to life. Unfortunately it did not make it over the respiratory infection and died a couple of weeks later.
    Last edited by Turquoise; 06-25-2013 at 01:58 PM.
    ~~My Flock~~
    *In Loving Memory Of My Sweet Little Peta Girl~~R.I.P~~Love Mom*
    ~~Gotcha'~04/20/2012~~Flew Over The Rainbow Bridge~02/28/2014~~

This link Debra. Lets hope no-one ever needs to use it!

Parrots

eclectus x 4, cockatiels x4, lories x2, budgies x26 and babies all year round of all my birds
    great link, the best thing i have is a stethoscope, and had to use it not long ago when i had to resus a baby budgie,, the stethoscope came in handy.