User Tag List

Thread: Julio is out of quaarantine

Parrots

Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched Aug 12, 2012

Julio is out of quaarantine

Yesterday Lupe and moved Julio's cage from my upstairs office to downstairs to be by Valentino. I am so happy he is finally going to be around another parrot. Although Julio got a lot of attention up here and was not alone very much we had a set back with him clipping ALL his feathers on his tail and wings. He looked like a cornish game hen ready for the crock pot. It didn't help Lupe was sick and didn't spend any time in the office with Julio for two days. Even though I kept to my schedule with Julio he still clipped his feathers. Julio had chosen Lupe has "his" person. For the first time ever I live with a parrot that does not like me. I feel in time he may turn around for me but for now I am taking it really slow with him. I also hope that with being around Valentino and watching me interact with him and during his training session Julio will see that I am not such a bad person. I also hope by him being able to watch Valentino inhale his fresh food mix Julio won't be so scared of the colorful wonderful smelling food. Other than my Eclectus Joaquin I never seen a parrot love sprouts as much as Valentino. Maybe Julio thinks they are scary things.

Here is a picture of Julio after the clipping. I put him to bed the night before and he was normal. I woke up to him looking like this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2382.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	883

I hope we can get his feathers growing back soon but at this point I will have to wait for the moult and he just finished his moult.
    Mihijo - Noble macaw - 2/27/95 to 10/07/2012
    Diego - Illiger's macaw - 5/16/2002 to 6/08/2011
    Joaquin - Solomon Island Eclectus - 1/17/2001 to 12/23/2005

May all my boys RIP
    Fly free until I can see you all again

Julio - Noble macaw went back to his rescue 4/12/14

2. The following 2 users like this post:

ShellyBorg (06-25-2013), Turquoise (06-25-2013)

Parrots

Quincy CAG Hatched 03/2000 Gotcha @ 3 months old ~ Savannah GW Macaw Hatched 06/1993 Gotcha 4/2013 ~ Coqui B&G Macaw Hatched 09/2003 Gotcha 10/2013 ~ Sidney Blue Crown Conure Gotcha Day 06/2015 Hatch Date Guess 06/2010.
    Well I'm glad to hear Julio can now join Valentino downstairs. So sorry to hear about Julio clipping. Poor baby.

At least he is in good hands now.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

"Nothing that matters comes easy, and nothing easy ever really matters." ~ Lyrics From Ordinary Girl By Rick Springfield

Nobility Member

Parrots

Catalina Macaw - Harlow, Blue & Gold Macaw - Rocky, Greenwing Macaw - Ruby, Bluefront Amazon - Tequila, Hawkhead - Charlotte, 2 Blk hd Caiques - Sammy, Greta, Yellow streaked Lory - Louie, LesserSulpher 2 - Belly, Sunconure - Gingee, Yellow sided Greencheek - Disco, Goffin - Pearl, Rosebreasted 2 - Owen
    Im sure Valentino will like having a buddy. Birds not liking others in my house has happened too. But don't give up, you just have to win them over [it may take a long time] it can be done. Things might change once he starts seeing you interact with Valentino.

Parrots

2 Male Catalina Macaws, Roscoe & Angel~1 Female Green Wing Macaw, Ruby Jewel~1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus, Leyla Belle~1 Female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Peta (R.I.P.)~1 White Capped Pionus, Sierra Sunrise~ 1 Rose Breasted Cockatoo, Dakota Nakira'Too~1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Serita Lynae, 10 Parakeets
    Awwww, Julio is adorable even with his bare fanny showing. All he needs is to continue feeling the love you & Lupe are already showering him & Valentino with. I bet Julio will come around to liking you & hopefully he will tone the barbering of his feathers once he realizes he is there to stay and is part of your flock.

Maybe he needs a birdie jacket to cover the bare spots. I know that sounds silly, but I have read about some birds who are pluckers & self mutilators loving to wear jackets or T-shirts.Then again I have read many who did not & it didn't help alleviate the plucking.
    ~~My Flock~~
    *In Loving Memory Of My Sweet Little Peta Girl~~R.I.P~~Love Mom*
    ~~Gotcha'~04/20/2012~~Flew Over The Rainbow Bridge~02/28/2014~~

6. The following user likes this post:

Pinkbirdy (06-25-2013)

I agree. He is a cutie even with his bare fanny showing. I'm sure he'll come around now that he's with another bird and can become more a member of the flock.

8. The following user likes this post:

Turquoise (06-25-2013)