User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We got our harness!

Parrots

Green Quaker- Cooper

We got our harness!

just starting a thread to show my progress with cooper and his new harness! I have an x-small aviator harness. I just received it today. the video it comes with is VERY informational. it helps a lot. so far cooper is not afraid of the harness at all, which surprised me haha. but he is thinking of it as a toy and wants to keep chewing on it. and I don't need him chewing it off while we are outside! that wouldn't end well. when I get it on him ill post a pic of him wearing it and then some of him outside exploring!

PS: if you have any ideas on how to get him to stop chewing, they are all welcome.

2. The following user likes this post:

Turquoise (06-19-2013)

Look forward to seeing the video's Kenny

Parrots

Green Quaker- Cooper
    i got it on cooper, with some definate resistance. he would not stop chewing at all though. i was afraid he would damage it so i took it off. how can i stop him from chewing on it??????!!!!!!!

Parrots

Green Quaker- Cooper
    okay after a bit more time things only have gotten worse. he is getting more afraid the more he is near it. i dont know why. i read for 5 hours total about how to harness train and doing exactly what they say but nothing works. i mean NOTHING works. at this point im just ready to give up. i have no clue what else to do. nothing i have read over the past year about bird training has worked. if anything it is making it worse.... im at the end of my patience..

Parrots

Josie - B&G macaw
    I'm still working on the chewing a little with Josie, so here is what I've come up with so far. The first thing to not is that if he does damage it, you can email the company and they will send you a new one for $18 (Josie's are xlarge so I'm not sure if the price will be different for the smaller one). After doing this twice, I knew where the problem areas were, so the company re-enforced another new harness for me for $18. Now, after all that, I read on a thread here about covering cotton perches with vet tape and now, I've got the re-enforced harness with vet tape over the bothersome areas for her. So far, so good. I think the best thing for her is distraction....food, toys, whatever. I will also, gently move her beak away from what she is trying to chew and tell her no. I hope some of this is helpful to you. Good luck with it...it really is worth it once they get into it.

7. The following user likes this post:

Turquoise (06-19-2013)

Parrots

Green Quaker- Cooper
    its not even like it just bothers him. he is chewing on it like its a toy. i put it near him to get used to it and he ran over and chewed on it.... i dont know how to get him to stop?!?!?

Parrots

White bellied caique named Meiko :)
    Just be patient. Keep it near the cage, but don't let him chew on it. Also, this process might take weeks, so don't give up the first day. Maybe put it near him and offer a foot toy to play with and reward him with treats or whatever motivates him every time he chooses the toy instead of the harness. Do this until he can sit there with the harness next to him or even touching him without chewing it. It'll take time and patience, but I know you can do it!! Once he can do that, give it a few more days before you try to put it on him again.

10. The following user likes this post:

Turquoise (06-19-2013)

Parrots

2 Male Catalina Macaws, Roscoe & Angel~1 Female Green Wing Macaw, Ruby Jewel~1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus, Leyla Belle~1 Female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Peta (R.I.P.)~1 White Capped Pionus, Sierra Sunrise~ 1 Rose Breasted Cockatoo, Dakota Nakira'Too~1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Serita Lynae, 10 Parakeets
    Anita & JadeC have given you very good advice Kenny. I wished I had a solution for you as well. Roscoe let me put his on him with not a speck of trouble or chewing twice before he reached a year old. Then fall & winter set in & I didn't keep the training up. Now he will wear the wing parts,, no problem, but like Cooper, Roscoe tries to chew the head part up beforecI can get it past his busy beak.

l think if you keep up the training and go slowly like was suggested you will achieve your goal of Cooper wearing his harness. And I like the idea Anita had on wrapping it with vet tape in the vunerable chew areas.
    ~~My Flock~~
    *In Loving Memory Of My Sweet Little Peta Girl~~R.I.P~~Love Mom*
    ~~Gotcha'~04/20/2012~~Flew Over The Rainbow Bridge~02/28/2014~~

Parrots

Josie - B&G macaw
    I forgot to mention how I get the harness over her head which may be helpful. I lay the harness out on the floor and then put her on her back where I need her so that I can just slip it over her head. Goes so much easier that her being perched and me trying from in front of her. I hope this helps.

Parrots

Quincy CAG Hatched 03/2000 Gotcha @ 3 months old ~ Savannah GW Macaw Hatched 06/1993 Gotcha 4/2013 ~ Coqui B&G Macaw Hatched 09/2003 Gotcha 10/2013 ~ Sidney Blue Crown Conure Gotcha Day 06/2015 Hatch Date Guess 06/2010.
    Try not to get discouraged Kenny. Just take your time and most of all be patient with Cooper. I think you may have done too much too soon. Start from the beginning like the video showed you and slowly get him used to it. I distract Savannah when she tries to chew it. Anyway, I hope you haven't given up and are still trying to get him adjusted. Good luck!

"Nothing that matters comes easy, and nothing easy ever really matters." ~ Lyrics From Ordinary Girl By Rick Springfield