User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How we teach parrots to fly outside???

Dave and Chet Womach actually stole and are selling stolen material. Theyre thieves and bad people.

They are bad people.

2. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (06-23-2013), Turquoise (06-23-2013)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Yep! I have to agree. Every time I get an email from them, it has something to do with my concerns on something that I had posted. Weird?! Coincidence?!

4. The following user likes this post:

Turquoise (06-23-2013)

Parrots

2 Male Catalina Macaws, Roscoe & Angel~1 Female Green Wing Macaw, Ruby Jewel~1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus, Leyla Belle~1 Female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Peta (R.I.P.)~1 White Capped Pionus, Sierra Sunrise~ 1 Rose Breasted Cockatoo, Dakota Nakira'Too~1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Serita Lynae, 10 Parakeets
    I read something recently on another forum about them & their not so honest business. I didn't really like their DVD I got from them when I first got back into keeping parrots again. It did nothing to help me with learning to be a better parront. If I'd known about them then, I would never have wasted my money on it.

Thanks Bokka for sharing this with us. This needs to be said plenty of times to warn new people to not buy the videos or at least check them out before deciding if they want to give them their money.
    ~~My Flock~~
    *In Loving Memory Of My Sweet Little Peta Girl~~R.I.P~~Love Mom*
    ~~Gotcha'~04/20/2012~~Flew Over The Rainbow Bridge~02/28/2014~~

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Quote Originally Posted by ShellyBorg View Post
    I was at a park where they where free flying birds here in CA. It was amazing to watch, but the horror stories some of the trainers told about losing there birds really makes you think twice. One guy lost a Hyacinth to a lose dog that caught his boy on the wing! The bird was flying into a recall when this dog ran out of the parking lot and jumped a good 6 feet up to grab the bird by the wing. Before he or the dog owner could reach them, the dog shook the macaw to death. The dog owner was beside her self. She never saw the bird and the dog had jumped over her shoulder and out the drives window as soon as she had stopped. She never had time to grab her dog or stop what happened.
    That's about the most devastating thing I can imagine! Reading your post brought a tear to my eye and makes me question the worth-of-risk factor of outside free flight training for any parrot guardian. Some may consider the Hyacinth tragedy an isolated incident. Be that as it may, there are often a great many potentially deadly dogs in and around open public areas. I'm unable to purge the horrible mental imagery from my mind now

Parrots

TAG: Spirit, Senegal: Damon, Blue & Gold: Paris, Parrotlet: Opal, CAG :Boomer, Quaker: Widget and at a foster parents RLA: Danny. :D
    Sorry Plax So often people see free flighted birds and are all for it. If any one makes the decision to free flight they need to now the risks. Even a flock of black birds or starlings can chase a bird off, never to be recovered.
    “She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.” ― Mark Twain

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Quote Originally Posted by ShellyBorg View Post
    Sorry Plax So often people see free flighted birds and are all for it. If any one makes the decision to free flight they need to now the risks.
    Yes. And it's they (the people) who are assuming the risks for and upon the pet birds... the birds have limited to no awareness about many of the dangers involved and are virtually unable to opt out

Parrots

TAG: Cookie- female 30ish CAG: Kiwi- Male July 2004 CAG: Alice-Female August 2011 Alexis- Female June 20, 2012
    I love to see Amigo and think he is awesome. I could never free fly with my guys as I just don't have anywhere safe and I don't think they could handle it. Well they can free fly in my house. You should post more pictures, I just always look at yours several times because it is so awesome. I have never looked into birdtricks because i had heard they were kind of shady so I am glad I didn't after reading this.

10. The following user likes this post:

Mare (06-26-2013)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Amanda, not everyone has the semi-safe outdoor space to do this. Space where you know your bird isn't going to get hit by a car or taken down by a dog and these places are hard to find. There are all kinds of dangers for a free flying bird regardless of where you are. There ARE risks and although many would disagree with me, these are the risks I'm willing to take to allow my beloved bird his freedom to be what he was born to be, (somewhat, anyway). I am not advocating outdoor free flight and most birds would not be a candidate for this, Amigo was and so, is.

12. The following user likes this post:

ShellyBorg (06-26-2013)

Parrots

TAG: Spirit, Senegal: Damon, Blue & Gold: Paris, Parrotlet: Opal, CAG :Boomer, Quaker: Widget and at a foster parents RLA: Danny. :D
    Mare I think it amazing that you can allow him the freedom. Most of the tragic stories I have heard is where people take there bird to a unknown area.
    “She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.” ― Mark Twain

14. The following user likes this post:

Mare (06-26-2013)

Nobility Member

Parrots

This is so true, Shelly! I would have a real hard time cutting Amigo loose in an area that he was unfamiliar with.

16. The following user likes this post:

ShellyBorg (06-27-2013)