User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How we teach parrots to fly outside???

Parrots

Scarlet Macaw
    To me I would never free fly my bird outside. Even if your bird is seriously bonded to you all it takes is something that comes by and scares it and you've lost your friend. I would rather use a very long tether and have my bird safe

2. The following user likes this post:

Mare (09-09-2014)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Hi Luthien, it takes more than a bond..it takes a confidence that you know your bird well enough, it takes guts (not only on your part but your bird's) and it takes a whole lot of luck on that particular day .

I understand your fear and most pet birds aren't cut out for this.

This IS what they were born to do, fly, fly freely. Unfortunately, not always.
    Last edited by Mare; 09-09-2014 at 05:56 AM.

4. The following user likes this post:

kendrafitz (09-10-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Bokkapooh View Post
    Dave and Chet Womach actually stole and are selling stolen material. Theyre thieves and bad people.

They are bad people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mare View Post
    I checked my email today and Bird Tricks sent me this post, "How we teach parrots to fly outside". I have seen so many posts about how easy it is to free fly your bird and so many are pictured where there are NO trees, not even a bush and it's a no brainer that your bird is going to land on the highest thing around!

I have a hard time with this kind of training. I'm no professional but in my experience your bird better be bonded to you, if not, you are taking a bigger chance, a huge risk of losing your bird. I agree with recall training, to me it means a bonding experience and that is safer than anything, in my opinion.

What I think of Birdtricks

On birdtricks.com and bozos
    Warmest regards

Shanlung
    山 龍

http://shanlung.com/

6. The following user likes this post:

Mare (10-21-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Lineated Parakeet named Kobe (M) and (F) named Tango Maine Coon Kitty named Christine
    Thought some of you may be interested in reading this article. http://www.parrots.org/ask-an-expert...n-african-grey

Most especially this statement: To teach free flying in the outdoors requires a very skilled, and experienced, trainer who has a mentor to help them along. Even then, in most situations birds are trained indoors or in a netted enclosure before ever setting wing outside.

Lets say we have a person who is new to birds and wants that bird to fly outside. Mare and Shanlung what would your advice be?

Last edited by spiritbird; 10-20-2015 at 01:26 PM.

8. The following user likes this post:

Mare (10-21-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Nobody trained me to fly my bird, no one except Amigo. If you don't feel it..don't do it. That's the only advice I have.

10. The following user likes this post:

spiritbird (10-21-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by spiritbird View Post
    Thought some of you may be interested in reading this article. http://www.parrots.org/ask-an-expert...n-african-grey

Most especially this statement: To teach free flying in the outdoors requires a very skilled, and experienced, trainer who has a mentor to help them along. Even then, in most situations birds are trained indoors or in a netted enclosure before ever setting wing outside.

Lets say we have a person who is new to birds and wants that bird to fly outside. Mare and Shanlung what would your advice be?

A person new to birds?
    and want the bird to fly outside?

So scary that I shudder to think of that. That person should focus on getting the bird to live with himself/herself first in healthy environment.
    That person has not even reached the first base as the rest of you folks here. In that you folks rather die than to risk the loss of your birdie.
    When that person got to that stage, then I can talk a bit more. If that person want something that fly outside and return to him/her, get a drone which is very much cheaper and easier to manage.

I went to the link you mentioned above. I know most of those key speakers. I like to think that they know me too even if I think of myself just a student with more to learn than myself being an expert with nothing more to learn.

The problem with going to experts for their guidance is that once they been through a course, they think they know it all and know more of you and your bird even though ALL birds are unigue with different temperaments.
    And so with their caregivers.

It is like knowing to make money from stocks and shares will be to buy low and sell high, and sending those that attend those financial stockmarket courses to do just that.
    While what the course so called teaches can be true, the real world can be very different.

By going to those courses, you relinquish your knowledge of your particular birdie to their knowledge , as if they know more than you on your own birdie. And come on, flying indoors and netted enclosure cannot even approximate outdoors at all, unless the netted enclosure is humongous. I wrote in some details of what I had done. Doing that in indoors and netted enclosure is like swimming in a swimming pool as compared to swimming in the sea with waves and tidal surges that cannot even be approximated. A swimmer who can swim in a swimming pool would have died in waves and currents. I think I wrote clearly in the thread I started as to my footsteps by footsteps that I taken.

None of that taught to me or mentored to me other than my deciding to prepare my birdie to meet and face all outside challenges prior to free flights.
    And I like Mare used the most important teacher. The very birdie him/herself and not an external third party who having been through a course know all about you and your birdie.

One other aspect is that I have a mental connection with the birdie. I cannot even prove that to my wife so it is ok if you all do not accept that.

Everytime before I do a recall outside (or inside) , I had a strong mental image of the bird launching off and flying to me. My wife laughed at that and demanded I prove that.
    So I told her that I would do that mental recall and Riam flew to me from her . She then said Riam was going to do that anyway.

So I decided I needed to show some sign as to when the recall was made.
    I then told her I would raise the right thumb to show her when I made that mental recall and then my wife said it was the sudden lifting of the thumb that got Riam to fly to me.
    I then told her I raise the left last finger to show her when I made that mental recall and then my wife said it was the lifting of that last finger that got Riam to fly to me.

I did the only possible thing which was to tell my wife "yes dear" and reverted to using voice as well to call Riam.

The most important teacher is your birdie.
    Not anyone or any organisation that tell you otherwise.
    By all means, listen to what they got to say. But if they say their rules are the only rules and that you must listen only to them and that they can give you the only road to the Promised Land , my advise will be to walk away as fast as you can.

All that said, Mare and I and those on that list like Steve Martin and Pamela and Chris not the only one that fly the birdies outside. There are many others.
    I think I was the catalyst for many of them especially in Taiwan where for years thousands see me with Tinkerbell during a time in early 2000 where almost all parrots were kept clipped.
    I told them to listen to their birdies. They did. When I find those videos, I will place them in the thread I started. People in other countries such as Thailand and Indonesia as well.
    Of which many of them being to my site and webpages. In fact, much more non English speakers been to my pages then people from English speaking world, about twice or three times as many.

Never mind about the rest of you. I think even Mare will be stunned.
    Warmest regards

Shanlung
    山 龍

http://shanlung.com/

12. The following user likes this post:

Mare (10-27-2015)

Parrots

1 Umbrella Cockatoo
    I allow Tia free-flight indoors only. I would never think of her free flying outdoors. Where I live there is a breeding pair of Redtail hawks, and see a falcon or two every day. I have seen the falcon appear out of thin air, to snatch a dove. I have to keep reminding my elderly mom every time she comes to visit with her Cockatiel, not to be outdoors with her bird.

14. The following user likes this post:

Mare (10-27-2015)

Nobility Member

Parrots

No doubt about it, free flying your bird outside..is SCARY!