User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How we teach parrots to fly outside???

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!

How we teach parrots to fly outside???

I checked my email today and Bird Tricks sent me this post, "How we teach parrots to fly outside". I have seen so many posts about how easy it is to free fly your bird and so many are pictured where there are NO trees, not even a bush and it's a no brainer that your bird is going to land on the highest thing around!

I have a hard time with this kind of training. I'm no professional but in my experience your bird better be bonded to you, if not, you are taking a bigger chance, a huge risk of losing your bird. I agree with recall training, to me it means a bonding experience and that is safer than anything, in my opinion.
    Last edited by Mare; 06-18-2013 at 12:26 AM.

2. The following 3 users like this post:

Honesty (06-19-2013), ShellyBorg (06-20-2013), Turquoise (06-19-2013)

Parrots

2 Male Catalina Macaws, Roscoe & Angel~1 Female Green Wing Macaw, Ruby Jewel~1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus, Leyla Belle~1 Female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Peta (R.I.P.)~1 White Capped Pionus, Sierra Sunrise~ 1 Rose Breasted Cockatoo, Dakota Nakira'Too~1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Serita Lynae, 10 Parakeets
    I agree with you completely Mare and you have certainly proved you have what it takes with Amigo. You can tell he is totally bonded to you in the photos of him flying back home I have seen.

I have watched some of Bird Tricks videos & read some of their article, but I was not impressed with them to some degree. It just wasn't what I was looking for in advice & help when I first got my macaws.

Although I do have two macaws who I will never have to worry about losing when taking them outside, I'd love to one day be able to take Roscoe out and free fly him. He is very bonded to me now, but he is still way too young & full of himself to be trusted that much yet. In a few years after he gets the terrible twos & raging hormones out of hid system, I will think seriously about working with him on free flying. Until then I will enjoy Amigo & his free flight stories!
    ~~My Flock~~
    *In Loving Memory Of My Sweet Little Peta Girl~~R.I.P~~Love Mom*
    ~~Gotcha'~04/20/2012~~Flew Over The Rainbow Bridge~02/28/2014~~

Parrots

Quincy CAG Hatched 03/2000 Gotcha @ 3 months old ~ Savannah GW Macaw Hatched 06/1993 Gotcha 4/2013 ~ Coqui B&G Macaw Hatched 09/2003 Gotcha 10/2013 ~ Sidney Blue Crown Conure Gotcha Day 06/2015 Hatch Date Guess 06/2010.
    I agree Mare! You really need to know your bird and be very bonded before attempting anything like this!

"Nothing that matters comes easy, and nothing easy ever really matters." ~ Lyrics From Ordinary Girl By Rick Springfield

We love hearing your stories about Amigo If I took Codie outside, he would be off in a jiffy

The bond that you and Amigo have is fantastic

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    I guess I was just venting, thanks for listening. . Free flight shouldn't be taken lightly and it SHOULD scare you! You could easily lose your bird, I know this now and I knew it when first starting him out. It took a very long time for me to start feeling comfortable with what I was doing with allowing him to fly like this. Our bond became stronger through the process of him learning to fly. Amigo seems, to me, to be, (I hate to say this), smarter than Sassy. I love the Sassy girl to pieces but she is such a ding-a-ling, I would never try this with her!

Parrots

TAG: Spirit, Senegal: Damon, Blue & Gold: Paris, Parrotlet: Opal, CAG :Boomer, Quaker: Widget and at a foster parents RLA: Danny. :D
    I was at a park where they where free flying birds here in CA. It was amazing to watch, but the horror stories some of the trainers told about losing there birds really makes you think twice. One guy lost a Hyacinth to a lose dog that caught his boy on the wing! The bird was flying into a recall when this dog ran out of the parking lot and jumped a good 6 feet up to grab the bird by the wing. Before he or the dog owner could reach them, the dog shook the macaw to death. The dog owner was beside her self. She never saw the bird and the dog had jumped over her shoulder and out the drives window as soon as she had stopped. She never had time to grab her dog or stop what happened.
    “She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.” ― Mark Twain

Nobility Member

Parrots

OMG, Shelly, that is such a tragically sad story!! Definitely something to think about while flying your bird in those areas! Thanks for sharing.

Parrots

Quincy CAG Hatched 03/2000 Gotcha @ 3 months old ~ Savannah GW Macaw Hatched 06/1993 Gotcha 4/2013 ~ Coqui B&G Macaw Hatched 09/2003 Gotcha 10/2013 ~ Sidney Blue Crown Conure Gotcha Day 06/2015 Hatch Date Guess 06/2010.
    OMG! That is awful. Reminds us that we all need to be on alert when our birds are outside.

"Nothing that matters comes easy, and nothing easy ever really matters." ~ Lyrics From Ordinary Girl By Rick Springfield

Bird Tricks is a bad site. I wouldn't trust the Womach brothers about anything. Theyre liars and con artists.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Mercedez, you are MORE vocal than I!! I love it! Yes, I have to agree this site is questionable and they want money to teach you--on line, correct? Do they have gatherings, where people can come to learn, in person?