PDA

View Full Version : Lady asking for help

Rescued
06-13-2013, 08:45 PM
I have been watching an add for some time now on my local craigslist, I am on the fence whether or not this woman genuinely sould recieve my help. the message is as follows

"I am in desperate need of a parrot cage in clean good condition. It is for a rescue Amazon Parrot I have. The cage she has is old and reallt needs replaced. I take wonderful care of this rescue bird but she needs a cage. Is there anyone with a good heart that may donate one or help me get one for an affordable price. I am on disability. Please contact me with all ideas. I am looking for a friend for her she seems to miss other birds. I am an experienced bird owner i have fostered cockatoos and as small as finches. I love birds and we will provide a wonderful forever home."

On the surface it seems as if she needs a helping hand, however in the same post she states that she is looking for an additional parrot as a "friend", this to me implies that she is either not genuine in her need, or is not considering the added cost of an additional bird. I am not sure what the logical next step is at this point, a little advice?

ShellyBorg
06-13-2013, 08:55 PM
The issue with CL right now in my area is we have so many
'flippers" that sound like they are in need and they just want free stuff. Ask to see pictures of bird and cage if you want to help. Tell them you would like to see what the bird is in now,many will never contact you back if they just want free stuff when confronted with needing to so proof of need.

spiritbird
06-13-2013, 09:08 PM
If she is desperate to get a cage then how on earth can she take care of another bird? It is fishy for sure.

Pinkbirdy
06-13-2013, 11:55 PM
I just took in Pearl [goffin 2] off craigslist .She was 200 dollars with cage. At first I didn't want to take her on. But I ended up becoming friends with the owner . She really could not keep her. Every phone call for Pearl [was a concern ] . The owner felt like people would get her then sell her . It was a disturbing thought . So Pearls with us.

Blancaej
06-14-2013, 12:16 AM
I like Shelly's suggestion of asking for proof. And I also agree with Dianne. If she can't afford a cage how is she going to take on another bird. Before you offer any help I would want to know more about the living conditions of the bird she has. You don't want to encourage someone to continue adopting birds if they can't care for them properly.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Turquoise
06-14-2013, 03:15 AM
I also agree this lady does not need another bird. Cages are not that expensive if she really looks for a good used one in her area. Even in my area parrot cages are always listed in the local CL, but seldom are the parrots. Adding another bird even if free will incur much more expense at least on a monthly basis. And unless she gets a decent amount from disability, she may have trouble taking care of the one she has now.

Definitely find out more about her and the Amazon she claims to have. I say this since often times the bird itself is a myth just to get sympathy and free things. I myself will not deal with people on CL unless I can drive to their location to see the animal in person. So far I have yet to buy from the site. I just don't trust people that easy who post on there.