PDA

View Full Version : Mice Issues....

tiffnmango
06-13-2013, 01:30 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this but I figured its a safety issue cause mice can carry all kinds of diseases....

Recently there have been a lot of mice making home near my Mango's cage. I'm sure it's because he's a messy eater lol and I keep the area clean but they won't go away. Does anybody have any ideas on how to deal with this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Blancaej
06-13-2013, 02:54 PM
I live in a very old house. Over 200 years old and we live in the country! We always have issues with mice. The best thing to do is leave traps out. If anything, they will learn to stay away from the cage area or it's dooms day! Just be aware where you are putting them and your bird does not have access to them. Under a piece of furniture and places your bird does not or will not go. I use the old fashioned traps, not poison or sticky traps. I also make it a point to store the birds food away from the cage area and also try avoiding keeping things around that may be good nesting spots for mice! I had a shelf that I kept baskets on in my dinning room with Quincy. These baskets I didn't check very often because it was just paper but there was like 6 baskets on this rack. Well mice began to nest in the baskets! :th_eek:. I decided to take the whole rack out of the dinning room completely and we haven't had problems with mice in there since. Now I have an old 3 drawer dresser I store papers in and I check it regularly for mice. No signs so far! So I found I needed to just avoid encouraging mice be it with food or a nice warm space to nest! Hope that helps!

ShellyBorg
06-13-2013, 03:16 PM
Make sure you set traps along walls and not away from them. Mice travel just around the outside of rooms hoping to find food with out leaving the safety of the walls.
Also if you start to vacuum before bed that helps. Most birds do not eat at night so there would be no food for the mice that night. If the bird does toss food after clean up , remove there food till the next morning.
I store all my foods in the freezer, no mice or moths that way.

Rescued
06-13-2013, 08:36 PM
I have had to use snap traps in the past, however they give me an anxiety attack because of the risk to my parrots. If you have to use snap traps try using them only in pantries and closets that doors are kept shut. They also make live traps that pose no danger, however you then have to release or dispose of the live mice in some way. I totally understand the trouble with them though, Growing up in a barn get you used to heart failure from jumping mice!

birdlady
06-13-2013, 09:23 PM
Maybe make a tunnel with the traps using a box or tissue box with small holes at each end for then to enter? Small enough so birds can not get in....

Oh I never used snap traps...I used the live ones and released then

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2