PDA

View Full Version : What are floofies?

Mare
06-12-2013, 05:11 PM
I know what they look like and I know they stick to things and send tentacles out that will jump to the next host but, are they down or a feather?

Mare
06-12-2013, 05:21 PM
Sassy, being the plucky little thing that she is, has them floating around most times. Are they rooted? I imagine they would have to be but I've never felt any kind of quill?

mrgoogls
06-12-2013, 06:06 PM
i have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. would you mind explaining? haha

Blancaej
06-12-2013, 06:08 PM
That is a good question! Quincy seems to always have a few of those floating around. I believe they are down. I don't know much else about them.

Mare
06-12-2013, 06:22 PM
They are that real soft feather that has no structure. I've only heard them called this and assume they are a feather but there doesn't seem to be a quill to it. My curious mind wants to know!

ConureCrazy
06-12-2013, 06:36 PM
Good question.. Oliver is going through a huge milt right now, I always sweep a bunch up. I'd like to know too.., I'd assume they're just down. :)

ShellyBorg
06-12-2013, 07:44 PM
They are down. That is why down and not feather are used in feathers pillows and beds. Nothing to poke you with!

Blancaej
06-12-2013, 07:55 PM
Aahhh, good point. I never thought of the reason. I figured they were down. Thanks for the info Shelly!

spiritbird
06-12-2013, 09:37 PM
I seem to end up with them in my clothes, on my toothbrush and many other places. One time even got one of the fluffies in my mouth!
can you just imagine how many it takes to make one down pillow?

Mare
06-13-2013, 04:09 AM
I seem to end up with them in my clothes, on my toothbrush and many other places. One time even got one of the fluffies in my mouth!
can you just imagine how many it takes to make one down pillow?

A butt load of cockatoos, I can tell you that!!

Turquoise
06-13-2013, 05:27 AM
I wished I'd had my camera handy one day last week. All of my birds are moulting fairly heavy right now. Roscoe was on his play perch by my computer preening. He pulled a floofy out and it stuck to his nose area. He clawed at it and rubbed his head, then it stuck to his tongue. He then flicked his head & clawed at it til it stuck to his foot. Once on his foot he acted like it was a monster attacking him. He was shaking his foot, bouncing around and having a fit about a little floofy. I finally grabbed it after I laughed at his actions and saved him from the *Feather Monster*

Mare
06-13-2013, 10:10 PM
Have you ever held one between two fingers then brought your opposite hand close to it? It's almost like they are alive, their little tentacles reach out towards that opposite hand and it you let go it will attach itself to that hand!

kackels
06-14-2013, 03:30 AM
Have you ever held one between two fingers then brought your opposite hand close to it? It's almost like they are alive, their little tentacles reach out towards that opposite hand and it you let go it will attach itself to that hand!

They are full of static. That's why they stick to everything!

Mare
06-14-2013, 05:06 AM
I figured that, kackels, it's still just a wonder to me. :)

Turquoise
06-14-2013, 06:48 AM
Hey Mare thought I'd put a photo of the floofy I so gingerly set up to look like a snowflake falling for a contest last year on a small parrot forum I belong to. It is hanging off my Norfolk Island Pine and even in the house, the slightest breeze sent it twirling. I first tried photos outside on my cactus and Mulberry tree, but the wind was just not cooperating. I did manage to win the contest, but to me it still does not look much like a snowflake.:th_LOL:

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

spiritbird
06-14-2013, 01:26 PM
Oh how pretty this photo is! We should see more of your pic. taking talents.

mrgoogls
06-14-2013, 09:22 PM
okay with that picture I know what you are talking about. I have just never heard them called "floofies". I have heard them called powder down. they are ment to help keep feathers clean. they are full of static to make things like dust and dirt stick to them. then they fall out of the feathers bringing the dust with them.

Turquoise
06-15-2013, 02:26 AM
Thank you Kenny for the great explanation about floofies. I have never read or heard that is what they do for birds.

My first thought would be for warmth since they are close to the skin and really thickly grouped.

Dianne, I have no picture taking talents to show. I have no idea how to really use a camera. The one I have now I still use mainly on auto, it is way smarter than me. I do hope to learn more about it one day so I can use it properly. Plus I need two different lenses for some of the photos I'd like to learn to take. Those lenses are super expensive, so that will not happen very soon. That particular photo was taken with my other camera I sent to my friend in NY. She makes medic alert jewelry and other kinds of hand cut & stamped jewelry and mentioned she would one day like a better camera for closeups. She likes Kodak Easy Share cameras the best & that is what my other one was, except mine had a better zoom than hers. And a few other qualities hers did not have. She was quite surprised when she opened the package with my old camera (It was 3 yrs. old).

mrgoogls
06-15-2013, 03:32 AM
Thank you Kenny for the great explanation about floofies. I have never read or heard that is what they do for birds.

My first thought would be for warmth since they are close to the skin and really thickly grouped.

Dianne, I have no picture taking talents to show. I have no idea how to really use a camera. The one I have now I still use mainly on auto, it is way smarter than me. I do hope to learn more about it one day so I can use it properly. Plus I need two different lenses for some of the photos I'd like to learn to take. Those lenses are super expensive, so that will not happen very soon. That particular photo was taken with my other camera I sent to my friend in NY. She makes medic alert jewelry and other kinds of hand cut & stamped jewelry and mentioned she would one day like a better camera for closeups. She likes Kodak Easy Share cameras the best & that is what my other one was, except mine had a better zoom than hers. And a few other qualities hers did not have. She was quite surprised when she opened the package with my old camera (It was 3 yrs. old).

no problem! I guess they can sort of of double to keep the bird warm, like if your bird lets you if u get your finger tip under the feathers on the back of their neck or back, it is extremely warm and you can see and feel and the powder down or "floofies"

Carefree Birdee
06-15-2013, 11:37 PM
I enjoyed this thread.....now I can consider my self a Floofie Expert. :th_wink:

mrgoogls
06-16-2013, 05:27 AM
just found this article with a bit about powder down. not a ton but kind of explains what I said.

Turquoise
06-16-2013, 09:23 AM
Thanks once again Kenny for the very interesting read on the link. I have been to that link before, I just didn't remember reading about the floofies. :th_LOL: I liked reading about showering birds as well as about the powder down~floofies~

Thought I'd add a few more floofy photos. This time Leyla belle, my female ekkie is wearing a Floofy Hat. I really don't know why the floofy was just sitting on her head, but it was so cute I grabbed the camera & she posed for the pics like a pro model.:th_biggrin: I love this girl~~She is my Diva!:th_hug8:

Mare
06-17-2013, 01:57 AM
Kenny, that was a great explanation of not only floofies but also why birds in the wild, do the things they do, thanks!

Debra
06-17-2013, 12:32 PM
Gotta love them redheads!

joan
06-22-2013, 07:34 PM
Thought you might like to know the correct name for the white floofies is File Feather .